Home

What kind of customization would you like in future Maddens?

This is a discussion on What kind of customization would you like in future Maddens? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 AM   #49
Rookie

PuddleMonkey's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: What kind of customization would you like in future Maddens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foddzy
Sliders. Sliders. Sliders!

I want tons of sliders for every imaginable aspect of football, break the sliders we have had in the past down into subcomponents and give a slider for each.

For example: Instead of just "QB accuracy" break that down into arm strength, arm speed, pocket accuracy, scrambling accuracy, read speed (for CPU slider), accuracy stamina, clutch play accuracy, short accuracy, bomb accuracy etc, etc...

Do the same for team and coach tendencies.

Add some "game speed" type sliders for global movement, acceleration, ball speed, etc, etc..

Disagree

That's overkill

You'll end up pleasing a handful of hardcore players while pushing many casual gamers away. Some people just don't have a weeks worth of time to adjust sliders for 8 hours a day to finally play their first game.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey
Disagree

That's overkill

You'll end up pleasing a handful of hardcore players while pushing many casual gamers away. Some people just don't have a weeks worth of time to adjust sliders for 8 hours a day to finally play their first game.
Disagree. How is sliders(many of them) going to push the casual gamer away. First, the casual gamer, especially the casual sports gamer, is much easier to please than a hardcore sim player. Second, if the game is tuned halfway decent out of the box, the casual gamer won't even know there is options or sliders to tweak. They are happy with the game out of the box and the sim guy can tweak for weeks or months(have you ever read a slider thread around here) to get the game they way they want. Win/Win.

Now that mouthpiece thing, that's overkill.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #51
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foddzy
Sliders. Sliders. Sliders!

I want tons of sliders for every imaginable aspect of football, break the sliders we have had in the past down into subcomponents and give a slider for each.

For example: Instead of just "QB accuracy" break that down into arm strength, arm speed, pocket accuracy, scrambling accuracy, read speed (for CPU slider), accuracy stamina, clutch play accuracy, short accuracy, bomb accuracy etc, etc...

Geez, I just wanted short, medium and deep ball accuracy overhauled. That's alot.

Do the same for team and coach tendencies.

NBA2K8 has team tendencies and they are awesome and really effect gameplay. I think both team and coach could be merged. If a coach left to another team, just get in that team and change it's tendencies.

Add some "game speed" type sliders for global movement, acceleration, ball speed, etc, etc..

Totally agree, this is one of my first ones.

And especially, make it so the sliders have very noticeable effects; if we set interceptions to zero there should never be an interception. If we set interceptions to 100 there should be crazy insane interceptions all over the place. Scale the sliders so that they allow for the user to get reasonably realistic gameplay in the 40 to 60 range.
You're not alone, I have read this post several times in the Madden threads.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #52
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey
Disagree

That's overkill

You make a good point, but it would be relatively easy to work around. I should have added the designers need to set the game up for easy, accessible, fun play out of the box (yet still realistic) without tweaking, yet still allow for "advanced" features. Possibly the game could default to "standard" mode on boot up with minimal options visible and streamlined menus. Going into "advanced" mode would expose the more detailed workings. Possibly even an "expert" mode with hundreds of sliders and options could be added; yes I'd literally like hundreds of sliders.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #53
Pro

steez3's Arena

OVR: 11

Anything that makes this game more SIM. Like for example after you pick your play in the playcalling screen, another lil box pops up and says "snap ball on...1,2 or 3" so when you get to the line of scrimmage say yo chose 2 you would have to cadence and hit the RB once and then hit A to snap the ball and if you do it right your lineman can get a little jump on the defenders, or say you chose 2 and forgot and didnt fake snap it, your linemen would be slower to get off the ball becuase they were waiting for a cadence and didnt get one, or if u said "on 3" and you hit the RB 3 times then you would get a false start. I think you get what im saying so no need to go through every scenario. Maybe its just from my personal football experiece of being a offensive lineman all through high school and college that makes this sound really cool and add a lil more realism. Compared to alot of the other ideas in this thread I realize this isnt a MAJOR idea but it would be cool
Old 08-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steez3
Anything that makes this game more SIM. Like for example after you pick your play in the playcalling screen, another lil box pops up and says "snap ball on...1,2 or 3" so when you get to the line of scrimmage say yo chose 2 you would have to cadence and hit the RB once and then hit A to snap the ball and if you do it right your lineman can get a little jump on the defenders, or say you chose 2 and forgot and didnt fake snap it, your linemen would be slower to get off the ball becuase they were waiting for a cadence and didnt get one, or if u said "on 3" and you hit the RB 3 times then you would get a false start. I think you get what im saying so no need to go through every scenario. Maybe its just from my personal football experiece of being a offensive lineman all through high school and college that makes this sound really cool and add a lil more realism. Compared to alot of the other ideas in this thread I realize this isnt a MAJOR idea but it would be cool
Every little bit would count. Being an offensive lineman, what would your thoughts be on this idea:

2 playcalling screens similar to 2K where you pick your defensive front AND offensive front FIRST. Then the regular play comes up and you pick from that. For example:

The LDE is killing you all game. The first playcall screen with offensive fronts gives you the ability to: 1) Double LDE; 2) Double RDE; 3) Double LDT; 4) Double RDT(If 3-4 D then #3 or #4 will double the NT). Now you pick #1, and your front is set, and then your play comes up and you pick it.

You line up and see that the LOLB is also probably going to blitz. This can then be taken care of by shifting your line to the left like you currently can do AND the you can keep the TE or FB/RB in to chip or block.

Your thoughts?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Since this is a brainstorm, I'd like to see fatigue sliders. For every gameplay 'event' (tackle, catch, sprint, etc) we have tuning control over how much that fatigues your players. No reason that couldn't be exposed to the users.

Use Head Coach fatigue methods.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 25

hOW BOUT true ADAPTIVE AI...not adaptive difficulty (EA's new adaptive AI gimmick is VERY misleading)

What is in 09 now is just adaptive difficulty or a simple HANDICAP system, nothing revolutionary. I want TRUE adaptive AI that actually learns how YOU play and makes adjustments. Example: if i like to throw deep, the AI will play MORE 3 deep coverage and will play the pass MORE than the run. If i like to run screens and draws, the AI will adapt to just that. If i like to run... 8 men in the box more often than not.

You see, that would be "IT". A game that truly plays in a way to counter your play style. But that will not happen, EA does not have the technology for that and maybe noone will ever do it right.

Look at NHL 09. GREAT game by EA (EA Canada though) which featured ADAPTIVE difficulty. Did it work...NOPE. Did we have sliders to fix it...YUP. So while what Madden is doing now is NO DIFFERENT....in NHL 09 it did not work. Do you see why we are worried about Madden 09? You are using the same system and it did not work to begin with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »