Home

an awesome, very realistic game.

This is a discussion on an awesome, very realistic game. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
an awesome, very realistic game.

I just played the most fun, realistic football game ive ever seen or played. A game that not many people talk about, yet most of you have probably played before I bet youre wondering what it is. Well, its the 05 version of this particuler franchise. The game is called Madden 2005.

Yes, you heard me right. Madden 2005. You know, Madden, those crappy games that EA made these past few years. You know, the one loaded with bugs. The one where getting a good online match is almost impossible because of all the cheesing. Yes, I am talking about That Madden.
Anyways, enough with the ranting, here comes the story.

It was a dark, rainy afternoon in northern Arizona, a day with which to play inside. I had been a bit depressed that day, and it wasnt just because of the rain. I had been playing Madden 08 online that morning. I had just become skill level 2 online the night before. I was thrilled. I was beginning to seperate from the pack of all the pathetic level 1's. Unfortunately, reality set in. First game, 14-24 loss. 270 rushing yards and 3 td's by Terrell Owens. Second game, 20-41 loss. 336 receiving yards by Dante Stallworth and 4 td's. Third Game, 3-21 loss. 15 sacks on Peyton Manning, 3 of 13 with 4 interceptions. Addai 42 rushing yards on 38 attempts.
As you can see, the morning had not gone well. Tired of being cheated, I exited out of xbox live and decided to play some of my franchise. Started training my team for the week. Did all challenges on all-pro. Lost all 3. I started the next game on my schedule, which happened to be the super bowl, a matchup between the Colts and the Rams. That game I won 31-17. Simmed the pro bowl, advanced to the off season. Checked retired players. Nothing out of the ordinary, except that Brett Favre was there. After that, I checked out my players progression for the season. Joseph Addai did not improve at all after a 1456 yd, 12 td season. Anthony Gonzalez, gains 3 awareness, overall goes up by 1 after catching the ball 58 times for 790 yards and 5 td's. Looked at the rest of my time. Almost no progression whatsoever. I looked at the seasonal awards. Manning didnt get MVP because he only threw for 4,329 yards with 42 touchdowns. Who should win it but Brady, with 5126 yards and 48 touchdowns. Finished the rest of the offseason and saved my progress.

I began to walk upstairs when I saw a game case on the floor. Madden 2005, it was. I was about to put it away when I decided that I would play it for a little while. Why, I dont know. So, I ate lunch and popped Madden 2005 in my Gamecube and turn on the power. Good ol' Ray Lewis pops up saying, "Defense wins Championships" as he lays a big hit on a brown. Progress to the main menu and start up a franchise mode. I picked the New York Giants. Then, it was time for training camp. I put 3 points into Eli Mannings pass accuracy and his overall goes up by 2. I put 3 points into Warners pass accuracy to raise his overall by two. Traded Warner over to the Steelers for Plaxico Burress and a 3rd round pick.
I started the first game in the preseason on all-pro. I run a hb dive play with Tiki Barber and gain 2 yards. Next I do a double drags play. Pass completed for 5 yards. 3 and 3, I choose an all curls play. I step back to throw, I see the rush coming up the middle, so I back up while looking for a receiver. Well, one of the blitzers decided to go around and he decked me, loss of 12 yards. I go back and look at the replay and I noticed something interesting. There was a Pocket! Yes, a pocket, and I had walked right out the back of it. Intrigued, I call another pass play. I took 5 steps back, and lo and behold, there was a pocket formed around my qb, shielding him from harm. I throw a high bullet pass to Burress, he gets hit hard and drops, turnover on downs. Next drive, I make it all the way to the 29 yard line, but then 4th down came up. It was only about a 48 yard field goal, so I wasnt worried. I pressed the kick button 3 times, 98 power with 64 accuracy. Easy field goal, or so I thought. It was heading straight for the goal posts, and it started to hook. Missed Field goal. As I continued to play the game, I began to realize that this was the funnest football game id ever played. I did end up losing 10-13, but it was fun anyway. Tiki barber ran for 82 yards with 3.8 yards per carry. Manning threw for 1 touchdown and 2 picks, 176 yards with 54% completion rate.

I completed the pre-season. Manning gained 3 awareness and 1 accuracy and progression and went up to 85 overall. I kept on playing. On week 6, I noticed Mannings rating had gone up again. He gained 2 awareness and his overall went up to 86. Three game later, he threw for 336 yards and 4 touchdowns. His accuracy and awareness went up by 2 and his overall went up to 88. Tony Bruno named him fantasy player of the week.

I could go on, but there isnt really neccesary. The point is that EA has proven that they can make top quality titles. I mean, there are many many many things that 05 is better at than 08. Better, smoother, more realistic, and more reliable animations. Blocking mechanics are much better. Pass lead sensitivity is just about right, while in 08 it is far too low. Lob passes actually have uses other than bombs to receivers with 97+ speed. Lob passes move the correct speed and defenders reaction speeds seem realistic. Madden 05 just had it all mostly right, so why did EA have to go and change it. Well, there are two main reasons. 1. New systems to make the games on, so theu have to start all the coding and programming from scratch with those. 2. Lack of competition. Ever since 2k and Gameday have gone, Madden's quality has been declining. EA made madden great in 2005, and I honestly think they should combine the gameplay and animations of 05 with the graphics and controls of 08. If they did that, it would be the ultimate football game.

ps. For those of you who are frustrated with 08, go pick up a copy of 05 and play it instead, because 05 is monumentally better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: an awesome, very realistic game.

Try to make a post without such harsh insults, it's more effective. I like the last gen maddens, the ones after 2005 built upon it.

Madden 2005 was awesome because it gave us much more in collection content compared to this versions game. We got two 32-bit maddens, and one 16 bit madden.

Most likely I will be buying the Madden 2009 ps2 version this year.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
Try to make a post without such harsh insults, it's more effective. I like the last gen maddens, the ones after 2005 built upon it.

Madden 2005 was awesome because it gave us much more in collection content compared to this versions game. We got two 32-bit maddens, and one 16 bit madden.

Most likely I will be buying the Madden 2009 ps2 version this year.
Oh, alright, less insults.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

a nice trip down memory lane. And I have forgotten all about Madden '08. I am waiting for Madden '09.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Banned

bsb13's Arena

OVR: 30

My only true gripe with madden 2005 was the pass interference bug. Probably my favorite version of madden also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2008, 12:06 AM   #6
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Yep. Madden '05' was my favorite too.

But like CB...I'm looking FORWARD to '09'.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:17 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Yep. Madden '05' was my favorite too.

But like CB...I'm looking FORWARD to '09'.
You go ahead and do that. Ill just enjoy the better, older, and cheaper game.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLeon4
You go ahead and do that. Ill just enjoy the better, older, and cheaper game.
So how is Madden 09...does it have a good franchise, online league and good gameplay? Also do the players play their ratings? Oh yeah, how are the stats too, they realistic? Forgot one, how is the adaptive AI?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »