Home

Is this the greatest pigskin game of AllTime?

This is a discussion on Is this the greatest pigskin game of AllTime? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 16
Re: Is this the greatest pigskin game of AllTime?

Something really cool is happening with Madden, and I hope you all take this leap of imagination with me - it's becoming more 'alive'.

I don't mean 'alive' in the sense of the game being self aware, though the adapting difficulty adds to that illusion. I mean alive in a sense that with the increases in technology during this generation, the developers are able to incorporate more and more of those little touches that add to the gamer's experience of 'being there'.

The control this year is a part of that. I don't remember being able to do this much with a football player in any game I've played. With that added controllability comes a connection between character and gamer - 'this dude with the ball' has just become a little more real. Instead of having only one or two options limited by buttons, I can now chain a repertoire of football moves together, just like Jim Brown would talk about doing in his pre-game ritual - visualizing every combo of moves it would take to evade a defender in any situation. When I pull it off with the sticks in my hands, it's deeply satisfying.

The other huge piece of that 'alive' puzzle is the leap in graphical fidelity. Each game has looked better, 09 being the best of the lot so far. I could be wrong, but I believe its Mike Young who gets the kudos here. I've played Homecourt and loved its 'look'. Madden has adopted some of that luster and suspension of disbelief is becoming easier to maintain, making the game more fun. The players look more like their real counterparts, the colors in the atmosphere are great, and for Simon and his team - nothing is cooler than seeing facial animations in game. (When they happen)

Is it the greatest pigskin game of all time? Very hard to say. 09 has got far too many missing pieces. (Depth. Remember Franchise storylines?) Different dudes judge it on different criteria AND the gaming landscape is so vast now, it can be debated for years. What I can conclude however is that, though not perfect and honestly if you ask me, not FINISHED yet, Madden 09 is the best Madden I've played on next-gen so far and a great game in its own right...but still not as deep as its Madden predecessors used to be.

-SeventhWard
Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutumbo888
Overall, with gameplay and features, is this the #1 football game? And if not, which game is betteR?
ESPN NFL 2K5 is still better.

It still has more features then Madden 09 has.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

This is the greatest game of all time for one reason. Madden IQ. It works perfect. It keeps my games competitive and realistic. Work and Sleep are the enemy because I have to stop playing. I may have to install a toilet in front of my tv.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6

Madden finally got good this year but is still behind 2k5. The presentation, animations, and realistic game play in 2k5 is just amazing.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #13
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

This Madden is good, but it still not as good as my all time favorite

Madden 2005.

But this year's game is pretty darn close.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
This game is liken to AP2K8 in the sense that AP2K8 was an improved 2K5(gameplay wise) and Madden 09 is an improved Madden 08(Last gen)

I would not call it the greatest of all time, but it is imo the best Madden they have made ever.
respect your opinion, but gameplay wise, not the best madden ever (08 last gen xbox gets that) i think its the best madden next gen so far...
I am glad I got the Buell- I love riding it, I love the oddball looks I get on the road- I love people asking "What IS that thing?" I love flying into a corner WAY too hot, scared spitless and sure I'll never hold it at this speed- and hearing the bike whisper "Sissy!"...
Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Best Football Game? Depends on how you define best game......most enjoyable? maybe, but what about tecmo bowl back in the day, that was damn fun. I am certainly enjoying Madden for the first time since Madden 06 (played 07 for a month and 08 got 3 games of play).

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #16
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

You're probably getting carried away if you think Madden 09 is the best gridiron game to date. I think it's definitely a satisfactory football game, but they still have a little ways to go to catch NFL2K5 in terms of smooth wrap up animations and broadcast presentation.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »