Home

Any help throwing the deep ball?

This is a discussion on Any help throwing the deep ball? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Pro

SolidSnake07's Arena

OVR: 6
Any help throwing the deep ball?

Can anyone offer any help on throwing the deep ball? Its not that I dont get enough blocking but the DBs always seem to be a few steps ahead of my WR even the faster ones like Chad Johnson and T.O. I've tried everything but I cant seem to complete deep passes consistently enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Any help throwing the deep ball?

Using shotgun 5 wide...Sideline receivers run deep patterns and slot receiver runs a post...Use the pump fake and LOB your deep ball to either of the two deep receivers...obviously defensive assignments and packages will dictate outcome..ur other two receivers are running hooks so half the time you need to dump off..im having good success with this

Second using big packages...Im having good success with isolated receiver running a crossing route to weak side..works everytime if i can get ball out to him before im sacked...only works in 'man coverage' and you need to implement 'precision' passing or youll get picked
Old 08-21-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

i usually just read the defense. when i see cover 1 or the safties cheating up i hot route my outside recievers to do a stop go route ( up on the right analog stick) . i do a lob lead pass. (hit up on the left analog stick while lobbing to the receiver that is open). this over throws the receiver but if its a quick receiver hell catch up to it. always works for me but it only occurs once or twice a game.

hope this helps
Old 08-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukerock12
i do a lob lead pass. (hit up on the left analog stick while lobbing to the receiver that is open). this over throws the receiver but if its a quick receiver hell catch up to it. always works for me but it only occurs once or twice a game.

hope this helps
This is the key. I had trouble going deep using the Pats with Brady and Moss until I discovered this. The ball would hang in the air and the DB would always catch up. This hits the wideout in stride.

I've found this works best around mid-field. If you have a good wideout on single coverage running a fly pattern, you can get a lot of long TD's this way. In one game against the A.I. I had over 300 yards receiving with Moss, with 3 TD's of 50-60 yards. This was with the difficulty on pass offense turned up to 17 (although it was against the Chiefs, who don't exactly have a ton of talent at DB.. or any other position, for that matter.)

If you have the talent on your team, you can ravage a defense with the long ball, if you use it properly.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
Rookie

i usually throw the deep ball in man coverage. im playing with the texans and once i see andre johnson run a deep route straight up the feild, all i have to do is lob it up and its money.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2008, 02:31 AM   #6
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

Say it is 2nd and one. You could bring out a run formation and have your best receiver run straight down the field. If he happens to be in man coverage go for it. Deep passes should be hard to complete but it is definatly not impossible.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:46 AM   #7
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Watch the safties. If they break on another WR and leave your deep man in one on one then go deep. Also on deep posts, as soon as your WR makes his cut on the DB throw the ball.

I think the deep passing this year is really well done. Its not money, but its not impossible.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31

I think the deep passing this year is really well done. Its not money, but its not impossible.
Agreed.

Myself, I've had little luck completing the deep ball...and I'm thankful.

To me, nothing ruins a football game faster than the deep pass being too easy. The rather rare 60 yard rainbow being successful should be very rewarding...vs a cheesy feeling.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »