Home

Don't forget to manually break tackles!

This is a discussion on Don't forget to manually break tackles! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Don't forget to manually break tackles!

Do you guys hold the button? I find that the Square/X button need a hard press or a hold to kick in.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #50
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-en
This thread really is a must read. Seriously, I was struggling like crazy prior to reading this. I wasn't aware of "manually breaking tackles", other than the traditional one click "truck", "stiff arm", etc... Now, continuously pushing this when you get wrapped up, or just prior, gives you a possible boost to bust loose. I'm sure I would have eventually figured this out, but I credit this tread on my new found success in the running game.

Beyond manually breaking tackles...patience is extremely important, timing is everything, and labbing (practice mode) is essential. I suggest that those who are having problems running the ball to go into practice mode, and run all of your running plays, over and over, against different defensive schemes and learn how the blocks play out, how the defenders react to your actions, etc. I did this last night for about an hour, and it me a new depth and understanding on when to use what button (truck, stif arm, spin, juke). Practicing definitely steps your stick skills up.

If you pick random play for the D in practice mode does it keep picking new plays for the D? That would be cool. I need to lab the run game more. I switched from IQ mode to All Pro and I run the ball much better now. But I will practice in IQ mode to get better.

I see you guys are hitting A a lot..I have been pushing the Right stick up a lot more then anything else. I need to try other things. I figured a stiff arm was something you would throw out after you break through the line, but it sounds like you guys are using it before then. I guess I need to find a default thing to do first. I definitley spin off tackles with B, and that is a powerful move when timed correctly.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #51
Strategy

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
If you pick random play for the D in practice mode does it keep picking new plays for the D? That would be cool. I need to lab the run game more. I switched from IQ mode to All Pro and I run the ball much better now. But I will practice in IQ mode to get better.

I see you guys are hitting A a lot..I have been pushing the Right stick up a lot more then anything else. I need to try other things. I figured a stiff arm was something you would throw out after you break through the line, but it sounds like you guys are using it before then. I guess I need to find a default thing to do first. I definitley spin off tackles with B, and that is a powerful move when timed correctly.
-----------
I'm actually not sure on the random play for D. I'm not sure if it picks different plays every time or just once.
I personally chose my own defenses, so that I know exactly what I'm facing - just to see how the play blocks/gaps play out, and defenders react. If you find out before me, let me know (I'm at work).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcize
How do we know if our back qualifies as a power back or an elusive back? Some guys are kind of inbetween or a little of both.

Like Fred Taylor or Adrian Peterson for instance. Both fast, but also strong.
Bump...anyone know an answer to this?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-en
-----------
I'm actually not sure on the random play for D. I'm not sure if it picks different plays every time or just once.
I personally chose my own defenses, so that I know exactly what I'm facing - just to see how the play blocks/gaps play out, and defenders react. If you find out before me, let me know (I'm at work).
It picks a random play every time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »