Home

QB vision------without the Cone

This is a discussion on QB vision------without the Cone within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #17
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14
Re: QB vision------without the Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I still don't like these type methods. Progressions for pass plays are not etched in stone(IRL). A QB may be instructed to look at the flanker 1st against man, the split end 1st against zone, ect. Or he may be instructed to look deep against man, short against zone, ect. And sometimes a QB is going to look for his best WR regardless. Playbooks & game plans are too dynamic to hide routes from QBs.

I said this in the other thread, but I think the best method is to also use the cone w/o the cone. My method requires the user to scan the field like we did with the cone, but instead of the flashlight, icons become active when you're looking in that WR's direction.

And instead of the best QBs having a bigger cone, their field of vision is split into 2 so they only have to look left & right. The next tier of QBs would have to look left, middle & right. And the worst will have to scan 4 sections of the field. Or start with the best QBs not having to scan at all, and scale up from there.

The only indicators would be the QB turning his head & the icons becoming active. Effective & discrete. No squiggly lines, flashing lights or beeps.
That's the best I think we can get.I really want Human QB Vision coming back to play. The idea of a 68 AWR QB playing like a Tom Brady constantly just bugs me to no end (unless he made an amazing progression overnight).

Last edited by Joborule; 08-05-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #18
Rookie

Titus001's Arena

OVR: 8

The vision cone was removed? Man i loved it when they first added it.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:12 AM   #19
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Well, since this is the QB Vision thread that got the replies, I'll just move my idea in here

This is perhaps the simplest of solutions, and maybe people wont like it much because it takes a bit of meta-game thinking to make it work, but it's the best solution I can come up with that doesn't negatively affect the sim or casual player.

The vision cone had two distinct affects. First, the effectiveness of the quarterback. With a guy like Brady, you barely had to use it, but for Alex Smith, you need to lock on to the guy you're throwing too. Second, the defense would read the QBs "eyes" and cheat toward his target. When the ball was thrown, they'd break on that receiver. If you threw outside your cone, you'd be throwing, generally, to a fairly open man, but the throw would be bad.

We can't replicate that exactly without a mechanic similar to the vision cone or restricting a player to an undesirable degree. So we need something that's more "under the hood" so to speak.

A very simple solution would be to have the defender's reaction time dependent on the awareness of the QB.

Right now, there is a "baseline" reaction time that I believe is affected slightly by the awareness of the defender. You could make that opposed by the awareness of the quarterback.

Thus, a CB with 99 AWR (or whatever replacement rating is used) against a QB with 60 AWR would break on the ball almost as soon as the QB stepped into his throw, while a CB with a 60 AWR against a QB with a 99 AWR wouldn't react until the ball was released.

This would simulate the QBs ability to "look off" receivers, as the vision cone did, without adding a mechanic that makes it more difficult to play the position.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #20
All Star

OVR: 33

Hmm.

All qbs can see the same amount of field. It just depends how they react to what they see. And since your the QB, it would be nonsensical to treat passing relative to the QB. Passing is dependent on You and You only. And variance through tha and thp.

In the end, we want to see and pass to whoever we want.

maybe just make it rumble more for bad qbs, and rumble less or no rumble for good qbs.

Thats why the awareness stat for the human controlled offense has no meaning. Coz you are the qb.

Anywho. Speaking from a casual gamer point of view (i'm consider myself hardcore though) no matter what the difficulty level, i wanna pass to whoever I want. THe only differential between qb is their physical attributes, the rest is up to you.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #21
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

The cone sucked and I hated it. Adding another button just to operate your eyes was just weird and way too mechanical. I'm glad they ditched that crap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2008, 04:04 AM   #22
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Hmm.

All qbs can see the same amount of field. It just depends how they react to what they see. And since your the QB, it would be nonsensical to treat passing relative to the QB. Passing is dependent on You and You only. And variance through tha and thp.

In the end, we want to see and pass to whoever we want.

maybe just make it rumble more for bad qbs, and rumble less or no rumble for good qbs.

Thats why the awareness stat for the human controlled offense has no meaning. Coz you are the qb.

Anywho. Speaking from a casual gamer point of view (i'm consider myself hardcore though) no matter what the difficulty level, i wanna pass to whoever I want. THe only differential between qb is their physical attributes, the rest is up to you.
This is exactly what many of us wish were different. The issue you're promoting is exactly the issue we dislike.

I, for one, liked the cone, because it made my QB choice meaningful. It wasn't all about a big arm... I needed to develop a quarterback, I had to make choices between good arms and good heads.

The development of a quarterback over the course of franchise mode was actually satisfying.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 AM   #23
All Star

OVR: 33

I guess we differ in opinions then

I like turning Eli Manning into a Peyton Manning when i'm playing with the giants.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #24
Rookie

tweadle's Arena

OVR: 6

The cone was the most innovative and revolutionary feature added to madden since I can remember. At first it was difficult and a pain but for those of us that practiced and learned how to use it it became a positive.
It gave you the ability to look the safety off as the QB and the ability to read a QB's eyes on defense. Both very realistic features.

I feel strongly that its a step backwards in realism.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »