Home

Let's talk online "Fair Play"

This is a discussion on Let's talk online "Fair Play" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #41
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Let's talk online "Fair Play"

I'm all in favor of fair play online. The one thing I will mention, however, is that fake field goals and fake punts shouldn't be barred from happening, particularly in a range where a fake might actually occur (~from own 40-yard line forward).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
I am not for a "cheese rating" or "player ratings" ala NBA 2k period. The system didn't work and here's why. After someone loses they are never going to say "he played a great game, nice game, I think I'll give him an excellent rating!". They get so pissed off because of the loss that they give you a bad rating for revenge, "I'll show this guy, I'll give him a uses exploits rating to get back at him." Add to that everyone has a different definition of what "cheese" is... I can see someone giving me a "cheeser" rating for using audibles lol. "He keeps changing the play all the time!!!!!!" lol.

think about it.
Yeah, that is completely true. So many people get pissed off due to losses player ratings almost means jack crap.

For example, I've played players with good ratings who glitch and bad rating who don't.

Also creating a cheese rating won't deter any "cheesers" and could possibly screw some straight players. Let's say I have pension to go for the win in a close game, I go for two.

If I play a straight game but I prefer go for the win is that really cheesing?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #43
Rookie

USC-Trojans's Arena

OVR: 3

There should be a fair play option when playing online.

Fair play - Yes or no
Old 08-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #44
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14

Honestly, I have played enough online games that fair play doesn't feel necessary. When they do go for it on 4th down, usual it's 4th and short. QB sneaks are the usual call or some run play call that can normally get you 2 yards. If the QB sneak issue was dealt with, then those 4th downs may be harder to come by.

When it's 4th and a few yards, normally they just punt it. If they do go for it, sometimes they get it (good play call or effective route used), sometimes they don't.

Like I said, if you dealt with the issues that currently the offense has an animation and AI advantage over the defense right now, fair play shouldn't be necessary at all. Not fot a football game that wants to be the ultimate, realistic, simulation football game.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #45
Rookie

Dynamite's Arena

OVR: 8

Until it is the ultimate realistic simulation of football, fair play is at least necessary as an option for those who want a straight up game, rather than 100 plays of hurry up offense and going for it every fourth down.

Of course, if the FB/HB dive plays were a bit better balanced then we wouldn't have so many 4 and 3 calls where guys go for it on their own 20, but since that isn't the case, Fair Play steps in to make sure. With better tuning, it could be a great option for those looking for a straight game.

Also, contrary to your other post, it's not about one team being better than the other, because Fair Play works against both sides, but it is about keeping a game cheeser/bad sport free.
Our purchasing power is being eroded. So especially now, the goods must be held to a standard. We end up happier as consumers, and the companies get a clear message: "We won't tolerate sub-par goods." It's a shame, no one cares to speak with their wallet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 10

well for hurry up offense you should just make the defence have more options including player matchups maybe have a different audible book for hurry up defence? some nfl teams will use hurry up offence the whole way down the field untill they score soo i dont think you should limit that unless its once every other offensive possesion.

as for going for it on 4th down if im down 34 - 7 with 3 minutes left in the third that means in the game i have 8 minutes total left if your playing 5 minute quarters if i cant go for it on forth when theres only 8 minutes left and im down a ****load of points i should be allowed to go for it on 4th down anywhere on the field.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #47
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

I'd be all for a fair play option. At least if you wanted to use it it would be available.

The way it is right now unless im in a league with a close group of friends I don't really play online due to cheese.

Twitch Stream
Old 08-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #48
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
Fair Play just doesn't feel right since you have a game the restrict you of your coaching options. That should never be done. In fact, fair play made up faults in the gameplay that allowed players to get 4th downs to easily. Plus at times when going for 4th down made sense, it restricts you (4th & 4 on opp 37, too far for kicker range, to short for punt range, might as well go for it). Plus the games are so quick with 5 min quarters, sometimes when you get behind you want to take the risk so you aren't behind to long before the gap gets larger and time gets smaller...

If the AI and animation system is better programed so Qb sneaks, dropping to far back and always rolling out, and no huddling all the time won't be such an effective tool anymore (while done in realistic matter). Then there shouldn't be a need for Fair Play at all because if your getting beat on 4th down with some yards to go, you're just being outplayed.

I just don't think Fair Play would be necessary if those mention points were dealt with. Those who still complain aren't just good as their opponent or something then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
As usual our culture is conditioned to take care of the roach infestation buy nuking the house.

Fair Play solves nothing and overlooks the real problem....the roaches. If the roaches are never killed the houses will always have them. roaches are gonna always do what they do...eat your food.

The real issue is WHY do I need fair play ?

1. People going for it on 4th down.

Why should people not be able to go for it on 4th down ? Thats a choice in the real game it should be a choice in this game.

A better fix would be what AP2K8 has.(Theres that game again) On 4th downs the Star players seem to get a (undocumented boost) to their stats. The defensive line brings WAY more pressure and LB's play the run more aggressively. After a while of playing under those condidtions, YOU are conditioned to FEAR going for it on 4th down. It becomes a big risk, but if you do manage to make it, you should be rewarded.

2. Hurry up offense.

Again, If a coach wants to do this why should the game stop them ?

The cure is to make player fatigue more profound on the offense when they are in the hurry up. Also if they ran it alot in the 1st 3 quarters the offensive players ratings should take a -5 point hit going into the 4th quarter. I am sure the game can track how many times that hurry up button was used, if it was used for more than 50% of the plays ran through the first 3 quarters, the 4th quarter rating reduction function should kick in.
These are the most important points here IMO. The main reason we're having this discussion at all is because the game is tuned to be ultra forgiving to people who don't use football fundamentals.

The one year I did play online, Fair Play ironically ended up being a huge negative for me. A lot of players knew an exploit where they could block punts every single time, so since I was locked into punting on most plays, it was a 100% guaranteed block for them.

That was the last straw for me and online play. No more playing people I know, hunting sim games, screw all that, I'll just wait until Fair Play is a natural byproduct of the gameplay and A.I.. And if it never happens, then I can live with never playing online again.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »