Home

Did Gamestop sell me a used copy as new?

This is a discussion on Did Gamestop sell me a used copy as new? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2008, 02:03 AM   #9
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Did Gamestop sell me a used copy as new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_OS
LOL>>> .. uh, what?

GS did that to me once. pissed me off but it was to far of a drive to go make a stink.
oh damn! And I was just jokin. LOL!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:09 AM   #10
Pro

Ankido's Arena

OVR: 14

Of course they take games home to play them, they are labeled used. You wouldn't believe how many people would buy used over new just to knock off $10. They never give you new unless you ask for it. I know this because I buy games there every month. Yes, I spend $60 a month, that's $720. Sometimes I buy 2 games a month. I'm rich and loving it. Never has gamestop ever given me a used copy without me saying "yes".
Old 08-21-2008, 02:10 AM   #11
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankido
That is false information, gamestop doesn't open their games. They are all sealed unless you ask for used. They probably asked you and you said used or misunderstood. Trust me, I've been with Gamestop since they were babbages and they've never sold games that were opened brand new. They are always sealed. You might want to call them to make sure they didn't sell you a used copy. There's no such thing as theft, they have only 1 copy that's opened for shelf everything else is sealed and put in drawers.
Actually, I had the same thing happen to me.

I went to gamestop to by a "new" game. The dude went behind the counter, pulled out a disc, put it in an empty case, closed it, put it in front of me, and charged me the full price of a new game.

Needless to say, I ended up not buying it.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2008, 02:17 AM   #12
Pro

GOBLUE_08's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDofBA
Actually, I had the same thing happen to me.

I went to gamestop to by a "new" game. The dude went behind the counter, pulled out a disc, put it in an empty case, closed it, put it in front of me, and charged me the full price of a new game.

Needless to say, I ended up not buying it.

Exactly, they do stuff like that all the time and most people dont pay any mind that they are giving them an already opened game. any new release you buy is in the glass case behind the counter and it will be wrapped in plastic.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:23 AM   #13
Pro

GOBLUE_08's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
That is false information, gamestop doesn't open their games. They are all sealed unless you ask for used. They probably asked you and you said used or misunderstood. Trust me, I've been with Gamestop since they were babbages and they've never sold games that were opened brand new. They are always sealed. You might want to call them to make sure they didn't sell you a used copy. There's no such thing as theft, they have only 1 copy that's opened for shelf everything else is sealed and put in drawers.

I dont know what gamestop you buy from rich guy, but they do actually open games and play them, test them, and whatever else they do with them, and yes they will try to pass them off as new. I've seen this happen with my own eyes. I went to buy NHL 08 NEW becuase they allegedly had none used so when i went to the counter the dude went in the USED drawer pulled out the game, put it in the case and slapped a NEW sticker on the box. This is a everyday occurance, trust me.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:29 AM   #14
Straight Edge

DXZeke's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
After spending 2yrs with EB and Gamestop.
They "Gut" a few copies of games. They'll take the Game Disc and Instructions out of the game box and put them in either a protective sleeve or a plastic baggy. They will give you sealed copies until they run out of those and then sell you the "gutted" copies. They place the game back in the case and put a clear white sticker on the side of the game case to keep it closed so that way you an return the game since it's not in factory seal.

If they were to sell you a game that has a yellow sticker on the case (used sticker) and charge you the new price, then that right there is pretty screwed up.

But selling "gutted" copies is nothing new and they will never stop doing so since they don't have enough blank cases OR room behind the shelves to store all those games in their cases. It sucks that the workers have to do this practice, but it's company policy. If people don't like it, don't buy.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:25 AM   #15
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

I buy from gamestop all of the time and have never gotten an opened "New" game. I have boughten NCAA 08 and 09, Madden 08 and 09, NHL 07 and 08, MLB 2k7 and 2k8, and one of my two non sports games- Halo 3. Not to mention all of the games I've bought there before I got my 360.

Now that I think of it I have bought only five games from different stores.

Madden 07- Best Buy
NCAA 07- Target
Fifa 07- Target
Fifa 08- Target
GTA IV- Target

The only reason I bought those games there was because I had gift cards and had no games to trade in. I'll be buying NHL 09 from Best Buy because I have 25$ rewards card money which is nice since I have no games to trade into gamestop.

It seems I always find a way to save money. Even though it's a major ripoff to trade in to gamestop if I don't play the game anymore it makes since to at least get something for it which is mainly the reason for me buying at gamestop.

Sorry for me sidetracking but I have never bought a new game that is already opened. If gamestop ever did that to me I would walk right out the ****ing door! That is like a slap in the face to the customer IMO. I just find that disrespectful unless they give it to you for the used price.

Last edited by bwiggy33; 08-21-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2008, 03:30 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
What are you talking about? Sure they keep some sealed copies of new games behind the counter, but mostly all of their games are gutted, with the disc and manual being placed in paper cd holder underneath their counters.

As someone said, not sure what gamestop you're buying from, but it must be nice.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »