Home

Madden left stick control is no longer analog?

This is a discussion on Madden left stick control is no longer analog? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Icon4 Madden left stick control is no longer analog?

Let me first start off by saying its not a game killer (and you probably wont care) but it's one more thing that was in last gen and is now missing from current gen. This could be part why people are having a hard time running the ball.

I don't know if anyone else noticed but sometimes while controlling my player the animations look herky jerky. My player would come to a complete stop when I try to wait for my pulling guards on a sweep. I couldn't put my finger on it until today.

In Madden 09 (and NCAA) using the left analog stick is no different than using the d-pad when moving the player. In past maddens there were maybe 4 or 5 running animations. Depending on how much you moved the stick determined how fast the player moved and what animation was played. It allowed you to control a RB following blockers with somewhat precision.

Basically EA has reduced the different speeds of movement down to 2 running and sprinting. If you didn't notice, pop in a last gen copy of Madden or NCAA. Go into practice mode, offense only, hand the ball off to the RB. While holding the stick slightly to the left or right and slowly pushing the stick more to either direction, you'll see 3 or 4 different animations. The more you push the stick (to the edge) the faster he will run. This is all without using the sprint button. It enable us to control the players in a realistic smooth motion.

I'm no programmer but with all of the added animations this year. The tuning of gang tackling, added ability to break tackles and branch animations. They probably didn't have time to incorporate this (analog movement) in with the other stuff. My only issue is the dead zone (how much you can move the stick before the player moves) seems a little large.

Maybe next year we will get analog movement back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Madden left stick control is no longer analog.

Your telling me the 360 and PS3 versions have d-pad control, they don't have true 360 degree left analog stick movement on the Xbox 360! LOL, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Next-gen control is as advanced as the original nintendo d-pad...

Because on the Xbox1 Madden 09 there is definitely full left analog stick control with subtle movement with the left analog stick, what I thought would be standard for all games to follow on all systems...an assumption that has apparently not come to fruition...
Old 08-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #3
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Yeah you are right. I think there were 4 animations depending on how far you would push the stick back on ps2. I really miss the one where you just barely touched the left stick and you could get a hunched over grandpa-walk animation. It was a super slow walk and it was my favorite way to taunt the opposing player by walking across the goaline. I am such a jerk
Old 08-21-2008, 01:42 AM   #4
MVP

This has already been posted before:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...discovery.html

But I think the mods should leave this open because not everybody appears to know about it.

In my opinion, this is a step backwards. The running game was also analog in 08 for the 360 too, not just for the PS2, Xbox versions.

Last edited by ThePPL; 08-21-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
I think there were 4 animations depending on how far you would push the stick back on ps2. I really miss the one where you just barely touched the left stick and you could get a hunched over grandpa-walk animation. It was a super slow walk and it was my favorite way to taunt the opposing player by walking across the goaline.
Is this non-analog stick control that we are referring to an issue on Madden 09 360 / PS3? Or is it on all versions of Madden 09, including Xbox1?

Which games had that hunched over grandpa-walk animation and which systems were they on? Which game was that animation taken out and when did games start having d-pad like control?

Like did Madden 2002 or something on PS2 have that grandpa-walk hunched over animation? Was this also on the early PS2 NCAA games? Which Madden version did they take out that hunched over version

How bout Madden 09 on Xbox1? Is the responsiveness of the left analog stick on the original xbox version satisfactory to you? Or do they not still have as much variation on the left analog stick as you would prefer?

I want to know if this analog stick lack of precision issue people are having with is just with the 360/PS3 version of Madden 09 or if it is an issue of all versions of Madden 09.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU_DW2
Is this non-analog stick control that we are referring to an issue on Madden 09 360 / PS3? Or is it on all versions of Madden 09, including Xbox1?

Which games had that hunched over grandpa-walk animation and which systems were they on? Which game was that animation taken out and when did games start having d-pad like control?

Like did Madden 2002 or something on PS2 have that grandpa-walk hunched over animation? Was this also on the early PS2 NCAA games? Which Madden version did they take out that hunched over version

How bout Madden 09 on Xbox1? Is the responsiveness of the left analog stick on the original xbox version satisfactory to you? Or do they not still have as much variation on the left analog stick as you would prefer?

I want to know if this analog stick lack of precision issue people are having with is just with the 360/PS3 version of Madden 09 or if it is an issue of all versions of Madden 09.
I can only confirm the 360 and ps3 version.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 3

*sigh*
Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

I thought I was noticing the same thing.

Then, I switched from the adapting madden level to all pro. And it disappeared.

I think the non-analog effect is coming from the custom sliders. In effect, the game is making it harder for you by making your players not respond properly.

Even since I turned off the adapting difficulty thing, it seems fine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »