Home

Suggestion for 2010, call offensive play by selecting personnel package first

This is a discussion on Suggestion for 2010, call offensive play by selecting personnel package first within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #25
Rookie

teampunjabi's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Suggestion for 2010, call offensive play by selecting personnel package first

Just a suggestion for next year, maybe you guys could implement half tackles and half sacks. I dont know how many times I tackle the guy only to not get credit for anything. I think it is very necessary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #26
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Suggestion for 2010, call offensive play by selecting personnel package first

For online I think there should be two settings:

Open Ranked - Anything goes. Basically what we have today.

Sim Ranked - Fair play, realistic personnel subs, and other realism oriented features that the masses may not understand or appreciate.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #27
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Great idea, however I think simply giving the defense more time (15 seconds) to respond to the formations would be a good idea.

I think one benefit of video game football vs real football is not having to go through some of the small tedious things. Skipping things like players running from the sidelines to the huddle greatly speed along the game.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #28
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Great idea, however I think simply giving the defense more time (15 seconds) to respond to the formations would be a good idea.

I think one benefit of video game football vs real football is not having to go through some of the small tedious things. Skipping things like players running from the sidelines to the huddle greatly speed along the game.
You already get 15 seconds to respond to formations in the current game. Madden '09, heard of it.. lol The difference here is that 15 seconds occurs in real game time instead of AFTER the offense has chosen a play.

Also, this doesn't involve anything tedious. While players are subbing you'll be too busy choosing a play to notice. It will be rare when you actually choose your play more quickly than the players can sub. If you do happen to call plays quickly then this would be a great presentation area for EA. They would have a few extra seconds to show off their graphic engine before the players break the huddle.

Last edited by Sigma4Life; 08-21-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 15

Is it just me or do some people here not know the difference between a formation and a personel package?

I wasn't too far in to the OP when Madden '93 popped into my head. Some of you guys are acting like he discovered fire.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #30
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Interesting. The Madden 93 approach. From what I know, this was removed due to consumer feedback (obviously not everyone wants to wait so long), so I would think this would have to be an "option" - not the default style - if implemented.

To poke some holes (since that's what I do)...

1. What if the user goes into a formation and changes his mind? You said they have to wait for the players to run on and off, but this would mean that they really only have 2-3 shots at getting the right formation until they're stuck with the last one. Say I'm looking for a HB screen. I go into I-Form Tight, it's not there. 7 seconds later, I try Shotgun 4 WR...not there. I try Ace Big...not there. Uh oh, delay of game.

2. How does this work with Ask Madden? Ask Madden has multiple plays with different formations.

3. How does this work when calling plays by Play Type or by Key Player? Again these have multiple plays and formations.

4. If this is an option, how does it work online? Do all people that want to play ranked games have to play like this? Is it unranked only? Can I have "realistic play calling" enabled and my opponent does not?
To answer all of your questions with one response (the best kind).

What if you show the formation the offense is choosing as they are selected on it. Then when they finish, it locks in the time count (and says, locked, or something)

That way, the defense can scroll to a particular formation and pick a defense in wait while the offense decides.

So this is how it works in each scenario.

Ask Madden - No formation listing until play is selected.
By Player - No formation listed until play is selected.

Select a formation - formation displayed but not locked.

Until the player selects the play, it doesn't lock, but allows the defense to view plays in that section waiting.

This gives a little bit of extra time for the defense to select a play, without changing the time frame, or anything else happening at all.

The only negative to this approach is the slight change in focusing on if the personnel is locked.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #31
Pro

I meant package, not formation. You know what I mean.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #32
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by notque
To answer all of your questions with one response (the best kind).

What if you show the formation the offense is choosing as they are selected on it. Then when they finish, it locks in the time count (and says, locked, or something)

That way, the defense can scroll to a particular formation and pick a defense in wait while the offense decides.

So this is how it works in each scenario.

Ask Madden - No formation listing until play is selected.
By Player - No formation listed until play is selected.

Select a formation - formation displayed but not locked.

Until the player selects the play, it doesn't lock, but allows the defense to view plays in that section waiting.

This gives a little bit of extra time for the defense to select a play, without changing the time frame, or anything else happening at all.

The only negative to this approach is the slight change in focusing on if the personnel is locked.
That's totally unrealistic to tell the defense what formation the offense is choosing before the offense even breaks the huddle. Madden and NCAA used to do this a few years ago and it was ridiculous.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »