Home

Madden is missing something... I call it Star Power

This is a discussion on Madden is missing something... I call it Star Power within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Madden is missing something... I call it Star Power

Yes, Star Power. What does it mean to be a star in the NFL? Not only can a star take over the game on the field, but they also take over the game off the field.

For example. Stars get the camera's attention, even when they're sitting on the bench, like T.O. laughing with Romo on the sideline. Stars get broadcasters' attention even when they're not doing anything in a game - "The Bengals offense is really struggling tonight, due in no small part to Chad Johnson's lack of production. He's only got 1 catch for 7 yards tonight."

What's my point? Other than the new 'weapons' system, which is interesting but not truly revolutionary, Madden seems to glaze over these players. They need to take the spotlight in games and in franchise mode. The commentary needs to recognize them. I remember in Madden 06 when the 'Radio Guy' referred to Chad Johnson simply as 'Chad', Owens as 'TO'. That was a tiny baby step in the direction I'm talking about. Nicknames are a big part of stardom, and they should be used as they are in real NFL broadcasts.

Another way that future Madden games can represent this Star Power is by implementing a personality system. Maybe a three-point personality system that defines how they behave. Chad Johnson: 1 - Prima Donna, 2 - Showboat, 3 - Joker. Marvin Harrison: 1 - Modesty, 2 - Leadership, 3 - Team Player. Their post-play reactions will reflect these traits, just as they do when you watch them on TV. Obviously, some teams have multiple stars (Cowboys, Patriots, etc.), and some have only one (Vikings with AD, Chargers with Tomlinson, I suppose). Stars can have certain relationships with other stars that affect their performance (two Prima Donna WR's who both want to be #1 may have a conflict with each other). Stars who are on poorly performing teams may get frustrating and behave according to their traits, unless they are a 'team player'.

I know the franchise mode has this 'player wants' thing. But it needs to go way beyond that. Stars truly are what make the NFL so appealing to so many people, and they need to steal the show in Madden the same way they do on Sunday. I'm hoping that they recognize this and implement this somehow in Madden titles in the future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Madden is missing something... I call it Star Power

point taken:

What you call "Star Power," I consider presentation. They do need signature styles. I hate things like scoring a TD with marvin harrison and seeing him do ANY kind of dance. They need to pay attention to detail. Presentation overall is where the game is lacking because it doesn't feel like we're playing quality and it's demoralizing. agreed.

PS. Weapons system was ALWAYS a dumb idea to me. it's nothing more than a tutorial that tells non-NFL fans who's good and who's not. It's not like those little icons under their feet changed anything outside of the ratings. stupid feature.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 07-31-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Madden is missing something... I call it Star Power

What Madden is missing is APF 2k8's player abilities. It gave APF 2k8 a soul. Players played like their real selves. There's more strategy involved when you have to use a player a certain way. In APF there is big difference between Jerry Rice and Herman Moore. Or Earl Campbell and Barry Sanders. The abilites system would translate beautifully to Madden 09. Rod Woodson is a shut down corner so I have to pick my spots and throw slants when possible and read his coverage. In Madden you run plays expecting them to work because they should, not due to an adjustment. The Weapons system in Madden needs advanced and refined. Its not broad enough.

Last edited by loudiamonds1979; 07-31-2008 at 02:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »