Home

accelerated clock

This is a discussion on accelerated clock within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #25
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: accelerated clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfansiny79
can we gey any news on this from the madden guys that come on here?
"We have to focus our energy on high priority issues that will allow us to fall under the 4MB limit. Accelerated Clock will not be included in patch 1 because that alone put us over the 4MB limit. The good news with accel clock is that we got it working, proving that we can patch in data which has historically been a no-no for us. We are investigating another solution for providing features to consumers post-launch so that we can still get accel clock out for 09.

Phil"

This is the most recent commentary on the clock from Phil Frazier in the EGM Review thread. Hope this helps
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #26
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: accelerated clcok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Yes, yes, yes...kids just don't respond to "stop riding the dog and throwing your lunch...daddy's playing Madden." I would love to have this feature back!
So true lol. In game saves are crucial for us with kids. Trying to find a full hour of peace and quiet to play a game is difficult. But not just for Madden! NCAA too!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #27
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
So true lol. In game saves are crucial for us with kids. Trying to find a full hour of peace and quiet to play a game is difficult. But not just for Madden! NCAA too!
lol...have you tried Metal Gear? It's like trying to watch a suspense movie with the kid around. "Daddy, what's nannymachines?" "Daddy, why'd you shoot that wolf lady...that's not nice." There are some things best left for after bed time...hopefully Madden won't always be
Old 07-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #28
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
lol...have you tried Metal Gear? It's like trying to watch a suspense movie with the kid around. "Daddy, what's nannymachines?" "Daddy, why'd you shoot that wolf lady...that's not nice." There are some things best left for after bed time...hopefully Madden won't always be
No but I have completed the Bourne Conspiracy and shooting people in the head isn't exactly what I want my kids watching either lol. There are things best left for after bed time except sometimes I'm too tired to put in a full game of NCAA. I just want to take a snooze myself! What also sucks with post bed time gaming is that the volume has to come down so I "don't wake the children!". HFA doesn't quite have the same feel sometimes.

As for the accelerated clock, I have always liked this option in the past as its the best way to have more accurate time of possession and end of game/half strategy.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #29
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
No but I have completed the Bourne Conspiracy and shooting people in the head isn't exactly what I want my kids watching either lol. There are things best left for after bed time except sometimes I'm too tired to put in a full game of NCAA. I just want to take a snooze myself! What also sucks with post bed time gaming is that the volume has to come down so I "don't wake the children!". HFA doesn't quite have the same feel sometimes.

As for the accelerated clock, I have always liked this option in the past as its the best way to have more accurate time of possession and end of game/half strategy.
Yup...I started using head phones for the volume thing (though games like Metal Gear, with their tremendous audio, are best on the surround sound...oh well). That's why in game saves are so important to me...it's a game that I can enjoy with my son...kid safe, so to speak.

I agree about the clock...when implemented correctly it allows for more realistic management and stats too.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #30
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Why is the accelerated clock such a big deal? APF has it and I always turn it off. On one hand everyone wants the game to de realistic, on the other they want an accelerated clock, I don't get it. I hope if they add it we can turn it off.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #31
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Why is the accelerated clock such a big deal? APF has it and I always turn it off. On one hand everyone wants the game to de realistic, on the other they want an accelerated clock, I don't get it. I hope if they add it we can turn it off.
The accelerated clock adds to the realism of the game by allowing you to generate more realistic play calling (over the course of a whole game), clock management, stats, etc. Not sure I get the implication that it somehow detracts from realism. I do agree that it should be an option though, it's not for everyone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #32
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
I posted this a while back:

The big advantage to having this really comes into play in the 4th Quarter. If you have a 8 min qt., no accel clock, you can theorectically run out the clock if you get 4-5 first downs (yes TOs and such come into play, but the CPU won't take those before the 2 min warning). The 40 play clock is a larger percentage of 8 min. Part of the issue is that a human can do this and kill the clock, the CPU, however won't. You feel like you are cheating becasue the CPU won't milk it.

Now if you run a 12 min accel clock, now you need 6-7 first downs at least to kill the quarter - harder to do. Also 40 seconds is a smaller % of 12 minutes. Plus each play, outside the 2, runs at least 20-25 seconds off the clock, much more realistic that the 5-10 seconds run off without the accel clock.

The12 min accel clock quarter will give you 120 plays and just flows great - both teams take about the same amount of time per play.

You can get 120 plays or so out of a 8 min, no accel clock, but if you are straight out playing to win you can really skew the numbers, esp in the 4th quarter. Plus the flow kinda stinks as the plays seem to come rapid fire.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »