Home

looks boring 2 me

This is a discussion on looks boring 2 me within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #49
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: looks boring 2 me

guys, lets drop the whether 2K is a better game or not discussion. We all know how its going to end up.

Please let it go.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #50
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfletch71
Its called IMMERSION!!! Madden has a lack of it, and it shows. They so focused on the casual gamers, that they are forgetting about the hardcore gamers. Refs on field, pre-half-post games shows, franchise like 2k5 did it. If madden was to do this, the majority would be content. Look at all pro 2k8 sidelines and the interaction between players. Stuff like that holds it WOW factor and keep people playing, even after years..look at 2k5. So madden needs to prioritize PRESENTATION and FRANCHISE!!. Gameplay is always good, so just tweak that.
Actually, I think that stuff draws in the casual gamer moreso than the hardcore gamer. Eye candy doesn't go too far with me these days if your basics aren't covered **cough** NCAA 09. Don;t get me wrong, I give Madden a 1 rating in regards to overall presentation, and theres nothing better than seeing all that ala 2K5. But all that presentation with shoddy gameplay makes for a bad game.

Sadly, we'll never see any of what we saw in 2k5 on Madden. EA just doesnt want to put the time into it. I'm thoroughly convinced of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I think at least part of the presentation problem can be attributed to the online-driven direction of sports gaming. How many times do you or your opponent not skip a cutscene or replay? Some people even consider it in poor taste to watch a replay of a nice TD, goal, etc. As long as companies focus on online gaming (casual or hardcore), I think the type of presentation a lot of us are looking for will take a backseat...
I disagree. Online with NCAA, when the game first starts it immediately skips all the talking intro from Nessler. EA can easily code it to not show cut scenes or limit the amount of them, etc.

Last edited by stoncold32; 07-28-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:58 AM   #51
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc68

The only reason people say 2K5 is 1,000,000 times better than any Madden ever!!! Is they are bitter...plain and simple bitterness.

Well I loved the 2k game and still play it today.. I am not bitter it is just a good football game.

I will say that Ian and his crew really worked hard changing the face of the game this year..., My two biggest gripes are gang tackling and Leading all my throws.. They addressed both.. Long overdue, but I am not complaining at all.....Finally they seem to have addressed alot of the short comings..at least to me they have... So Im am gonna try it this year..I will rent it and see if I like it...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #52
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
I disagree. Online with NCAA, when the game first starts it immediately skips all the talking intro from Nessler. EA can easily code it to not show cut scenes or limit the amount of them, etc.
No doubt that the devs could work it so that certain cutscenes & what not are not shown online but are used offline. I also agree that it probably wouldn't be that difficult, although I don't know much about the nuts & bolts of making games so take that for what it's worth (not much). But my point was that with companies focusing more on the online experience, they probably have the presentation aspect (which is more for the offline experience) further down the list of priorities...
Old 07-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #53
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
No doubt that the devs could work it so that certain cutscenes & what not are not shown online but are used offline. I also agree that it probably wouldn't be that difficult, although I don't know much about the nuts & bolts of making games so take that for what it's worth (not much). But my point was that with companies focusing more on the online experience, they probably have the presentation aspect (which is more for the offline experience) further down the list of priorities...
I agree with this. It certainly effects franchise mode as well. The focus has shifted heavily towards online for the 360/PS3. You see it in reviews...scores dropped for solid games because they don't have a detailed online multiplayer. I recall Ian mentioning an idea for a hardcore mode that is sopposed to be ultra-sim with no "bells and whistles." To me this sounds like it caters more to the online crowd also. What if I want to play a franchise game against the CPU with hardcore gameplay, but all the bells and whistles."

By the way, I'm not saying that Ian said there would definitively be no presentation with his idea...it's just how it came off to me I wouldn't want to get the guy in trouble...lol
Old 07-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #54
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Madden has always had bad or cheesy presentation. I don't expect it to change anytime soon.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 07-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 4

^^^ \'98s presentation was hot though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #56
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I recall Ian mentioning an idea for a hardcore mode that is sopposed to be ultra-sim with no "bells and whistles." To me this sounds like it caters more to the online crowd also. What if I want to play a franchise game against the CPU with hardcore gameplay, but all the bells and whistles."

By the way, I'm not saying that Ian said there would definitively be no presentation with his idea...it's just how it came off to me I wouldn't want to get the guy in trouble...lol
Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about as I too, remember him saying that. Not to blow it all out of proportion but it really made me question the thinking over at EA. It's almost like they have a misperception of what sim gamers want out of a football game. Once Madden 09 is said and done, I wonder what direction this franchise is going to take with Ian & Phil at the helm. Sometimes, you get the feeling that EA and co. are going to make the game more authentic as most of us feel they should. Then, sometimes they may say something that displays a bit of hesistation to go away from the forumula that they've been using for years. Only time will tell.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »