Home

EA sees the community fighting back!!!

This is a discussion on EA sees the community fighting back!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: EA sees the community fighting back!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustSatellite
I think this has more to do with people being more cautious in today's economy then it has to do with people just not buying the game because they are fed up.

Let me say, so I don't get bashed, that I am not saying the games over the past few years were perfect games...

Then explain COD 4, Halo 3 et al. This downward trend is specific to EA Sports titles.
Unlike the hardcore football fans, casual gamers do not have to buy a mediocre football game.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #18
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
The economy is a laughable reason. It has little impact in this area.

Consumers are becoming more educated about products and are shifting their resources and disposable income in areas to maximize their dollar. And unfortunately, consumers are starting to finally realize that this cannot be had in regards to NCAA and Madden. No one wants to feel cheated, and EA has fat cat'd and rested on their laurels.
I'm not trying to start a war here, and I see what you're saying, but I also think you are helping my point as well. Let me explain the way I see it:

I agree consumers are becoming more educated about products before they buy them. I would never buy a car without a test drive, because I consider that a major purchase. Same way I would never rent an apartment before touring it, or buy a house without walking it over. I think this is a pretty standard way of going about Major Purchases for americans.

With the economy in the state that it's in, people are now more cautious, and educating themselves more about products they buy. Those $60 video games are now falling into the realm of "Major Purchases" for Americans.

I'm not saying that $60 is a Major purchase for most households, but I'm saying they are being treated that way. And the reason they are being looked at as "Major Purchases" is because families are forced to become more frugal due to the falling U.S. economy.

I also think that sports games are geared more toward adults, or those above age 16, that have more responsibilities financially than most kids. Hence, maybe another factor about why summer sports game sales are down.

This is just the way I look at it. I'm not saying the economy is the #1 reason that EA Sports Game sales are slipping. I think it's more than likely a combination of displeased customers and the economy.

In my opinion, it's foolish to say the economy is a "laughable" reason retail sales are down, in any area, not just video games.

But, that's just my opinion.

-AugustSatellite

Twitch Stream

Last edited by ChubbyBanana; 08-11-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 12

What is even funnier is the other day I walked into a Best Buy in Colorodo and NCAA football 08 and March Madness 08 for 360 where selling for 9.99 after only over a year released. But The NCAA 09 is 60.00 That is also a big problem, if your game is bugged sell it for like 40.00 and you may have better sales in the long run ala Nfl 2k5 20.00 price
Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #20
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi

Come on. What they're doing is not the hard life. Sympathy should not enter into the equation here.

I would not want to be in their shoes, no matter how much I would love to work on these games for EA Sports.

You basically have less than 12 months to completely rebuild a game that wasn't satisfying to fans of the series the years before. The reason it wasn't satisfying may be their fault, but I still don't think it's an enviable position.

Twitch Stream
Old 08-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #21
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi

Come on. What they're doing is not the hard life. Sympathy should not enter into the equation here.

Ah, but it ain't as easy as we'd think, either. You ever try debugging or writing code? As much as we'd like to romanticize it or make them seem like kings on a throne throwing crumbs to us the peasants, it's a job just like any else. Ever read about the lawsuit? For unpaid OT? The long hours, etc. I'm not saying that Ian has to bust his back like I do for a living, but each job has it's own drawbacks and stressors. Even wading into the Lion's Den here with "SliderGate" is something I can respect. How would you like the last year of your life's work demeaned and disected?

The irony is, most of us in our internet anonymity don't have to deal with that. Anyone who chooses to let themselves be judged for the good of what they are trying to accomplish for good is cool with me. Call me fanboy, whatever. If I'm a fanboy of anything, it's Ian. I'd have lost my cool a long time ago. Just being real. But Ian keeps coming back for more. I wasn't trying so much to portray sympathy, I was trying to show some respect for the job they have and the job they are doing. Even in facing the pressures of expectation that come with Madden, and having to deliver the goods with no latitude for the "off year." So you can continue to snipe away, I don't care.

To "keep it real" once again: you, me and all of the others on this board are minute in comparison to all the millions who will buy this game. But our opinions are being heard and might have a positive impact on this game moving forward. So I think I'll spend my time working on that. Ya'll have fun being sarcastic and feeling your "righteous indignation."

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey
Good. I'll be a ****** and buy it anyway, just to get frustrated after a week of playing franchise.
You're not alone...I hope not though.

Really to be honest...I'm only buying it for my "sports fix"...not because I'm desperate to play Madden.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:13 AM   #23
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Ah, but it ain't as easy as we'd think, either. You ever try debugging or writing code?

...I wasn't trying so much to portray sympathy, I was trying to show some respect for the job they have and the job they are doing...
True true...

+ RESPECT + to all the developers... Who if given the proper time frame and workforce, would likely put together some brilliant work. As such, they do pretty well considering the circumstances.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #24
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Ah, but it ain't as easy as we'd think, either. You ever try debugging or writing code? As much as we'd like to romanticize it or make them seem like kings on a throne throwing crumbs to us the peasants, it's a job just like any else. Ever read about the lawsuit? For unpaid OT? The long hours, etc. I'm not saying that Ian has to bust his back like I do for a living, but each job has it's own drawbacks and stressors. Even wading into the Lion's Den here with "SliderGate" is something I can respect. How would you like the last year of your life's work demeaned and disected?

The irony is, most of us in our internet anonymity don't have to deal with that. Anyone who chooses to let themselves be judged for the good of what they are trying to accomplish for good is cool with me. Call me fanboy, whatever. If I'm a fanboy of anything, it's Ian. I'd have lost my cool a long time ago. Just being real. But Ian keeps coming back for more. I wasn't trying so much to portray sympathy, I was trying to show some respect for the job they have and the job they are doing. Even in facing the pressures of expectation that come with Madden, and having to deliver the goods with no latitude for the "off year." So you can continue to snipe away, I don't care.

To "keep it real" once again: you, me and all of the others on this board are minute in comparison to all the millions who will buy this game. But our opinions are being heard and might have a positive impact on this game moving forward. So I think I'll spend my time working on that. Ya'll have fun being sarcastic and feeling your "righteous indignation."
Point taken, but I have to disagree: everyone that has a job gets evaluated, dissected, (and frequently demeaned) all the time; and usually, it's to your face by a boss or someone else and with much less chance to "get back to (you) on that"...Personally, I'd much rather field potshots via the internet than go to a quarterly review. Everybody's job involves criticism in one form or another; some do it politely or constructively, and others don't. But that's life in the working world.

Life sucks...get a helmet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »