Home

How to run the ball better for those having a hard time

This is a discussion on How to run the ball better for those having a hard time within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: How to run the ball better for those having a hard time

Quote:
Originally Posted by babythug23
How do you break tackles. Do you just starting mashing all kind of buttons when the tackler has you? Or you do it before he tackles you
It is all dependent on who you run with, with fast, elusive backs you're better off avoiding contact altogether with jukes and spins, then trying to slip out of tackles when they do get a hold of you.

With power backs you're better off powering right up the gut and punishing anyone in your path, power backs aren't going to avoid many tackles juking and spinning, they are better off trucking and stiff-arming defenders.

I've found that unless your back is exceptionally fast(94-95+ speed & acceleration) you're better off not sprinting too much, watching your blocks develop and looking for daylight, then making the moves to get to that daylight.

The best thing to do is to go into practice mode and run random offense vs. random defense, this way you will also learn your playbook and won't be so dependant on just a few "money" plays. You have to develop the proper reactions to evading and escaping tackles, because if you're still thinking should I juke, spin, truck, or stiff-arm, it's probably to late.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Thanks for the info, but you probably should've posted this in the other " having a hard time running" thread.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
Rookie

It can be inconsistent. I'm holding steady around 600 IQ in my Carolina Franchise and so far Deangelo Williams is averaging 3.0 ypc on 110 carries and Stewart is about 6 ypc on 50 carries. After being consistently held to around 50 yards rushing my first three games I started trying different formations in the first half and now tend to lean more on the run in the second half. That's where the majority of my bigger gains havecome from. I like the new running though, it rewards thinking on the fly. The passing however is still pretty weak imo.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teampunjabi
What kind of moves do you guys do right as the ball is handed off. I mean lets say your a power runner. Do you truck stick BEFORE your about to get hit and also after you get wrapped up to maybe get out of that tackle? What about a speed back?
With a power back it's all about trucking and stiff-arms, if the defender is right in front of you, run him over, the most effective point to truck is immediately before contact, to knock the defender off-balance which makes it harder for him to tackle you. But if the defender is at an angle the stiff-arm is the way to go.

I mainly play with Addai who is an elusive back, reasonably fast but not a burner. I think this is probably the most challenging type of runner. I use a lot of jukes, and some spins, the spins are more useful against individual defenders in the open field, the jukes are better at evading multiple defenders.

It's important to watch your blocks, not just if the defender is engaged, but which way the blocker is pushing him. Pre-snap and immediatly after the snap read the linebackers, they are going to try and fill the gaps you're looking to run through and you need to know where they are headed and if possible go where they aren't. If you can't do that then find a gap you want to run through, and run towards the ajacent gap, the idea here is to get the linebacker to commit to one gap, then at the last second juke to the other gap hopefully avoiding the linebacker. Never give up after initial contact, try to break the tackle, or at least fight for a few more yards.

One huge thing that has helped me is to not focus to much on what is immediately in front of you, look for where their is space in the second and third levels of the defense, then focus on how to get through the first level to get there. This is really the key to getting 8+ yard runs, knowing where you want to go downfield and finding a way to get there.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Solution to put up good numbers in the running game

there are already a couple of threads regarding tips to the running game. We don't need another.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-run-game.html

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »