Home

This game is hard - In a good way

This is a discussion on This game is hard - In a good way within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #9
goh
Banned

OVR: 37
Thumbs down Re: This game is hard - In a good way

I'm feeling nothing but cheesed. Seems every pass under 5 yards is a drop and every pass over 10 is an INT. Then the AI QB never misses.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #10
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: This game is hard - In a good way

I'm getting a little bit tired of the comeback ai that supposedly doesn't exist. I mean, nothing like fumbling on a run on 2nd & 2 at your opponent's 20 with 30 seconds left and a 4 point lead, and having the CPU run it back for a TD. But other than that, yeah it's a much better game this year.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
I'm getting a little bit tired of the comeback ai that supposedly doesn't exist. I mean, nothing like fumbling on a run on 2nd & 2 at your opponent's 20 with 30 seconds left and a 4 point lead, and having the CPU run it back for a TD. But other than that, yeah it's a much better game this year.
I'm absolutely floored by this game, but I know what you mean. In my first game, I used the Rams and played the 49ers. I know the rivalry games are supposed to be tougher than regular games, but I found one thing to be ridiculous. I had a 16-9 lead with about 1:40 left in the 4th, right? The Niners were backed up on their own 5 yard line. Well, Alex Smith tossed a ridiculous 8-yard pass to Vernon Davis, and he took it all the way to the house. The next possession, I threw a pick to Patrick Willis with Marc Bulger (30 seconds left in the game), and looking like the Niners were going to win, I hit-sticked Willis with Bulger, Willis, fumbled, Randy McMichael picked it up, ran down the field and was nailed by Nate Clements. The Niners eventually ended up beating me, but those sequences were insane. Don't know whether to laugh about it or get fed up about it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

One thing to note for dropped passes - if you have a QB that has a rocket arm, you have to really slightly tap the button. If you hold it even a fraction of a sec too long, they throw it too hard and the player drops it more often than not.

As to running, to me the blocking is almost none existent. The OL (even on the Cowboys who have a good OL) cannot block to save their lives. I'm playing with the limited sliders right not to see if it helps. Overall though I'd say it's a good game.

Personally though, I like Head Coach even more I think.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #13
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

I played a nice game against the Rams and it played out like i thought it should. The game is challenging, but not jsut stupid ridiclous challenging. I like having to adjust and think about what sgoing on rather than just slinging it around ala NCAA

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudr
One thing to note for dropped passes - if you have a QB that has a rocket arm, you have to really slightly tap the button. If you hold it even a fraction of a sec too long, they throw it too hard and the player drops it more often than not.

As to running, to me the blocking is almost none existent. The OL (even on the Cowboys who have a good OL) cannot block to save their lives. I'm playing with the limited sliders right not to see if it helps. Overall though I'd say it's a good game.

Personally though, I like Head Coach even more I think.
Ya... I'm not seeing any run blocking either. It's what's got me most frustrated right now. I have trouble getting anything going. I know I'm not used to the new tackle breaking system yet (practiced it a little yesterday), but that still doesn't explain the complete and utter lack of running lanes.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #15
MVP

dubplate's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSpalehoseCWS
The only thing that bothers me is the lack of blocking there seems to be on kick returns/punt returns. I could say the same when running the ball at times, but I have had times where I break away for a big gain. Game is great though IMO.

I'm having a tough time running the ball as well, but have been able to break off a 7 yarder now and again. I've only played one game (Raiders (me) vs Broncos) so I think I just need to get used to reading the holes quicker. This years games is lightning fast, just like the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

Last time I played Madden was 04. Then I went 2k5.

This is the first console football game where I couldn't pick up the Lions and just play ball. I had to deal with the fact that they have a terrible O-Line, okay qb, and very suspect defensive backs.

It feels like the Lions. I've played about 8 games so far and I can hang with similarly skilled teams and get blown out by teams that should blow out the Lions. I've beat the 49ers even though Frank Gore absolutely killed me in short yardage situations.

That is something quite remarkable for Madden or any other console football game and I applaud EA for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »