Home

Manually catching the ball. Am I doing it wrong?

This is a discussion on Manually catching the ball. Am I doing it wrong? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Manually catching the ball. Am I doing it wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talib
I can do this as well on Rookie and Pro. Try that online, it's default to All Pro and the CPU will take over and make you do a spin catch before the ball gets close.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #50
Banned

newmoon's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdave39
It seems like most of the complaints are related to Deep passing. Realistically, how many times do you see a jump ball on passes over 30 yards? Hardly ever. Deep passes are mostly caught in stride, and generally the defender is out of position. Madden works just like that.

The majority of jump catching happens on short routes where the ball is slightly overthrown or purposely thrown high, in that case, I have seen a few jump balls.

I love it. I think it is very accurate and it overrules some of the cheesers that just rocket catch every time.

Hint: I have had some luck not using the turbo button when catching the long ball.

Very good point. Infact I don't believe these guys who say, I don't want to jump on every possession, when last year all we saw out of every single player online was rocket catch, user catch. Get real! This years version of Madden is the best ever period point blank. it plays like NFL2K5 to me, you actually have to out coach your opponent as there is nothing on this game that i have encountered yet that is Unstoppable.

The developers on this game are truly on the right path in terms of gameplay, the bells and whistle are another topic for another thread. Keep these Cheesers down, don't bend to the pressure, and patch something that isn't broke. look for the safety to drop, don't just try to lob some bomb to the tallest wide out on your team, with 2 DB's on them that's a bad read, and the ball should get picked off.

The Original Poster stated " I have been in the Lab trying for a week straight" in the Lab is code for a Cheeser trying to Exploit the system, how do you think the Nano Blitz was created, jokers in the Lab trying to break the coding of the game. IE: WR double Pass that Turned into a 15 yd run, User catch Rocket catch, Nano Blitzes, The wishbone offense, where the QB is tackled and damn near on the ground, and somehow without any animation tosses it to the tailback for a huge gainer because the pursuit slows down, when the qb is being tackled, and this years favorite cheese is WR direct snap.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #51
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon
The Original Poster stated " I have been in the Lab trying for a week straight" in the Lab is code for a Cheeser trying to Exploit the system, how do you think the Nano Blitz was created, jokers in the Lab trying to break the coding of the game.
You have no clue what I'm talking about. Your another one of those people with no stick skills that depend on the CPU to make all of his catches. If you think the lab is for cheesers trying to find exploits in the system EA would have removed that the same way they removed the strafe catch.

See my post here to get a better understanding of why user catching should be fixed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #52
Banned

newmoon's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by datruth
You have no clue what I'm talking about. Your another one of those people with no stick skills that depend on the CPU to make all of his catches. If you think the lab is for cheesers trying to find exploits in the system EA would have removed that the same way they removed the strafe catch.

See my post here to get a better understanding of why user catching should be fixed.

Hmmm.... I know what the Developers expect out of the practice fields, you guessed it...Practice. As for your Idea of stick skills, cutting off a route, and pressing Y isn't my idea of having stick skills. It's a cheese move that allowed any wideout to become Michael Irvin. lets not act so brand new, and act like the Rocket catch, control wide out Spec catch wasn't the 90% money play on Madden 08.

I do understand what you're saying on your post, however the potential for cheese to me is the only thing that matters. I would much rather have it the way it is now, where you actually have to think 5 plays ahead to set up a play than to just do the same BS over and over again. That's why so many people are mad this year, all the top ranks who have cheesed there way to the top in years past are having themselves a rude awakening. Once they Patch out that god awful WR direct Snap, these clowns will make there way back to some other game where they can cheat. Giving us Sim Players, Smart Players the Heads up we so richly deserve.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #53
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Anything possible IRL should be possible in the game. WRs go up for it all the time. The answer was to fix the defense, not break manual catch. They may have cut down on cheese online, but they removed half the fun of passing for those that didn't use it for cheese purposes.

I think EA forgot not everyone plays online. They shouldn't have tampered with user catching for offline games.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Anything possible IRL should be possible in the game. WRs go up for it all the time. The answer was to fix the defense, not break manual catch. They may have cut down on cheese online, but they removed half the fun of passing for those that didn't use it for cheese purposes.

I think EA forgot not everyone plays online. They shouldn't have tampered with user catching for offline games.
newmoon and EA for that matter fails to realize that you don't fix something by removing user control that's been in the game for years.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #55
Rookie

Quote:
As for your Idea of stick skills, cutting off a route, and pressing Y isn't my idea of having stick skills. It's a cheese move that allowed any wideout to become Michael Irvin.

That's the KEY.....you don't take Michael Irvin's ability away because James Thrash was coded with the same ability. You code all wideouts with their realistic abilities. That's were the ratings come in, they need to mean something instead of just being a bunch of numbers.

Quote:
I do understand what you're saying on your post, however the potential for cheese to me is the only thing that matters.
Well the only thing that matters to me is a realistic football simulation. And removing WR natural ability is far from it.

Quote:
I would much rather have it the way it is now, where you actually have to think 5 plays ahead to set up a play than to just do the same BS over and over again.
Have you ever considered taking control of the DB and hit stick the hell out of the WR that's consistently out jumping your DB for the ball? We should/can have the best of both worlds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #56
Banned

newmoon's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by datruth

That's the KEY.....you don't take Michael Irvin's ability away because James Thrash was coded with the same ability. You code all wideouts with their realistic abilities. That's were the ratings come in, they need to mean something instead of just being a bunch of numbers.

Well the only thing that matters to me is a realistic football simulation. And removing WR natural ability is far from it.

Have you ever considered taking control of the DB and hit stick the hell out of the WR that's consistently out jumping your DB for the ball? We should/can have the best of both worlds.
  • No EA has asked themselves what is the greater good, what is good for the game? Allow these cheeser bums with no sense of football the ability to win games. Or force these bums to actually throw to say the open man....Hmmm? YOU are correct James Thrash should not look like Michael Irvin, and on this game he doesn't. 2008 Rocket Catch there was no difference between the 2
  • Again your second point again doesn't hold water, they havent taken away a wideouts natural Ability, you actually just have to read the Defense this year, you actually have to have some kind of Football sense.
  • Lets not be crazy, of course I would take control of the DB, I took control of them on this years version, and I took control of the DB's on Last years Version. However the Offensive Player has all the dang advantage with Pass Interference. Have you ever watched a NFL game? when do you see corner backs trying to hit stick wideouts in the air, or do you see them trying to intercept, and pass defense the ball?
Point blank you're telling the world, that you'd rather have a cheese based game instead of this, an actual thinking man games? what's your Gamer tag I want to make sure I never play you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »