Home

True Next Gen Sliders...

This is a discussion on True Next Gen Sliders... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
True Next Gen Sliders...

I'm going to post what I think a slider list should look like. And also keep in mind that I think these sliders should from 0 to 100 and they should actually work.

For example, how the hell is it even possible that in NCAA if you set your break block to 100, and the cpu pass blocking to 0 you aren't creating ridiculous pressure on the qb every play? you can barely create any pressure, let along get sacks in that game. It's not enough to put sliders in there, but getting them to actually work is just as important.

For example, say I spend 70 odd dollars on madden, if i want to set cpu run blocking to 0, cpu running back ability to 0, user tackling power to 100 and injuries to 100. well almost every play my linebacker or d-lineman should be crushing the cpu running back for negative yards every play an also probably breaking his freaking leg.

Now is this what I really want to do in madden? not at all, but this is the level to which the sliders should work to allow everyone to customize the game for themeselves. if i spend 70 for madden, why should it be up to anyone else how hard or easy i want any one aspect of the game to be?

With me it is extremely important because I use kind of a random variable set of sliders. After I find a good slider set as a base, game in and game out I will randomly alter the sliders (it's the rpg dice geek in me, gotta use the dice randomization!). So having a set of sliders that truly work dramatically alters my gaming experience game in and game out.

True Next Gen Sliders:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: True Next Gen Sliders...

sliders in MADDEN/NCAA have always had a VERY SMALL effect on gameplay. I agree 100% with what you are saying. If i set INTs to 100...EVERY OTHER PASS SHOULD BE PICKED!

there needs to be EXTREME effects from EVERY "click" up or down. QB acc at 0 should mean he cannot hit the side of a bran while at 100 should never miss.

Until i actually PLAY madden 09 i will hold back judgement. But NOT having CPU sliders at all just seems like the dumbest decision madden has made yet!! And believe me i could name 20 other glaring issues that have gone UN-TOUCHED for 8 yrs now! Issues that have carried over from last-gen and still OBVIOUS in next-gen...
EA needs to fire Tiberion and just make a new engine. I mean they have been using the SAME , although updateds, engine since 2001 for godsake! There is where 75% of the issues start...the engine itself!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: True Next Gen Sliders...

All sliders will be for both cpu and user unless otherwise noted.

QB ACCURACY (rather then one slider for this i think there should
be three sub-sliders)

-QB SHORT RANGE ACCURACRY (0 to 10 yards)
-QB MEDIUM RANGE ACCURACY (11 to 20 yards)
-QB LONG RANGE ACCURACY (21 + yards)

(just one global accuracy slider isn't enough in my opinion, if a quarterback can pretty much pinpoint a ball at will on a 7 yard out it doesn't mean he can throw the most accurate deep ball ever, and there should be a way to differentiate)

(this slider should definitely get you over/under throws as well as "lame ducks" escpecially on the deep balls)

-QB THROWING POWER

(now this is a slider that in a normal game would pretty much be left at 50 for a sim player, so that the ratings could actually kick in. for example a player like favre could throw the ball way deeper than a player like pennington due to their ratings alone, however the more customization the better, and also if the guys making the game screw up how good the ratings actually work out of the box (which is usually the case), then we can fine tune it to our likings)

-QB AWARENESS

(this slider is basically for computer only, because your awareness in my opinion should be based on your awareness if you are controlling the quarterback, however, sometimes on offense i like controlling the reciever, so a human awareness slider would still be necessary when we don't control the qb.)

(how i see this slider working is basically the computers ability to find the open reciever. set at 0 the qb will pretty much look at his primary reciever whether he's double covered or wide open on every play, and set on 100, no matter what reciever it is, be it 3rd, 4th, whatever option, whichever one gets open, he's gonna throw that guy the ball. once again, set at 50 brady should pretty much be able to find the open guy every time, and that brand new 6th round backup rookie the cpu has that's forced to play due to injury isn't going to be much of a threat to find the open reciever if its not his first or second option.)

(also, the computers ability to recognize what defense you are in should be tied to this slider and maybe your own. apf 2k8 had that sometimes you could see the defenses play, which i think is a step in the right direction, but not the best way this slider would be used for the user,

but in regards to the cpu brady and manning should pretty much have an idea what is coming at them and know for the most part whether or not they should audible at any given time and to what play. likewise a younger guy with not much "awareness" may actually audible into a terrible play, t.j. rubley anyone?)

- QB POCKET PRESENCE

(again, cpu only for the most part, it should be up to you when to take a sack, get out of the pockt, scramble, throw the ball away, etc. if you are controlling the qb but this would be important for the cpu qb.)

(for the cpu this would be the ability to "sense" ruhers coming and either get rid of the ball or get out of the pocket. think tom brady once again, not the most mobile qb ever, in fact one of the worst in terms of speed, but his pocket presence is fantastic, he is very elusive in the pocket, can basically see in the back of his head when rushers are coming after him.

for guys like vince young this is the gauge for when they should tuck it and run. somebody like young feels the pocket collapsing and tucks it and runs for 25 yards on you. manning feels it collapsing and fires a strike for a td on you. and that poor 6th round rookie once again, doesn't really feel it collapsing, until the DT collapses on top of him. lol

how many times have you played a madden where the cpu controls a mobile qb. he eludes the initial rush and just stands there at the line of scrimmage waiting for someone to get open? yeah, this slider would definitely fix that, young should be burning you for 25 on plays like that, not standing there waiting to throw a pick. lol (which he probably will)

ok that's all i really got for qbs right now i will be back with more later.

i know some of you aren't the biggest sim players ever, or even if you are don't care too much for sliders, but there is no way a game with this level of customization could actually be a bad thing.

i'd like to get some of your guys thoughts (escpecially the guys that need sliders as bad as i do) on these sliders as well as ones you'd like to see, i know some producers come on the site, so lets get a good list going, you never know what could be implemented in future games.

also this is not at all out of the realm of possibility for a next gen game, just go look at the mlb 2k8's slider list. with the right tuning in turns it into an amazing game of baseball.

Last edited by mrsinister11; 08-07-2008 at 12:03 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »