Home

Bring back the cone! on NextGen

This is a discussion on Bring back the cone! on NextGen within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #33
Rookie

jagsfan82's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Bring back the cone! on NextGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQman2121
My suggestion is to have the cone, but make it invisible. Here me out here......

Passing plays are already designed to have a go-to guy (highlighted in orange) who the play is designed for, and who you can change at the line by pressing R2/RT and the button. That highlighted player should be the first player the QB looks at and has his arm ready to release the ball too. What they could implement is a system where you have to double tap the button if you want to pass to a different receiver. Meaning the first tap changes the QB's vision and the second throws the ball.
That is a very good idea
Old 08-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #34
Pro

Wilk5280's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
NO , The passing cone was terrible. Not only does it take to much time to use but it also shows your opponent where you are looking to throw. Bad feature, let it die.
LMFAO!!! Uh, that's kind of the point. You think that qb's in real life don't look at where they're throwing the ball?? TOO F'N FUNNY!!!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 01:31 AM   #35
Rookie

XXL78's Arena

OVR: 3

Average QBs dont go through all five reads in their progression before they pass the ball,maybe one or two then dump it off.but great QBs like Manning and Brady see the almost the whole field and go through their progressions lightning quick and most of the time find the open man.How good a QB can see the field is the most important attribute a QB can have.How many laser rocket arm QBs have flopped in the NFL cause they couldnt find the open man to save their lives,they had no VISION they dont see the field like great QBs do.But with no cone of some kind,now all QBs are Manning and Brady combined. I'm not saying the cone was perfect the way it was,but they need to figure out a way to differenciate the great QBs from the average ones.Make a more efficient(easier to use for all the whiners) vision cone,and put some realism BACK into the passing game. actually i have an idea,you hike the ball and the cone is already on your number one option then to switch the cone you simply press the corresponding button to look at that reciever and press it again to throw it to them,no extra buttons no holding down triggers,simple, yet realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 AM   #36
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStillDoWhatIDo
I was the #1 fan of the cone. The first year it came out was when it was most effective. If you didn't have that flashlight directly on the receiver, it was a bad pass. I liked most that you could look off defenders, if u were good with it. I also loved that the cone was just like the QB's eyes, so if u pump faked, it would disappear.

However, the cone was so controversial, that I will just take the L on this one.
Pretty much my thoughts as well. It's too unpopular for me to try to resurrect the issue. I'll let it die and get to the task of coming up with something that makes AWR mean something but doesn't impede players.

To the OP-- I like your points, but man... google "paragraph"... it's the latest thing in writing.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #37
MVP

OVR: 12

I hated the cone. I thought it was dumb looking and unrealistic.

I am the quarterback. I am scanning the field for receivers. I don't want to have to play around with a dumb flashlight in order to get my passes completed.

It doesn't matter if it's more realistic or not - what matters is that it takes away from the fun. Realism does NOT always equal fun. Plus, looking from one side of the field to another is an instant, blink-of-an-eye reaction for quarterbacks. In Madden, you have to wait for the flashlight to move from one side of the field to another. We already have too many buttons to cycle through - adding the right-stick makes it more annoying.

I don't mind it being an OPTION, but it should not be a standard feature that every has to play with.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQman2121
My suggestion is to have the cone, but make it invisible. Here me out here......

Passing plays are already designed to have a go-to guy (highlighted in orange) who the play is designed for, and who you can change at the line by pressing R2/RT and the button. That highlighted player should be the first player the QB looks at and has his arm ready to release the ball too. What they could implement is a system where you have to double tap the button if you want to pass to a different receiver. Meaning the first tap changes the QB's vision and the second throws the ball.

They could even design a system where you can drop back looking at another receiver to look off the DB's and then quickly pass to the original receiver. Something as simple as holding R2 and L2 + the corresponding receivers button.
I think your on to something here. Good idea, not too cumbersome. I think it is pretty widely known that the majority of people LIKE the IDEA of the passing cone, but, DO NOT like the way the idea was implemented.

This idea alone could probably be a good thread b/c it's obvious that something like this needs to be in future Maddens.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 6

the cone was great!!

no running the qb out of the pocket right after the snap to the sidelines.

you had to go thru your reads

peyton/brady cones were weak as they could just "start in the middle" and never have to move them

maybe elinimate the vison and have the qb turn his shoulders to face the correct shoulder.

the cone was easy to use(reg xbox) hold R trigger, then while holding click receiver to look at him.
wanna pass to a, push R trigger then A. lookint at wr a, but wanna pass to wr B.....while holding R trigger push b twice(1st time to look at him, then 2nd to pass)
you could actually look off safeties thus cover 3 wasnt so effective.

bring it back, but mod it ian.
and DO NOT make it optional.

i like my shoulder turning theory instead of the flashlight, that alone would stop the whole field being in play after you cut it in half by running to one side or by staring down/looking at one one side of the field. force the shopulders to aim at the target ala a real qb
no cone, yet the same feature

Last edited by DonRSD; 08-04-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #40
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeStrangeSin
i liked the cone i had no problems using it or switching to other receivers however i always though it was backwards for instance carson palmer had a huge cone because his accuracy was high however i think it needs to be the better the accuracy the smaller like a "pinpoin passer" and for qbs who had bad accuracy the cone should be bigger lol it needs to be the other way around.
if they made passing the R2 button and used the cone there would be no reason for player button icons pluse this would make the game more difficult which i like i want a game that takes skill to win.
The cone was to simulate field vision, not accuracy. The size was based off of awareness. More aware, see more of the field. It's the vision cone, not the accuracy cone.

I myself didnt mind it. It gave a good way to simulate awareness for user qbs. But if you threw it to someone outside of the cone, the throw was still far too accurate.

The thing i didnt like was the fact that all it did was change passing to 2 buttons. rather than hit the B receiver, i'd just hold the R trigger and tap b, then press it again to throw.

To simplify it i think they should just go with 3 sections of the field, and based off of awareness they can see 1 2 or 3 at a time. I think that makes it better than double pressing to throw, and at the same time it makes turning the vision much easier. It was hard to get it right on a receiver when manually turning it with the r stick in the past. turn off the icons that are not in the qbs vision so you cant even throw to them without looking. randomize the icons that come into the vision when it moves. And with the icons disappearing when not in the vision, it eliminates the need to show the actual cone on the field, which i thought was kinda annoying.

Or another idea, use trigger passing like fever. press and hold the receiver button to look at him, push the trigger to throw. Less aware qbs take a little longer to 'find' their receiver when you press the button.

And either way, give the on and off option to those who dont like it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »