Home

Does robo QB ruin the single-player experience for you?

This is a discussion on Does robo QB ruin the single-player experience for you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Does robo QB ruin the single-player experience for you?
yes 180 55.56%
no 144 44.44%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2008, 01:13 AM   #33
Pro

utorde's Arena

OVR: 12
Thumbs up Re: Does robo QB ruin the single-player experience for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardofspock
Its not there if you mess with the sliders, plain and simple. If you choose not to do this, thats your problem.

Exactly, and if they patch anything that means everyone who has adjusted their sliders are gonna have to start all over again.

Play about 5 games on My Skill, switch to Custom and input the 4 numbers from My Skill, play a couple more games to fine tune the sub-set of sliders within the 4 areas. My games play perfectly now. Great stats, great gameplay, this is the best experience i've ever gotten from Madden. About the only problem i'm having is where the Madden Moments count in your trophy room. Fixed that problem though; deleted everything, started over, don't play Madden Moments.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:26 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Does robo QB ruin the single-player experience for you?

Too be honest, regardless if it's tweaked via a patch, the "Robo-QB" element will never go away unless they overhaul the actual throwing engine.

As it stands, both player and CPU quarterbacking is very unnatural. Almost too cerebral. For example, how the hell is any quarterback capable of scrambling 5 years backwards, throwing off their back-foot, and completing an on-target, full speed, 30+ yard pass. It's almost laughable at times when I watch some of the CPU's (and my own) throws through replay.

Using 2K5 as an example (simply because it was the last sim-football game not named Madden), when you threw a pass, whether it was the short, medium, or deep ball - very rarely did it ever feel scripted (even though it was). Especially with the use of maximum passing. Where as in Madden 09, even when attempting to guide a receiver, almost every single toss feels pre-determined due to the terrible mechanics/physics. There's no (if any) real sense of freedom or individualism. Every slant feels the same, every out feels the same, etc.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:51 AM   #35
Rookie

larma's Arena

OVR: 9

I've yet to see the robo qb in action. I'm playing on sliders based on Heelfan's set so maybe that helps. I'm not saying it's not there but I don't see it.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2008, 04:04 AM   #36
Rookie

Robo QB is there and its not new to this years Madden. Its been there on Maddens in the past. But the games only been out a week. Peoples main gripes about the gameplay seem to be this and the running game. If it were already easy now imagine when everyone gets adjusted to it and starts knowing how to exploit cpu weaknesses, then a lot of the same people Im sure would complain that the CPU is too stupid and easy to beat. The CPU will never be able to gameplan the way a human player can, so they get bonus's in other area's of the game to keep it interesting. I see no problem with this at all.

One guy said McNabb only had 2 incomplete passes against them but they only scored 10 points on you? Thats pretty incredible. I wouldnt be complaining about how effective the CPU offense was if they only managed 10 points on me..I would be critiquing my own offense skills for only putting up 3 on them. (Im not saying you're a bad player or anything like that, Im saying that you're placing blame on the CPU offense when they only scored 10 points, that doesnt make sense to me.)
Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 AM   #37
Bat
what

Bat's Arena

OVR: 22

Robo QB is definitely there and definitely sucks. That said, my games are usually low scoring and I do win most because the computer is very prone to red zone turnovers.

Its like a catch 22, if they made the computer less successful passing they wouldn't score any points at all. Then again if they made the computers running game good then it could be a different story.

Bottom line the AI is way too pass happy and too successful at completing passes but also turnovers that keep the human controlled team in the game.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:54 AM   #38
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVinatieri4xsbchamp
Robo QB is there and its not new to this years Madden. Its been there on Maddens in the past. But the games only been out a week. Peoples main gripes about the gameplay seem to be this and the running game. If it were already easy now imagine when everyone gets adjusted to it and starts knowing how to exploit cpu weaknesses, then a lot of the same people Im sure would complain that the CPU is too stupid and easy to beat. The CPU will never be able to gameplan the way a human player can, so they get bonus's in other area's of the game to keep it interesting. I see no problem with this at all.

One guy said McNabb only had 2 incomplete passes against them but they only scored 10 points on you? Thats pretty incredible. I wouldnt be complaining about how effective the CPU offense was if they only managed 10 points on me..I would be critiquing my own offense skills for only putting up 3 on them. (Im not saying you're a bad player or anything like that, Im saying that you're placing blame on the CPU offense when they only scored 10 points, that doesnt make sense to me.)
I doubt they would be the same people complaining if it were too easy, you need to stop making stupid assumptions like that. Yes, there are people that will never be happy w/the product but, the gripes people are having are legitimate issues.

Maybe McNabb could be a bad example for whoever used that, cause it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility for McNabb to pull off an effort such as that. But, what about the Brodie Croyle's of the world or QB's like that who have proven nothing in the league as of yet, who continually light people up, game after game. Maybe 1 game, he'll go out of his mind & have a career day but that's still pretty improbable. Especially against top defenses, they continually make the correct reads, play after play. If anything it's not about placing blame on the CPU for scoring low, it's for the unstoppable QB at times & unrealistic passing %'s they put up. Your reasoning doesn't make sense if anything...
Old 08-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #39
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqeg
I doubt they would be the same people complaining if it were too easy, you need to stop making stupid assumptions like that. Yes, there are people that will never be happy w/the product but, the gripes people are having are legitimate issues.

Maybe McNabb could be a bad example for whoever used that, cause it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility for McNabb to pull off an effort such as that. But, what about the Brodie Croyle's of the world or QB's like that who have proven nothing in the league as of yet, who continually light people up, game after game. Maybe 1 game, he'll go out of his mind & have a career day but that's still pretty improbable. Especially against top defenses, they continually make the correct reads, play after play. If anything it's not about placing blame on the CPU for scoring low, it's for the unstoppable QB at times & unrealistic passing %'s they put up. Your reasoning doesn't make sense if anything...
You seem to have a major attitude problem son..yankee's suck much? lol

Uhhh you making the assumption that most people wouldnt be complaining is the same as me making the assumption that they would be complaining. It doesnt make it any more right just because its your opinion on it, if anything is stupid its that kind of attitude of yours. But terrible logic either way.

Nobody is saying robo QB isnt there (including myself since I did indicate that I think it is there I just dont have a problem with it.) This seems to upset you, and I dont really care if it does.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:12 AM   #40
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVinatieri4xsbchamp
You seem to have a major attitude problem son..yankee's suck much? lol

Uhhh you making the assumption that most people wouldnt be complaining is the same as me making the assumption that they would be complaining. It doesnt make it any more right just because its your opinion on it, if anything is stupid its that kind of attitude of yours. But terrible logic either way.

Nobody is saying robo QB isnt there (including myself since I did indicate that I think it is there I just dont have a problem with it.) This seems to upset you, and I dont really care if it does.
Only an attitude problem w/people like you who can't read & comprehend at all. Where in my post did I say that most people wouldn't be complaining? All I said was that I don't think it would be the same people complaining both ways(as the posts I refer to & pay attention to, seem to be vets here at OS), go back to grammar school son.

I also didn't point out that you or anyone else here for that matter think that robo QB is or isn't there, just your logic w/that one person's gripe was lacking because it looked to be more toward the example of the ridiculous %'s QBs are throwing up. I don't really care if you have a problem with robo QB or not, I don't care if anyone does. It's just an issue I'm commenting on, I never said which side is right or wrong. The only side thats "right" is your own personal view of the game, who gives a crap what others think. Get a grip son welcome to reality.

Last edited by sqeg; 08-20-2008 at 05:16 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »