Home

Let's talk online "Fair Play"

This is a discussion on Let's talk online "Fair Play" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #73
Pro

kiddlex's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Let's talk online "Fair Play"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
I must have missed this when it was originally posted. Last night I decided to go into the beginners lobby for a few random games. Here's how it went.

I'm a Chiefs fan so I use them, they are only rated a 71 so I don't expect to get a lot of wins. Wins are not why I play the game, I play because I love football and I want to have a realistic game when I play on line.

Game one vs. the Chargers. My opponent got the ball first and scored a TD, he scrambled like a madman and dropped back more then 15 yards ever pass play. After he scored he went for 2 and got it with the cheesy unstoppable QB sneak.
I had to punt on my possession he scored again 15-0. At the end of the half still 15-0 I stopped him at about the 20 yard line it was 4th and 6, I came out in my block field goal formation and he brought his offense on the field, he's up by 15 it's 4th and 6 and he's going for it. I left the game.

Game two vs. the Redskins. Before the kickoff my opponent paused the game for a bit. I discovered why once we started the game. He moved a LB into the DE position and on every play he manually moved that LB out to the right and came in untouched at my QB. I put up with it for about 5 plays then paused the game and sent him a voice message asking him if he was going to play football or just cheese it up all game. He sent a text message back that read "WTF?". I sent him another voice message and explained to him that I like to play NFL style football and do not care to waste my time with cheesers, I told him to enjoy his win and left the game.

Game 3 vs. the Jets. Jets got the ball first , this guy made Brett Farve look like he was 10 years younger, running all over the field, dropping back 20+ yards. He went for it on every 4th down no matter where he was on the field or what the distance he needed for a first down was. He used illegal subs all over the place. The first half ended with the score 10 - 7 with me leading, I got a game invite from a friend , so I sent this a-hole a voice message explaining to him that he could have the win as I had an invite from a non cheeser / glitcher, and I left the game.

Man my DNF % is going up

3 games in a row, all 3 were a total waste of my time. I value my gaming time as I work all day and I only have so much time to game in the evening. I refuse to waste it with these types of players.

Clearly something needs to be done.
I suggest:

Have two ranked gaming area's, one the way it is now for the cheesers, and a second one for the Fair Play sim guys who like to play a realistic game of NFL football.

1. Bring back the feature that does not allow people to go for it on 4th down unless it is a situation where a real NFL coach would go for it. Like 4th and inches inside the 40. Also if they have a two score lead and it's 4th and short only give them the option for a punt or field goal.

2. I'm no game programmer so I don't know what the limitations are, but if you could add something to the game that would not allow a player to be successful when scrambling with a non scrambling QB, or dropping back 15 to 20+ yards that would be great. Never in all my year of watching NFL football have I seen a Qb drop that far back with out getting creamed. Add a feature that gives the defender super speed once the QB drops back 15 yards so we can sack him, or just make it so when he throws the ball after a long drop back that his pass will be way off target.

3.Make the game so no illegal subs can be made. Putting a speedy LB at DE is clearly a cheese move. Or a WR at tight end, or a WR at HB, or a DB at LB. Also find a way to penalize people who manually move their DE way out to the right or left for easy sacks. I guess better O-line A.I. play might help with that.

One more thing I'd like to see that 2k does real well. If someone’s record shows that they are not a beginner like 50-8 do not allow them in the beginners room. In 2k8 once you have a certain number of wins you have to move on the the experienced rooms. I get targeted by the guys with tons of wins for two reasons 1. I use the Chiefs and 2. my record is 4-14. I don’t mind playing guys using the super teams , Cowboys, Colts, Pats, Chargers, and so on , but it seems a bit one sided when a guy is level 5 and has 50+ wins and I’m level 1 with 4 wins.

Thanks
Great post that I believe illustrates exactly how many of us feel playing online. I hope the devs read it and take it to heart. Fix the automatic QB sneak, implement fair play, and install player penalty ratings when you play guys out of their natural position.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #74
MVP

OVR: 18

We need fair play back, with a few necessary tweaks.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #75
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
We need fair play back, with a few necessary tweaks.
Read this.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-sim-mode.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 14

I played 3 games so far this year. Its just not Fun playing it online.Please bring back fair play. Like one guy said make 2 ranked rooms. All the cheesers are going to go to the room without the fair play.So i won't have to play them at all......

PSN Brandon26ms
Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #77
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddeninyoeye
4th down and more than inches in your own territory should be punt all the way. In opponents territory should be optional. 4th and 4 or more inside opponents territory should be special teams no matter what. Shorter than that should be player's decision.

Inside own 20 4th and anything and going for it is ridiculous. Unless inches I think punt should be mandatory.
I don't play online but what if it is the last few seconds of the fourth quarter and you are down by more then 3? In that case going for it is a must and special teams are not an option
Old 09-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #78
MVP

OVR: 21

I understand peoples desire for fairplay but fairplay is a band-aid to the real problem.

A player should be able to run his offense/defense however they want. If they want to go for it on 4th down or run hurry up, they should be able to at any point in the game. The problem is there really is no risk for players that do this currently.

4th down, no one is scared to go for it because there is no danger. In AP2K8 there is a element of risk. The defensive line attacks ALOT more aggressively in that game. If its 4th and long you are pretty much nervous about going for it because the odds are Good you are NOT gonna make it.(Which is why its not done alot in real life)

Scrambling around in the pocket is safe to do in Madden, not so in AP2K8, especially if you have a pocket passer. Madden needs to make the downside greater for playing whack football(tourney ball) not band-aid it with fair-play rules that take away a players ability to run their team the way they want.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #79
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard

here is another example......i have a 4th and 2 from my opponents 33 yardline......i have 15 MHP wind in my face......so my choice is to kick a 50 yard FG, punt, or go for it......the obvious choice to me is to go for it......im not making a 50 yard FG with all that wind......im not punting from the opponents 33 yardline......so on 4th and 2 you go for it......well, fair play forces you to punt or kick a FG.......this is in place to combat the cheaters who go for it in unrealistic situations......so again who gets penalized?? the str8 baller.......
Easy fix for this, all they have to do is allow the full special teams playbook in that situation so you would have the option for a fake FG - run or pass , or a fake punt - run or pass on 4th and short. All they would have to do is program it to give you the full special teams play book in side your opponents 35, any further back and the only option in the special teams playbook would be punt, or FG no fakes.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #80
Rookie

canes2008's Arena

OVR: 9

I think it's a great idea implement it please

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »