Home

Madden misses the mark again, constructive criticism attached

This is a discussion on Madden misses the mark again, constructive criticism attached within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Madden misses the mark again, constructive criticism attached

great post......great follow thought posted too.....

regrading AI in this game......last night, Cle at Balt.....im up 20-7.....CPU scores with 15 seconds and no TO remaining......score is now 20-14......and the CPU kicks off like normal......NO ONSIDE?

thats just unacceptable......15 seconds left and they dont onside.....makes no sense.....
Old 08-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
There's some good stuff in here...

The lack of in-game saves is a big one, for me.

I hope they patch it in.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

Finally! A thread that has well thought out posts and good points. Hopefully, I'll be able to add to this trend.

I bought 09 for the PS3 at a midnight release, played it and loved it. Then I played more. Loved it a little less. Then more. Loved it a little less.

The poster who said there is just something missing was exactly right. There's just something a little off about this game. So, I picked up Madden 09 for the original Xbox and I am loving it.

And I keep loving it.

Other than having to fix EVERY SINGLE player model on the Xbox version -- for some reason EA messed this up for the second straight year, quarterbacks look like they have been sucking down steroids and linemen look like they are on Jenny Craig, the game plays great.

What does it say about "next-gen" when after four years of Madden on the new systems, the old Xbox game still rates higher?

For the life of me I will never understand how a next-gen game can have fewer features than an "old-gen" game ... for FOUR YEARS. It's as if an automaker rolled out the newest model of their top selling car and took power steering, automatic transmission and power windows out of it ... and installed an 8-track player as the sound system.

There is another post on this site that says "Madden 2010 should be the best Madden ever." Haven't we been saying that for four years? I remember thinking "Madden 09 should be the best Madden ever." It's not.

For that, you may just have to revisit that big black box.

Thanks for listening and starting a great post.

Later.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmarkjen
I am frustrated with Madden. Not Madden 09, or 08 or 07 - but with all of the Madden's on the next gen systems. It seems to me that while the firepower with technology is there, the core of the game play has gone backwards. Visually, the game is beautiful this year. The animations are terrific and the player models are much improved. The interface on the play call menu is a vast improvement.

But the game irks me. And I'm not talking about the fact that I'm struggling with my running game. Specifically, I find the following completely unacceptable -

* CPU AI. The CPU drives to my 31 yard line and I hold them. Yet, they PUNT. No FG attempt; they punt. Unless the snow was falling and the wind was stiff in your face; an NFL team would never punt. To make matters worse, the punter booms it out of the endzone (as they always do; the CPU never pins me inside the 10) and the commentary "congratulates" the punter for such a bomb of a punt. It was net 11 yards! This has been happening for years and it never gets fixed.

* FG kicking; again way too easy. Why in the world can't this be tuned in the following manner - give the kickers attributes for distance and clutchness. Your kick meter is different for anything inside 40 yards; easier. From 40 out, it gets harder and it gets really hard from 50, and exceptionally hard from 55. And the weather needs to impact the kicks more often. Is it too much to ask that the PUNTER is the HOLDER on FG's, not the backup QB. 99% of the time it is someone other than the backup QB who holds for kicks.

* Kickoffs - why can't I squib it if I want to? Why can't I have a kick return left or right? I can only return up the middle or recover an onside?

* Weather - it needs to impact the game. It doesn't. It needs to for kicks, throwing, running and catching.

* Home Field Advantage - it exists in SOME NFL stadiums; it needs to be part of the game.

* Atmosphere - It just doesn't grab you; it should. And of course the playoffs and Super Bowl need a lot of help.

* QB ratings - is it asking too much to give ratings to QB in some simple areas such as SHORT PASS, MEDIUM PASS, LONG PASS, etc. Is it too much to ask that any given QB has strenghts and weaknesses in these very basic categories? Shouldn't that be reflected?

* Playbooks - I might be getting crazy in my old age, but it seems like there are less plays this year and they all seem to be the same for the most part from team to team. Why not give me the option to put "packages" of plays in from game to game. Let me choose short pass plays, long pass plays, medium pass plays, screens, all the running plays, and even include a package of TRICK PLAYS.

* Accelerated clock and in-game saves- put them back in the game! And while you're at it, let's see some helmets fly off with a perfect hit stick!

* Injuries - DON'T TELL ME IMMEDIATELY. Let a few plays go by and swing it down to a sideline reporter (you would have to put one back in the game) to give me a report about the injury

EA SPORTS - I am a loyal customer; I've bought Madden for a long long time. I buy it every year, along with Tiger Woods (I have some constructive criticism for that game too); I only buy the sports games. You all need to honor your words of "It's in the game" and (a) put ALL of the features back in the game that have been there in the past (I want to assign my best DB to cover T.O) and (b) innovate more.

I think Madden 09 is good. And friends, this disappoints me. Why? Because is should be great. It needs to be great. It isn't.

I agree that players should have more position specific ratings. How does EA rate man coverage and zone coverage for qbs?
Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #21
Black Mamba

Shadymamba's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopizzle34
its weird how current gen had every feature u wanted except graphics.

-it had better player edit,where u could change shoe and tape color
-had custom playbooks,and custom hot routes,where u could add play formations to make ur own playbook and choose ur hot routes
-setting prices and making money in franchise,and created a free agent
-defensive assignments and individual defender hot touting
-formation shifts
-team newspaper article
-super bowl celebrations,team end zones

man i can go all day.Madden disappoints me so much on NG,but boy does it look good on a flat screen in HD.
And you know what plays a key role in the current gen being so much better when it comes to all of this bro "competition" since EA has no competition they will give us a very good game....not a great game because the football fan has nothing else to buy..sure they can buy All-Pro, but many of us like to control our favorite teams...and make moves and do things you criticized your favorite team for doing in real life...and you can only get that with Madden because of the rights so yet..will they add all this stuff..im sure they can..but i bet you they will do it slowely..year by year why..because if you put all this in one game..then there is nothing to make next year..or the next year..like i said its a very good game, but i dont think it will ever reach great because of some of the things i mentioned above.
CFB: Oregon Ducks '10

I HATE TO LOSE MORE THAN I LOVE TO WIN
--------------------------------------------------
Twitter: Rileyfcol
PSN: Doc_Hollladay
Instagram:7_wolfe
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 5

Listen: I’ve seen people blame EA for being scared of the competition and “buying” out the NFL license. It’s well known that EA simply acted on an offer extended by the NFL to become the sole developer of its likeness. And while I have accepted this, I really wish Tiburon did more than rehash a title with so many flaws. I am aware of business and I know there must be some people at EA who are saying, “Hey Madden is selling well and making a ton of money, don’t fix it if they’re buying it because it must not be broken.” That just isn’t the case. Here are some things I would love to see in Madden – that aren’t over the top or incredibly hard to implement.

Emersion / Presentation: This is has been beat to death and I’ve seen more people request this than anything else over-all in Madden. Yes Ian and crew, it means that much to us “sim” guys. There is a reason NBA 2K is a superior to NBA Live (this isn’t 2k vs. EA either), it’s the emersion factor. I want to be able to be hyped up for my upcoming game from beginning to the climactic end. Here are things I think should be improved or added.

Before the Game (* = already in game) (- = new feature)>>

* I love the showing of the outside of the stadium, this is a great addition and it should remain.

- Show players warming up on the field for a while as the commentators welcome us to this big game brought to us by EA SPORTS (since I know you guys love promoting yourselves lol). Next have the commentators talk about the “weapons” on each specific team. If T.O. is the “showcased” player for one team, have the camera pan to him while he is warming up catching balls. If the Opposing team is… say the Raiders have the camera split to DeAngelo Hall with the announcers saying “Hall will be faced with a big task in trying to contain Owens” or something of that nature. Things like this make the rivalry seem real and DEFINATLY adds to the total over-all experience of the game.

- Show players (team captains) on the field for the coin toss. Have there voices say “Heads or Tails” when selected by the player.

During the Game
  • * Close up of coaches during interceptions or key players or randomly, this is already in the game but it is INCREDIBLY cartoony. They way it looks now coaches have a mean face and strut the side lines (with paper thin players behind them) very very very very fast. If you guys could have the coach looking maybe worried or upset or shaking his head, this would be a lot more realistic. Maybe have him holding the play call sheet in front of his mouth. Anything but the cartoony stuff.
  • - Interactive sideline players (see All Pro Football 2k8) running into them, they’ll stop the player… move out the way, react to good plays, bad plays etc. Its incredible attention to detail and it adds to the emersion of the game.
  • - THE CROWD. For the love of all that is holy, fix this as soon as possible. The crowd should play a large factor in a players experience. There’s nothing like watching a game live and when a ball is put in the air, hearing the crowd grow in anticipation and erupt if the ball is caught or let out a collective sigh if not. Or if it’s the fourth quarter and your team is up by three and the opposing defense is marching downfield, the crowd goes nuts and towels are swinging.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #23
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22

Well this thread has made my mind up. I will not be buying this game this year either. I borrowed o9 from my friend and I played it for a limited amount of time. The game looked good but it just did not have any atmosphere, and felt dull. Just for kicks I went and picked up NCAA and Madden 08 for current gen just to see the features that were left out, and it is amazing. There is so much depth in both games. The only thing that was lacking is the visuals, I am going to get me some HD cables for the xbox and see how it looks.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #24
Rookie

I agree with your criticism, this is 2008 Madden should be making great games now!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »