Home

Why do you like this game?

This is a discussion on Why do you like this game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
Why do you like this game?

I don’t want this to become a “gripes and groans” thread, but I picked up Madden last night, and I think that I may be regretting it. Hopefully I’ll have a fresh perspective here as I haven’t played a Madden game in about 4 years, but I may have spoiled by NHL 09, and even NFL 2K5.

I’d hate to have this thread get locked, so I’d like to hear from the community why they like Madden 09. As far as why I might be regretting my purchase:

The commentary is terrible. Again, I may have been spoiled by other sports games (namely MLB 08: The Show), but the play-by-play in Madden seems terribly cut together, and doesn’t flow at all. And why is John Madden doing the intro? Does he work in the studio or something?

The animation is choppy. Games like The Show and NHL flow beautifully during cutscenes. Madden is not up to par.

The mini games are boring. Why do I want to help some dude do bench presses?

And, the much-hyped “presentation” is lackluster to say the least. The exterior stadium shots look great, but each stadium is at the same angle, and we see the same cars drive by each time. That’s just lazy. And where’s the half-time show? And why are there only two camera angles?

I hate to compare Madden to a 4 year old game, but NFL 2K5 trumps Madden 09 in every way. I just don’t find Madden fun. I can’t tell if it’s trying to take itself to seriously or what it is.

To me, it’s like this: NFL 2K5 is a football experience that just happens to be a videogame. Madden 09 is a football videogame. I’m just not immersed.

So, before I trade Madden in, I ask the community: why do you like Madden 09? The more reasons the better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 16
Re: Why do you like this game?

NFL License
New rosters

other than that...it isn't that great. It is a football game and that is what I love to play this time of year, it is just another disapointing year to be a football gamer.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

Been playing 2k and Fever since 2000 while never really feeling Madden since the 90's.

Bought Madden 06 at 360 launch, sold that crap in 2 days. bought 07, sold it in 4 days. bought 08... was interesting but sold it to play AP2k8 due to the over the top play in Madden.

09 finally feels like a NEARLY complete product. the lighting and weather gives you a more surreal feel when playing. The animation and interaction is VERY good. There are a lot of interactions there. the tackling and break tackle engine is sweet. the passing game is nice. It's fun to play defense (yea!). I feel like I am in control of the game (I switch to the closest player constantly and control the man). My-skill seems like it works pretty well after some games and provides a good challenge.

It just feels more like Sunday football than any game previously.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 14

While I really did like NFL 2k5, I have to say that honestly, it doesn't feel as good to me now as it did when I first had it. For me, Madden 09 really isn't disappointing. The presentation isn't as good as 2k5's might have been, true, but I would still argue that it is actually good. And there were a few issues that I had with 2k5 which Madden doesn't have, mostly within Franchise. For all of its glitz and as good as the game was, 2k5 is still a football videogame, and it had its flaws as well.

All of the points you addressed also had nothing to do with the gameplay. That, I believe, is honestly what should make the difference. All of the presentation and crap like that is great, but if you don't like the way the game plays, either one, the rest of that shouldn't matter. I actually do like both versions of the gameplay, I realize Madden is more arcade-ish then sim, but I like it, which is why I'm going to stay with Madden 09. I think it's a good game.

The real point is whether you like this game or not. Since it seems like you clearly don't, and would rather play a 4 year old game, you may as well go ahead and just play 2k5. If you already don't like the game and are asking other people to give you a reason to keep it, then ya might as well just stick to 2k5.
Go STL Rams...please don't get Sam Bradford killed...
Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

*SIGH*

ANOTHER one of these threads? Really?

Want to know why people like it? Browse the impressions thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »