Home

EA Response to Fatigue discussion

This is a discussion on EA Response to Fatigue discussion within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #25
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67
Re: EA Response to Fatigue discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110

Exactly how I feel as well.
Same here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 8

How about instead of tweaking/adapting the game to combat "cheesers" who run too much No Huddle, you do some investigation about what would be considered normal no huddle frequency, and start to penalize the offense (increased fatigue) if you run it too often?

WR's should take massive hits in fatigue if they run tons of fly routes. OLmen should need a rest if they have to run to a new LOS play after play without a breather.

Why don't real NFL teams run no huddle every play? Well there must be some negative factors. Offensive players wouldn't "gell" with each other? The offense would eventually become out of sync? Something prevents it from happening IRL, but that same something obviously doesn't exist in game, since people abuse it to death.

From Sean Bailey's post, it sounds like fatigue isn't handled correctly ever, since apparently the offense was able to run fly route after fly route on the no huddle? When in reality, no WR can run fly routes all day without a break.

Logic should be inplace to sub in a 2nd or 3rd CB on defense, that would be responsible for covering either a very tired starting WR, or a backup WR. This needs to even out. From the sounds of it, EA just patched it up with a bandaid.

This is such a clear message EA sent regarding how little they understand the game.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Hey all - I thought I'd drop a line real quick to comment on the "defensive fatigue" discussion that we've been seeing. I sent a note over to Sean Bailey and he wanted to put together a post for everyone:

-----------------------------------------------
Hi all, Sean Bailey here, Lead Gameplay Designer for Madden NFL 09.
As some of you may have noticed, players on defense do not fatigue as much as they did last year on Madden NFL 08. I wanted to state first and foremost that this is actually the intended result, and was done on purpose. This is not a bug or a glitch. I’m here to give you a little context on why this decision was made…

I’m sure most of you will agree that Madden gamers run the no-huddle offense way more often than teams do in real life. The frequency in which the average NFL offense ran no-huddle last year was significantly less than the frequency in which the average Madden gamer called no huddle – by a long shot. Last year on Madden NFL 08, offenses were actually able to unfairly “punish” defenses via no-huddle, due to the fact that when the no-huddle ended, several the players on the defense were subbed out unrealistically (i.e. backup WRs subbing in for CBs and safeties). Having drastic substitutions on defense due to fatigue from no-huddling was not fair to the gamer playing on defense (since no-huddle is initiated by the gamer on offense), and to add to that we have failed to see a single NFL game film where offensive players subbed in for defensive players due to fatigue. It was not fair nor realistic to ask a WR to cover Randy Moss, simply because the Patriots were no-huddling on offense. With this knowledge and imbalance from last year, we knew some changes had to be made. The main change was to tie fatigue into more strenuous events like performing hit sticks, getting impact blocked, getting run over, covering a WR on a deep route, etc. We felt that this was a much more realistic representation of how an NFL-caliber athlete “gets fatigued” as well.

We looked at it this way: In Madden NFL 08, no-huddling was the best way to fatigue a defense, which is not the case in the NFL. Long drives and pounding the ball behind a good offensive line is the best way to fatigue a defense…and that’s what we’ve implemented for Madden NFL 09. And just to drive the point home, defensive players DO fatigue this year. I even grabbed a screenshot to showcase this:

Attachment 10069

Madden’s Lead Designer Ian Cummings has done a great job of staying in touch with you guys and when he told me that the community was concerned over fatigue on defense, I felt obligated to give you an explanation as to why and how fatigue changed in this year’s game. At the same time, I don’t want to give off the impression that I am completely 100% happy with fatigue. There is always room for improvement in a sports simulation video game like Madden. I really appreciate all of your feedback…we definitely listen to and read all of your suggestions, concerns, and comments. Keep it coming!
In the mean time, if any of you want to play Madden or NCAA against me online, shoot a friend request to “Vernon Maxwell.”

- Sean Bailey, Lead Gameplay Designer
--------------------------------------------------

As an aside, please don't post about any issues other than fatigue in this thread. Again just know we are all over these forums and are hearing (err, reading) everything that has been brought up...

Thanks,
Ian
Ok, then can you explain why I can run Marion Barber 10-12 times in a row and he will turn yellow for a play and back to green after I run him while he is in the yellow? Was this done to keep OL from subbing in at RB? Just kidding Reality is this part of the game is flawed but what I mentioned above is true. My suggestion to you Ian and the rest of the fellows which I'm sure you have heard before. Test the game through and through before release. Especially parts of the game that have been problems in previous years. Not to be negative but coming on here after you have my money does not fix the problem for me at least. Tell me about all the BS problems before you take my money. Let me say again. Tell me upfront about subs not working properly, fatigue that you guys purposely change, YEAH RIGHT!!!. And lot of people would probably be a lot happier about there purchase if they were aware of the same issues that plagued this game in years past that are still present even after being told issues have been fixed or addressed. Save the "A PATCH IS ON THE WAY" crap. Peace!!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #28
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceBrown
How about instead of tweaking/adapting the game to combat "cheesers" who run too much No Huddle, you do some investigation about what would be considered normal no huddle frequency, and start to penalize the offense (increased fatigue) if you run it too often?

WR's should take massive hits in fatigue if they run tons of fly routes. OLmen should need a rest if they have to run to a new LOS play after play without a breather.
Brilliant. I didn't think about that, but you're exactly right. It's not the defense's stamina that needed tweaking, it was the offense's.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #29
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

if i remember correctly, didnt last gen have it so that if you run the no huddle online without good reason you get the false start penalty like 99% of the time??
Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 8

Actual conversation that took place at EA Tiburon...

Quote:
Ian- "Right now the offense can abuse the no huddle unrealistically, how can we fix this?

Sean Bailey- "Hmmmm....it appears the defense gets tired when the offense runs no huddle all game long"

Ian- "What is your proposed solution?"

Sean Bailey- "I think we should make the defense not get fatigued anymore"

All EA Tiburon employees- "Brilliant idea!"

Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #31
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

I can understand how and why you implemented fatigue the way you did, but for those of us who play a "straight" game, this hurts us. I dont run no huddle unless it is necessary, and the CPU RARELY runs no huddle. I'd like to see this revised for next year, but its better than no fatigue.

Bottom line is, you guys made a call, and its not going to make everyone happy, but, no matter how you implemented it, you'd piss someone off.........thanks for the heads up!

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
if i remember correctly, didnt last gen have it so that if you run the no huddle online without good reason you get the false start penalty like 99% of the time??
Yep...it was called "Fair Play" and I miss it dearly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »