Home

Playing Man is Useless

This is a discussion on Playing Man is Useless within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Playing Man Defense is Useless

Last year the defensive backs were superhuman and would pick off any pass in the same vicinity. This year the defensive backs get burned on a consistent basis forcing people to play zone 95% of the time if they don't want to get burned in the passing game. Even shutdown corners fail to take a receiver out a game in man to man, if I'm the Eagles and have three corners all rated 90 overall and above the opposing team should have an etremely didfficult time passing the ball. This is not the case this year as Derek Hagan of Miami and the 3rd receiver who is very average to below avearge can easily beat Lito Shppard. This should not be the case.

Is there anyway to possibly patch this and make man a little more effective? I'm not asking for the superhuman defense from 08 but something in between. Playing zone almost all the time and cutting out half the defensive playbook because the secondary can't play man to man is lame.

Last edited by The2ndComing8; 08-21-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Playing Man is Useless

If you think playing man is bad, try playing zone.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 28

Man is horrible on digs and outs. You have to be playing the safety and anticipating what receiver is going to cut in or out. lol
Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 7

It is broken. There is no easy fix. Just the way it is.

All pro football had this dynamic perfectly.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm playing a game right now against the jets. Farve was 17 for 17 at the half. Now half way through the 3rd he's 25 of 27. This is starting to piss me off. I've tried everything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 37

Well here's the problem~ the passing engine is broken. You have two choices: non stop INTS (Madden 08) or robo QB (Madden 09). We see the same thing on NCAA 08 vs NCAA 09. If I have to choose I will take robo QB ten times out of ten because at least I can play 09... 08 was the most frustrating Madden I have ever played.

The developers tinker with a slider scale to balance completions with ints. Both NCAA and Madden still have ridiculous DB's and LB's who jump ten feet and catch a bullet or run in front of the WR and pick the ball. An entirely new passing (and blocking) engine is needed BUT and here's the BIG but... EA leave the passing as is for next year and RESTORE ALL OF THE FEATURES OF LAST GEN FRANCHISE/OWNER MODE! I can live with high comp % but not if the franchise mode is terrible
Old 08-22-2008, 01:59 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 6

During our tourney yesterday, all I played on passing down was Cover 2 sink and no one could pass on me. Against the CPU, nothing works. I don't have my 360 back yet, but is there a human slider for Awareness on D? That may help.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:12 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 28

The only way to play man to man is to blitz. If you don't get there you're screwed. Any out route, dig route, or hook route even on one side will be open. Just look at the hook routes... The corner will just be standing there behind the receiver and will let him catch the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »