Home

More info on CPU Sliders (from EA)

This is a discussion on More info on CPU Sliders (from EA) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #65
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: More info on CPU Sliders (from EA)

Ian, thanks for posting this after the poopstorm last night.

Anyway, does the adaptive AI take into account player ratings at all? Meaning if I play with the worst rush d in the league will the game keep adapting to make it easier for me to stop the run that eventually I'm giving up nothing on the ground regardless of the team I play against?

It is possible for you to give us more details as to how this adaptive AI works?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 11

I appreciate your explanation, Ian, but in the spirit of "moving forward", how do we correct the problem? I understand the answer is implied in your explanation, but is that it?

See, here's the thing: these new sliders would be more palatable if the cpu wasn't robo qb and actually played a little more realistically (there's that word again) with underthrown/overthrown balls once in a while. Can this not be patched? And if so, can it be done by August 12?

And Bill, or anyone else who has the game, will you please try the suggestion mentioned earlier in this thread about two users with one switched to cpu after loading the matchup? I'm curious to see if that impacts anything.

Last edited by Flamehead; 08-01-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #67
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State-31 UNC-27
So you RAISE the human sliders to make the game harder? This couldn't be more confusing.

And when you raise the Passing slider, we don't really know what it does right now......we'll just have to look at the "sub sliders"

What if we put the passing slider at 20 (the hardest, apparently?) and the sub sliders at 0? Would 0 for pass blocking mean no pass blocking at all? Or perfect pass blocking? Is it effected at all by the main slider rating of 20?

W.....T.........F!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it's pretty simple, at least this is how I understand it. Madden was always about difficulty setting first, gameplay sliders second. The difficulty influenced how you approached sliders.

This is no different, except instead of one global difficulty, you have four - throwing, runing, run d, pass d. These are called "top level sliders", as per Ian's post. And instead of a bunch of gameplay sliders categorized under "Offense", "Defense" and "Special Teams", you now have three "sub sliders" for each of those four "top level sliders".

It is my understanding each "sub slider" represents a fraction. Say All Madden pass offense can be labelled '4.0', then bringing each of the "sub sliders" up gradually increase that to a 4.1, 4.2 etc. I.e., the lowest "sub slider" setting is the lowest its "top level" slider can go. In this case, having 0 sub sliders would mean the passing offense is, in total, at the default All Madden level.

If I'm right, it's a lot simplier to understand than it is to explain in writing.

Last edited by Nza; 08-01-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #68
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead

And Bill, or anyone else who has the game, will you please try the suggestion mentioned earlier in this thread about two users with one switched to cpu after loading the matchup? I'm curious to see if that impacts anything.
Yep, that's on the To Do list.

Editor in Chief Gameshark.Com
http://www.gameshark.com
Old 08-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #69
Pro

Ankido's Arena

OVR: 14

Now I understand the whole concept of no CPU sliders. If you look at this way, the CPU never needed slider adjustements. The problem is with "BUGS" that cause the CPU to do superman like abilities. This forces us to adjust CPU sliders. What EA is trying to do is keep CPU sliders to the difficulty of the game. The only time sliders need to be adjusted is by how the user players. Say your playing a season and the sliders begin to adjust to your play style and your defense is horrible. After the first season is over you aquire new defensive talent thus making your D much better in the second season. So what do the sliders do? The sliders start to change in favor for your defense because you've improved. This means you don't have to adjust CPu sliders because the AI is already doing it for you. Well not the CPU sliders but the human sliders.

I SEE I SEE, this could be viable in franchise mode. However, I still don't see how the QB accuracy and all that other jazz that could pose a problem will be fixed. Maybe in patches I hope?

Hey, great job I'm starting to like this. Only time will tell when we get our copies.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #70
Pro

DereckM's Arena

OVR: 8

Ian so are you gonna make a push for next year to have sliders for the cpu? Maybe different sliders for QB acc and QB power? Some of us have been asking for that for a few years now.

Ive given up on madden 09. Im just thinking with you being in the mix with 2010 we can get a few more of the things we really want from a sim gamer stand point I guess.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #71
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankido
Now I understand the whole concept of no CPU sliders. If you look at this way, the CPU never needed slider adjustements. The problem is with "BUGS" that cause the CPU to do superman like abilities. This forces us to adjust CPU sliders. What EA is trying to do is keep CPU sliders to the difficulty of the game. The only time sliders need to be adjusted is by how the user players. Say your playing a season and the sliders begin to adjust to your play style and your defense is horrible. After the first season is over you aquire new defensive talent thus making your D much better in the second season. So what do the sliders do? The sliders start to change in favor for your defense because you've improved. This means you don't have to adjust CPu sliders because the AI is already doing it for you. Well not the CPU sliders but the human sliders.

I SEE I SEE, this could be viable in franchise mode. However, I still don't see how the QB accuracy and all that other jazz that could pose a problem will be fixed. Maybe in patches I hope?

Hey, great job I'm starting to like this. Only time will tell when we get our copies.
If you look at it from that perspective, then it does make sense. I hope that the CPU plays realistically depending on the skill level it's set on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgoalie37
Ian, thanks for posting this after the poopstorm last night.

Anyway, does the adaptive AI take into account player ratings at all? Meaning if I play with the worst rush d in the league will the game keep adapting to make it easier for me to stop the run that eventually I'm giving up nothing on the ground regardless of the team I play against?

It is possible for you to give us more details as to how this adaptive AI works?
Yeah, thats a good question. I was wondering if I sucked at defense (pass defense) in game 1 of my franchise, would the next game be easier in that aspect and continue to go up and down as opposed to staying at a certain level.

The team I played against was called FCS. I don't recognize that school but I'd hate to be their football team in real life. I don't think they're going anywhere this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »