Home

What made Madden 05 so special?

This is a discussion on What made Madden 05 so special? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3

I know that was the year they brought out the defensive audibles/adjustment but I never played Madden 05 at all. Why is this arguably the best Madden ever?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2008, 04:04 AM   #2
MVP

jewelz1132's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: What made Madden 05 so special?

competition
Old 08-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoST.
I know that was the year they brought out the defensive audibles/adjustment but I never played Madden 05 at all. Why is this arguably the best Madden ever?

I think that was the first year for "playmaker"?

It was ok - I still think ESPN NFL 2K5 completely owns every Madden game ever made, including this Madden.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32

A franchise mode that was killer when you used the Manifesto that was developed by the community,

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves
Old 08-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelz1132
competition
bingo!!!

its not rocket science here folks.. once EA realized they could not beat what NFL2k was doing.. by 2K putting out a better product, and even selling it for $19.99, which was the final straw for EA. They will not give up a penny in profits, and they promptly raised the price back up to $50 once NFL2k was out of the picture.

It is absolutely sickening to see how EA wins by just buying out the competition.

I do not know how anyone can disagree with this, or be fine with what EA has done here.

They promptly bought the NFL License, and even bought ESPN just to make sure that 2K doesn't come back with ESPN in another football game. That is obvious as they have no plans to use the ESPN name in Madden, as you have already seen. Its nowhere to be found. Just buy them out, and eliminate competition.

as sports gamers who love the NFL, we all lose here people!! when is everyone going to wake up and see the light.. geez!!

and that is what made Madden05 special (to the OP anyway), it was the last year they really had to work for our hard earned money.

Last edited by boooey; 08-24-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoST.
Nothing, cause it wasn't. Anyone who ... let me not start a flame war.... ok if you wanted to "have fun" then Madden 05 was the best madden game because as mentioned before they had to compete with NFL 2K5. However if you wanted to really get the feel of football you were playing NFL 2K5. Fast forward to 2008 and it's CLEAR that the lack of competition is hurting football videogames. The only reason I'm not completely mad at buying Madden 09 is because I went in with no expectation of the game really being a sim and because I did want to run with my Superbowl champs this year.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
I think that was the first year for "playmaker"?

It was ok - I still think ESPN NFL 2K5 completely owns every Madden game ever made, including this Madden.
Nah ...Popped in NFL 2k5 last night and it's not as good as madden 09
Old 08-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
bingo!!!

its not rocket science here folks.. once EA realized they could not beat what NFL2k was doing.. by 2K putting out a better product, and even selling it for $19.99, which was the final straw for EA. They will not give up a penny in profits, and they promptly raised the price back up to $50 once NFL2k was out of the picture.

It is absolutely sickening to see how EA wins by just buying out the competition.

I do not know how anyone can disagree with this, or be fine with what EA has done here.

They promptly bought the NFL License, and even bought ESPN just to make sure that 2K doesn't come back with ESPN in another football game. That is obvious as they have no plans to use the ESPN name in Madden, as you have already seen. Its nowhere to be found. Just buy them out, and eliminate competition.

as sports gamers who love the NFL, we all lose here people!! when is everyone going to wake up and see the light.. geez!!

and that is what made Madden05 special (to the OP anyway), it was the last year they really had to work for our hard earned money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
Nothing, cause it wasn't. Anyone who ... let me not start a flame war.... ok if you wanted to "have fun" then Madden 05 was the best madden game because as mentioned before they had to compete with NFL 2K5. However if you wanted to really get the feel of football you were playing NFL 2K5. Fast forward to 2008 and it's CLEAR that the lack of competition is hurting football videogames. The only reason I'm not completely mad at buying Madden 09 is because I went in with no expectation of the game really being a sim and because I did want to run with my Superbowl champs this year.
and with these two posts, this thread will be closed. We are not going to have yet another 2k vs EA thread war.

Thanks gentlemen. Some of us who actually enjoy EA's football titles may have liked to discuss this topic.

Locked.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »