Home

More info on CPU Sliders (from EA)

This is a discussion on More info on CPU Sliders (from EA) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #25
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: More info on CPU Sliders (from EA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifiok25
Man, don't we all look stupid now? People always whine about EA's changes.
No, I don't think so. It's still likely a step back for sim/hc users. It puts a fair few CPU sliders (not all) into the hands of the game's difficulty setting.

What EA have basically done is taken away some CPU sliders that were redundant (CPU break block, CPU tackle etc) since they have a human slider opposite, and then replaced the other CPU sliders (QBA, Catch, run ability, def awr) with a slider that can have 5 different settings from rookie to beyond all-madden. This system relies too heavily on the difficulty settings delivering, plus it bunches a few sliders together - CPU QBA and CPU catch are now seemingly shared by the Top level Human Pass D difficulty slider.

It is not a flawed design per se, it just places very little room for error in how a certain aspect such as CPU accuracy is hard coded. If it takes a low human pass D slider to make CPU QBA realistic, it may render them too stupid, for instance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #26
Rookie

HuskAir's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull
You know, he might be onto something here. If we lower the QB ratings that might tone down the Robo QB's. Would be a pain, but not too difficult. Perhaps Abner can take a stab at this, and see if it has any impact.
Do you know how many QBs there are? Once you start editing starters, backups will begin jumping them...and then their backups. If you forget QBs in the free agency, teams will begin swiping them up. Sounds like a load of frustration for me, unless there is a way for EA to do a global awareness adjustment (oh wait, that's what a slider is for.)
Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #27
Pro

JBucc's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
Maybe editing the QB individual rating?
Maybe they could do a roster update that universally drops the QBA ratings by 10 or 15 or whatever gives the best results.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
No, I don't think so. It's still likely a step back for sim/hc users. It puts a fair few CPU sliders (not all) into the hands of the game's difficulty setting.

What EA have basically done is taken away some CPU sliders that were redundant (CPU break block, CPU tackle etc) since they have a human slider opposite, and then replaced the other CPU sliders (QBA, Catch, run ability, def awr) with a slider that can have 5 different settings from rookie to beyond all-madden. This system relies too heavily on the difficulty settings delivering, plus it bunches a few sliders together - CPU QBA and CPU catch are now seemingly shared by the Top level Human Pass D difficulty slider.

It is not a flawed design per se, it just places very little room for error in how a certain aspect such as CPU accuracy is hard coded. If it takes a low human pass D slider to make CPU QBA realistic, it may render them too stupid, for instance.
Sorry for sounding so blunt. So are there new sliders as well? I hope so. They've had the same ones forever. Hopefully in game saves made the game too.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #29
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8

I know the EA guys are doing their best attempt at damage control here but I'm just not buying it. They keep saying what is in the game and how you can use it, etc, but none of that really matters because without having working cpu sliders the game is broken or unfinished (whatever term you want to use) and I gaurantee we won't be seeing realistic stats in our games this year when playing games vs cpu.

As many others have mentioned, I know I want and need to be able to adjust the cpu accuracy as well as a few other cpu traits or I will never ever get realistic stats.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #30
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull
You know, he might be onto something here. If we lower the QB ratings that might tone down the Robo QB's. Would be a pain, but not too difficult. Perhaps Abner can take a stab at this, and see if it has any impact.
This would only be a viable option for playing exhibition games. Playing online where a default roster is mandatory or playing franchise where player progression takes place and rookies enter the league with an awareness rating scaled to the normal way the awareness rating is in the game would render this option useless.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #31
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBucc
Maybe they could do a roster update that universally drops the QBA ratings by 10 or 15 or whatever gives the best results.
That wont happen

Lets see what we as a community can figure out how to adjust the game. Give Ian some help, he asked what did he think he would NOT modify with the sliders as is. I listed a couple, are there other? Like Pared said, some we cant directly adjust the CPU, we adjust our sliders and in turn it effects how CPU plays

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #32
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifiok25
Sorry for sounding so blunt. So are there new sliders as well? I hope so. They've had the same ones forever. Hopefully in game saves made the game too.
Ian's post outlines the new sliders. The whole structure is new.

I think it's quite possible we may be able to achieve decent sim gameplay against the CPU in 09.....we just may not have much control doing it. It's going to rely HEAVILY on how well the gameplay is coded AI wise from an overall sense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »