Home

EA sees the community fighting back!!!

This is a discussion on EA sees the community fighting back!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Banned

thelwig14's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: EA sees the community fighting back!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I havent bought EA products for years do to there problems. I hope there are more people like me.

That being said I think i may buy Madden for the first time year.
Yes, there is. And I commend you for man'ing up.

Myself and my two brothers, for example, have been longtime EA supporters. And we have not purchased the joke that is NCAA Football 09. We are still undecided on Madden. But the sales for NCAA 09 are pointing in the direction of people being fed up. And it will only get worse.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12

Well for the first time in a long time I'm not buying either. Signed up for Gamefly and Madden is in route!

Worth a rental but I'm not going to have that buyers remorse again. Not sure what happened to the evolution of football but Next Gen killed it.

One eye opening fact was where I read in an interview that there are only 35 people dedicated to Madden. I thought that was extremely low considering the cost they paid for the licenses as well as the short time they have to develop not to mention how much revenue this title makes EA.

Last edited by xylocaine; 08-11-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

I think "all of the above" are factors. A lot of people (self included) are starting to more conscience of their buying decisions. Money has to go farhter than ever. And Madden has gone from a sure thing to a more "wait and see" kinda buying decision. And that doesn't bode well for the Madden/NCAA teams as some big investor money was laid out for the NCAA/NFL exclusive licenses.

The sad thing is that Madden isn't the only horse in the EA stable. In a way, they carry a burden that is unreasonable. There is so much hype, from fans and media. That combined with the investors associating the Tiburon brands so closely with the name EA Sports itself, if Madden/NCAA don't ring the register in historic numbers there is hell to pay. Fifa was actually the largest selling single title last year. NBA Live, though crap on a stick, sells well. Also let's not forget about NHL, which will take over as the best selling hockey title.

In a way I feel for Phil, Ian and all. Heck, I even feel for David Ortiz. To be the big cheese over Madden is a high pressure job. Keep the faithful happy, yet innovate. Reclaim Madden's place at the top of the gaming food-chain. Defend the NFL exclusive deal. It's really a heavy burden. In a way, it'd probably be worlds better to have been at 2k during the run-up to the pinnacle of 2k5. No real pressure, you're the underdog. Anything you do is considered revolutionary. Only marketshare to gain. From Madden. And really lose purse-strings to foster creativity.

I am in no way excusing the mess that Madden next-gen has been. It just bears bringing up how it must be to have the Madden monkey on your back. But, it's a job any sports gaming freak would consider the holy grail. You'd work on, good or not so good, the best-selling sports game of ALL time. A game that will be considered a cornerstone of videogaming history. Cool stuff........

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
Yes, there is. And I commend you for man'ing up.

Myself and my two brothers, for example, have been longtime EA supporters. And we have not purchased the joke that is NCAA Football 09. We are still undecided on Madden. But the sales for NCAA 09 are pointing in the direction of people being fed up. And it will only get worse.
In my situation, I would not have bought Madden 09 if not for NFL HC. Because of that game, I made a choice to buy the CE.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 12

If they'd put an extra year into Madden, it could be the best football game ever...

1 year development cycles are too short for any major improvements.

The BEST videogames have 3 or 4 years put into them.

Madden feels more like a constant work in progress.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #14
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
Luckily I didn't buy NCAA this year,my wife got it for me as an anniversary gift.
While the game does have some decent qualities (running game) It just boggles my mind how so many things "fell" through the cracks.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 08-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
Pro

MikeRo72's Arena

OVR: 6

As the gaming community's average age increases the decisions that drive purchases changes. Older purchasers are smarter consumers thus will not tolerate a sub par title. most poeple are savvy now and they know that if they wait to buy a used copy they can have their cake and eat it too. They can in effect play their beloved Madden game and stick it to the developers at the same time.

I agree with the previous poster who stated that a good game takes way more than 1 year to make. The problem lies with the 1 year development cycle...too short to make any real good changes or additions to a game, and the glut of gamers realize that now...or will soon..

I know this thread will get shut down ASAP but I am glad to read that the contingent of consumers beginning to make their feelings shown are now effecting EA's bottom line
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #16
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
...In a way I feel for Phil, Ian and all...

Come on. What they're doing is not the hard life. Sympathy should not enter into the equation here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »