Home

Solution to running....

This is a discussion on Solution to running.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #73
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Solution to running....

Ive had some success with NOT sprinting until i see the hole open, using slide protection and actually following my blockers. Getting 3-4 yards on first down isnt a bad thing. Run behind your strongest run blockers, run away from their best defenders.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 7

The running game isn't all that bad to me, i play with the Jets and average around 85 yards a game on All-Madden...The Jets O-line and backs aren't that great so id say that's pretty realistic...I constantly pound the ball up the middle (about 20 run plays a game) and get a good 4.5 yards a run...I mix it up with Jones and Richardson depending on the yardage situation...My only complaint with the running game is 95% of the time trying to run the ball to the outside is a loss of yards...I don't know if im doing something wrong or the game is not tuned properly but i didn't have a problem running to the outside with this years NCAA...I find myself constantly having to break 3 tackles to get a yard on an outside run...

Last edited by Bamtino; 08-21-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 3

I've been in a funk for over a year with my running game. I personally think it has at least a little to do with some game mechanics this gen. I'm not saying I can't run AT ALL. But 80+ yard rushing games are not too frequent. I play All Madden versus AI and always use the skins/Portis. In previous gen Maddens I've always been an outstanding rusher on and offline(been playing since the beginning). I keep plugging at it though, and at least it's forced me to be a better passer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #76
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

I have tried everything(I never really come to these threads to discuss it) from not sprinting at all until I have green, to just going as hard as a I can to maybe just out run defenders, to abusing the hit stick, to lead blocking, or just adding more blockers to the side I'm running. And NOTHING works.

But I'm now convinced that blocking is the main problem with the running game. Any play that has either guard pulling, results in a DL or LB breaking right through and straight to my ball carrier before he even get a chance. OR I'll just watch guys pick the wrong person on D, the OL will just turn back around for a block instead of staying out in front of me.

Now, another beef of mine, is basically WR's cant block. Maybe its just the Green Bay WR core, but Greg, DD, JJ always seem to fall as soon as they try to block someone. Leaving me to try to beat that defender. Now most WR's in real life CANT block forever. But they can atleast get in front of a defender and do something.

Anyway, I'm done ranting, I dont know if what I just typed made any sense. But I'm tired of the run blocking of today...If its not a pancake, its a useless block.

ALSO: I forgot to add, what is with the D knowing what play I'm going to run?! I'll come out in a 4 wide set running a HB draw on second and about 6, and they will come in with a 4-3... all Lb's creeping towards the LOS? Like ok, audible, Go deep, and in a snap they are able to adjust and those two OLBs can cover my slot guys deep?!

Last edited by Tengo Juego; 08-21-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 6

i always get a 100+ yards a game if i have around 15-25 attempts, run iso and stretch plays, switch em up. run to your the strongest side, where you got more blockers. hit the whole quick, holding the sprint down or not doenst make a difference, thats in your mind. all madden
Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #78
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
It's a pretty basic play. On 3rd and short, you wouldn't run a dive? It's a high risk, low reward play. Yes on Madden it is easy to execute,which sucks, but it is still an offensive staple.
The fullback dive is not a staple of anyone's offense in the NFL. Most fullbacks get a carry or so per game, if that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
I just do not think it is cheese to run alternate formations. Anyway, I don't keep running the same play over and over, I mix it up. But I do like to set up certain formations with base plays.
But if it's a money play, how is it not cheese? Didn't you just say you keep FG block as an audible to stop others from running FB dive? How is it not cheese if it takes an 11 man rush to stop?

I hope sometime in the near future Madden gets to the point where football strategy trumps video game strategy.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #79
Rookie

Titus001's Arena

OVR: 8

Running game is just flawed this year. Every year I played on all madden with a bit of challenge. All though I would make the playoffs and most of the time win superbowl. I could in most games last year run the ball for good carries. This year on all madden I can win just about every game like last year. I just have to pass the ball on 8 min quarters 30-40 times a game because running the ball is difficult and not realistic. It is not fun for me to pass soooo many times a game. I like to run the ball. Blockers always either half *** blocks or just plain run by people. I always was a good runner on all madden all the way back to the eddie george days. I do follow blocks and call different plays. It seems the only way I get good yards on all madden running the ball is if I cheat the computer. Call 4 receiver set then audible to a running play.It seems you have to have a hb with 93+ speed to do anything this year. Not realistic, broken. Last gen>this gen by far. Now I play the first 3 quarters on all pro and in the 4th I bump it to all madden.

I do use the browns btw.

I blame online play. This is probably the reason why they made the running game harder because of online play from last year. People thought it was too easy to run the ball while online last year so they made it harder for this year. Lame.

Last edited by Titus001; 08-21-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #80
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
The fullback dive is not a staple of anyone's offense in the NFL. Most fullbacks get a carry or so per game, if that.

But if it's a money play, how is it not cheese? Didn't you just say you keep FG block as an audible to stop others from running FB dive? How is it not cheese if it takes an 11 man rush to stop?

I hope sometime in the near future Madden gets to the point where football strategy trumps video game strategy.
It's not cheese to run the FB dive now and then. And I am sorry, but to say that a 31 dive is not a staple of football makes me wonder if you have ever played the game at all. The Sneak, the Dive....those are short yardage go to plays and have been for over 30 years.

I can't help that Madden has the worst Oline/Dline interaction still to this day. I can not control that. I still would like to enjoy the game and try and stop people from going to to the same plays all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
go figure
Is this an attempt at an insult? How do you stop an online guy in short yard situations in 09 currently? I figured out options for doing it instead of complaining. Yes, it is not perfect, but it helps stop cheesers from going for it every 4th and short. Trust me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »