Home

Edited players do progress in franchise mode. Sort of.

This is a discussion on Edited players do progress in franchise mode. Sort of. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Edited players do progress in franchise mode. Sort of.

I have been reading a lot the past few days about player progression/regression in this years version and did some mini-experiments of my own tonight. I took my franchise (currently in year 3 with the Bears) and edited the following players equipment:

Donovan McNabb (he'll be there soon I hope)
Kyle Orton
Kellen Lewis (Imported from NCAA)
Matt Forte
Patrick Cobbs
Garrett Wolfe
Devin Hester
Earl Bennet
Brian Urlacher
Tommie Harris
Greg Olsen

In the first full season simmed, only Devin Hester and Earl Bennet progressed (large awareness progressions mainly, +6 each, with the catch rating also improving). No one else progressed or regressed.

In the second season Matt Forte's awareness went up +6 and catch went up +6. Devin Hester's ratings did exactly the same. No one else changed either way.

In the third season Devin Hester's awareness went up +6 again. No one else modified.

In the fourth and final season of my mini-experiment, Hester's awareness went up +6 again. No one else changed.

So, as apparently progression does occurr, but only in 2 categories and only to a few players. I don't know what that means, but something certainly doesn't make sense with the progression for edited players.

I'd be interested if someone wanted to try the same thing, but editing the players before the start of the franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Edited players do progress in franchise mode. Sort of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeciialJ
I have been reading a lot the past few days about player progression/regression in this years version and did some mini-experiments of my own tonight. I took my franchise (currently in year 3 with the Bears) and edited the following players equipment:

Donovan McNabb (he'll be there soon I hope)
Kyle Orton
Kellen Lewis (Imported from NCAA)
Matt Forte
Patrick Cobbs
Garrett Wolfe
Devin Hester
Earl Bennet
Brian Urlacher
Tommie Harris
Greg Olsen

In the first full season simmed, only Devin Hester and Earl Bennet progressed (large awareness progressions mainly, +6 each, with the catch rating also improving). No one else progressed or regressed.

In the second season Matt Forte's awareness went up +6 and catch went up +6. Devin Hester's ratings did exactly the same. No one else changed either way.

In the third season Devin Hester's awareness went up +6 again. No one else modified.

In the fourth and final season of my mini-experiment, Hester's awareness went up +6 again. No one else changed.

So, as apparently progression does occurr, but only in 2 categories and only to a few players. I don't know what that means, but something certainly doesn't make sense with the progression for edited players.

I'd be interested if someone wanted to try the same thing, but editing the players before the start of the franchise.
I've edited a TON of players and have seen progression on some of them in my franchise. Like many others, I though editing was an issue at first. I really think it's just a weak progression system as I'm seeing relatively the same progression with edited players as I did when I tested franchise out of the box. It's random and pretty sparse, but it's there.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

First, I simulated a season using the latest EA rosters with zero changes/edits made. Started a new franchise and made sure that injuries wouldn't occur. I checked to see if Adrian Peterson (Vikings version), McFadden, Jake Long, Gholston, and Dorsey progressed.

unedit progression.jpg

Then I took the same roster file and made the following edits to those same players which I used to start another Franchise. Adrian Peterson (AWR lowered to a 50, giving him an OVR of 91), D. McFadden (Name change to "Darren McFadd"), J. Long (2 pts subtracted from STR rating, OVR of 84), Gholston (2 pts added to STR and SPD ratings, OVR of 84), Dorsey (2pts added to SPD, OVR of 85).

After one simulated season, none of the edited players progressed in any rating after having productive statistical seasons. Progression was not shown in either the Player Progression screen or the Depth Chart. Progression was shown to occur with various other unedited players.

Yr1stats.jpg
YR2 Ratings.jpg

After two simulated seasons, none of the edited players increased or decreased in any ratings.

After three simulated seasons...

Yr3 ratings.jpg

There was one exception among the edited players, that being "Darren McFadd" who showed authentic progression on the Team Progression, and an OVR increase (when viewed via the Team Depth Chart). This was progression, and not a positional coaching bonus.

Yr3 Dmcfadd.jpg

In fairness, this is not a conclusive example to prove that editing a player's name, equipment or ratings will prohibit that player from Progression/Regression during a Franchise. It is my personal experience that every single time I've edited a player's ratings or equipment and ran a simulation test that they would not progress in any way. The modified players would recieve "coaching bonuses", but would not improve or decline on a year to year basis going a maximum of 4 simulated seasons (I figured that if a rookie didn't improve or decline after 3 seasons then he just wouldn't anyway). It is my personal experience that every time a player was modified in any fashion, their "Draft, How Acquired, and Pro Bowl information" would be incorrect or lost. It is my personal experience that editing a player's name will not prohibit that player from progressing. I did not see any of the veteran players in the league decline in ratings after 3 simulated seasons.

I have the Collector's Edition on the PS3, and Franchise mode is 90% of the reason why I purchased Madden. I personally feel that this is the best playing football game on the planet. Was slightly disappointed when I learned that there would be minimal additions to the Franchise mode, but was/would have been content if everything that was included as a feature in the game worked. If I happen to have a faulty copy of the game then I'd gladly return it for a version in which edits don't cause any unforseen problems. If this happens to be something that can't or won't be fixed via a patch or DLC, then knowing that information would be appreciated so that I can "move on".
Old 08-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 39

Good Post, Da Rebirth..awesome pics that really helps with the explanation.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Good Post, Da Rebirth..awesome pics that really helps with the explanation.

No problem, I understand that bugs/glitches are unavoidable in software and I don't expect perfection. Not trying to present my experience as the definitive result that occurs with editing a player. However, it has been MY 100% consistent result and was trying to offer a form of proof for anyone that could appreciate it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

I did a ton of simming last night to get a look at this lack of progression myself. It is actually quite sickening. Players seem to only progress in their first 3 years. The only exception I noticed was some older tight ends would receive a random huge boost of AWR.

I simmed 5 years and then went to the progression menu to view the entire NFL. I had to scroll all they way down to 88 before I saw anyone that had progressed. From 99-88 they were all current players that had not changed. There is absolutely no regression.

Obviously the most disheartening thing is players that produce above their rating will not change at all. There is no chance of a late round guy becoming a good player. There is no chance of a guy having a breakout year his 4th year in the league and then seeing an improvement because of it.

Has anyone found out yet what IGN was talking about when they displayed the progression/regression system that we were supposed to find? Is it on PS2? I would just like to know.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

I ahve found that editing equipment on imported rookies causes them to never progress. Anyone else confirming this?

Looked like Kellen Lewis didn't progres in the above experiment.

This progression system with all these assorted bugs HAS to be patched or I am trading this game in and will not buy Madden anymore. It's been 4 years and Franchise Mode is still a huge mess. There's too many other good games out there to keep buying a broken one.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

That ruins franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »