Home

Solution to running....

This is a discussion on Solution to running.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #33
Pro

adub88's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Solution to running....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
Maybe I should take into consideration that I am playing some of the top defensive teams in the league controlled by decent players (online). I don't expect to have 100 yard games every time, but some games have been in the teens. I think things may start to open up as I continue to improve in the passing game.

All that said, I really don't think the AI/Animations is sophisticated enough to handle what they were trying to accomplish. I also think gang tackling needs to be tuned for more wrapping (that way you can attempt to break before 2nd contact).

As I said before, I am really liking the game. Just haven't had much success with Addai yet. I have tried many things that have been mentioned on here (sprint/no sprint, waiting for holes, ....) and have still struggled. I wonder if diving for a few extra yards on draws would help, possibly.

How many passing plays vs. running plays are you running? Use that explosive passing attack of the Colts to open up your running game.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #34
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

I pass quite a bit, but being a sim player, I attempt to mix in the run for realism and to throw my opponent off. On one series I usually run once or twice and throw the rest. Maybe I should throw on 1st and 2nd down and run on 3rd and short...

Speaking of that potent passing attack, Adub do you have any tips for that? Lead bullets left and right seem to work well on corner routes and whatnot, but I haven't had much luck with corner lobs or streak lobs, any tips?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
the problem I have with people's advise for the run game is that Im not sure there really is a solution. Ive heard you have to wait for the "hole to develop" but is the OLINE and DLINE AI really good enough for there to be a "hole". I dont think it is, from what I have seen there is no "QB Pocket" or straight up "running lanes". I know the LB's know when I am running the ball and get into the backfield untouched 90% of the time. I know I cant get through the line that easily even on an all out blitz so there is a difference between how the AI Defense reacts with the humans Oline and how the human Defense interacts with the AI's Online which leads me to beleive that that game was programmed to be different. This leads me to beleive there is an intended purpose here to make the run game challenging. the bottom line is that on lower difficulty you can break more tackles and run the ball better, on harder difficulties your either going to run for a gain, or you will be shut down behind the line. regardless if there are "holes" or you are sprinting or jogging, I dont feel like your decision to do either will impact how you run. Its hit or miss on how the AI handles you.

I think people are talking themselves into results with all of the sprint/dont sprint, hit the holes malarky. Take it down to the lowest levels and you can understand that your Oline isnt creating holes for you,etc. The AI defense is responsible for every yard you gain or dont gain.
Good point, very good point!

The user offensive line is just so weak, the animations for them are weak, too. It happens so often that a D-Line player or LB runs easily past your OLine player who is supposed to block, and your OLine player just keeps running forward, not knowing why he is on the field, you could even use him as a receiver...
I watched it thousend times on replay and it's just annoying, pass or run offense, doesn't matter, your OLine is just not knowing what they are doing.
The new run animations are top notch, but not very useful because of the big failing of creating a realistic OLine/DLine game, that's really disappointing.

But i think that won't be fixed this year, so hope for next years Madden...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
I get that. But this is the problem. What if the FB dive is in your gameplan? What if you like to run it to set up other plays in that formation? What if you are running it and it is not being stopped? Are you going to stop doing it? It's a pretty basic play. On 3rd and short, you wouldn't run a dive? It's a high risk, low reward play. Yes on Madden it is easy to execute,which sucks, but it is still an offensive staple.

I just do not think it is cheese to run alternate formations. Anyway, I don't keep running the same play over and over, I mix it up. But I do like to set up certain formations with base plays.
have you ever seen a FB dive stopped on 4th an 1? how about a QB sneak?

fact is these plays work at a 99.9999999% success rate and that is even when you stack the line pinch in and do basically a FG block

face it those plays are cheese, who cares if it is part of your gameplan, it is still a cheap play that always works because EA can't create a way to EVER stop it. sucks that you'll be labeled as cheese if you constantly use it, but thats the way the game is

I just don't think you understand the concept of what we are trying to convey
Old 08-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #37
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

Anyone having trouble getting long runs? The longest run I've had I believe is 17 yards.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #38
MVP

erickonasis's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
Anyone having trouble getting long runs? The longest run I've had I believe is 17 yards.
yea i'm having trouble...broke one for 23 with barber thats about it and that was rare
Old 08-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #39
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

I am finally breaking through with the running somewhat. Still laying off of the turbo and setting up the run with the pass. Another tip: try those delay runs where you get a handoff pause then run up between the LG and LT. I hadn't used these previously as speed was of the utmost priority in the old running game, now, I am having some results.

All that said, I think there are still issues that must be patched as the wwe shoulder gang tackle and the DE's in the back field must be fixed....

HEY, I just FINALLY found the cause the running issue, I remember something Ian said about improving the outside DE rush. Well, they did that forming a slight pocket and having a slightly faster outside rush... Well here's the problem, when you do your toss or sweep, the DE's are in their speed rush and biggty bam.... Your down Maybe there's a solution, only do your toss on teams without an outside speed rushing DE (weapon) and hopfully a runblocking weapon LT....

Hmm..... (turns on Madden 09)
Old 08-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #40
Rookie

Daffy6964's Arena

OVR: 1

Strangely, my rushing avg improved after I started focusing on the feet of my blockers and following the open gap they make.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »