Home

A defensive "counter" idea to the new running animation...

This is a discussion on A defensive "counter" idea to the new running animation... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Lightbulb A defensive "counter" idea to the new running animation...

I've seen a lot of people with some gripes and issues with the new break tackle system.

I love the new system, I love the effort put into it and into the game as a whole but just wanted to offer a small idea that may or may not be any good.

On defense we can hit-stick high or low, dive or strip. The problem on defense is that it's sometimes hard to line up the tackle in the open field as it is in real life. I see where it can get frustrating for novice/intermediate players who line it up correctly and have the runner basically brush your defender aside and waltz into the end-zone.

Now, open field tackling is do or die in real life, I realize that 110% but this problem is enhanced and multiplied infinitely with the AI's inability to run down a player. All of your would be tacklers are running in a single file line and hindering your faster defenders from running the man down.

My idea is that maybe we have some lateral control on the right thumb stick (RTS) for the defenders. Maybe something where you perform a wrap tackle and can move the RTS laterally to pull the defender down, change his trajectory, or get him off balance. Maybe pulling the RTS in the correct direction in correlation with the runners movements will allow you to grab his ankle, get a hand full of jersey, anything just to hinder him for a split second longer and those are tactics we see in real life.

I think this would add a bit more control to the defensive side of the ball that I feel is a bit lacking. Those controls aren't being used at the moment I believe so nothing would need to be remapped. It would perform realistically in that it would allow you to provide an extra second or two for your teammates to swarm the ball.

A system such as this in addition to better pursuit/angle tacking by the AI would really even things up a bit more.

Please don't take this as a criticism, it's just an idea from a fellow gamer. I love this community, the effort from the developers and the staff that keeps this forum/site alive.

Last edited by chris luva luva; 08-13-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »