Home

Hate the new Madden commercial

This is a discussion on Hate the new Madden commercial within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Hate the new Madden commercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211

And why is EA contradicting itself in its advertising? One commercial you got John Madden saying how much he hates "cheese" then you turn around and put out a commercial glorifying King Cheese himself???
You beat me to it
Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 18

I don't think the kid is a "cheeser" . Going for it on 4th and 20 is cheesing. I've seen pro teams go for two points to win a game. One game stands out to me, about 4 or 5 years ago the Viking beat the Saint on a two point conversion. Daunte Culpepper ran it in. I believe that Madden Challenge playing is different than "sim". In a Madden Challenge you are playing a person first. In a sim match your try emulate how the two real team would play each other. The kid is cocky, but that just mean he believes in his skills.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #19
Pro

kiddlex's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVinatieri4xsbchamp
I dont think you really understand my point. It has nothing to do with liking the guy personally, or even your feelings on EA. And if you dont want to play in challenges, dont play in them, but regardless you're never going to find competitive video gaming on an organized level where everyone is playing straight up. Any pro gamer will be ready to do something that would be considered "cheese" to get the win. In the Gears of War tournament if it wasnt being played on a local connection everyone was weapon sliding because its allowed. Its a glitch, and not intended gameplay, but theres no rules against. Just like there isnt any rules against these peoples game styles in this competition. Just because you dont agree with the tactic doesnt mean they should stop doing it.
When the game was first brought out it didn't have 11 vs 11. EA wanted to sign Madden for consulting and naming rights. He refused to do the gig without EA first and foremost doing their best to accurately imitate the real NFL. Their are even stories of John in the past watching his grandson play and getting upset at his ability to "cheese" while playing. The main problem being the overly successful 4th down conversions. So by Madden foundation I am referring to the fact the game's namesake and eventual success were built upon the idea of simulating to the best of current technologies ability the real NFL. It seems unfortunately though that Madden sold out to please certain gamers and make it easy for just about anyone to pick up the controller and play. Their business decision was based on the concept of more players=more sales. I agree this is a sound business idea, however, if they were to accurately go back to recreating the real NFL, I personally believe the sales would take care of themselves. Furthermore I strongly believe the sell out period is over at Electronic Arts. Under the new direction of Ian Cummings the game will once again head back in the direction of Maddens original legacy and intent. That being to simulate what we see on Sundays to the best of current techs ability. The thing that makes me so sure of Ians ability to right the ship in one year is the fact that Madden 2009 has taken a huge step forward without his leadership. He has stated he is a sim baller like the majority of us. So putting the fact that Madden is already improved together with developers like Ian and Donnies visons and you can't help but be excited for the future. Who else would you want at the helm of your NFL game? Im putting my money on one bad *** game in 2010.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddlex
When the game was first brought out it didn't have 11 vs 11. EA wanted to sign Madden for consulting and naming rights. He refused to do the gig without EA first and foremost doing their best to accurately imitate the real NFL. Their are even stories of John in the past watching his grandson play and getting upset at his ability to "cheese" while playing. The main problem being the overly successful 4th down conversions. So by Madden foundation I am referring to the fact the game's namesake and eventual success were built upon the idea of simulating to the best of current technologies ability the real NFL. It seems unfortunately though that Madden sold out to please certain gamers and make it easy for just about anyone to pick up the controller and play. Their business decision was based on the concept of more players=more sales. I agree this is a sound business idea, however, if they were to accurately go back to recreating the real NFL, I personally believe the sales would take care of themselves. Furthermore I strongly believe the sell out period is over at Electronic Arts. Under the new direction of Ian Cummings the game will once again head back in the direction of Maddens original legacy and intent. That being to simulate what we see on Sundays to the best of current techs ability. The thing that makes me so sure of Ians ability to right the ship in one year is the fact that Madden 2009 has taken a huge step forward without his leadership. He has stated he is a sim baller like the majority of us. So putting the fact that Madden is already improved together with developers like Ian and Donnies visons and you can't help but be excited for the future. Who else would you want at the helm of your NFL game? Im putting my money on one bad *** game in 2010.
Great post. The history of the franchise and its objectives need to be hammered home again and again. It's what drove the franchise to prominence because it was the only game doing that. Ironically it's been going the other direction on next-gen and it's quality has suffered in many unfortunate areas as a result.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddlex
I disagree. The majority of them are obnoxious punks who represent everything thats has contributed too the inevitable destruction of the venerable Madden foundation. I only hope Ian reverses this extremely unfortunate chain of events.
True, so true. I get sick watching it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #22
MVP

thejake's Arena

OVR: 17

the funniest thing about it is I believe he says he ran fullback dive. The cheesiest play in the game. You can argue the merits of going for it or not, but no one would run a fullback dive in real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »