Home

Madden misses the mark again, constructive criticism attached

This is a discussion on Madden misses the mark again, constructive criticism attached within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Madden misses the mark again, constructive criticism attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpac
Emersion / Presentation: This is has been beat to death and I’ve seen more people request this than anything else over-all in Madden. Yes Ian and crew, it means that much to us “sim” guys. There is a reason NBA 2K is a superior to NBA Live (this isn’t 2k vs. EA either), it’s the emersion factor. I want to be able to be hyped up for my upcoming game from beginning to the climactic end. Here are things I think should be improved or added.

Before the Game (* = already in game) (- = new feature)>>

* I love the showing of the outside of the stadium, this is a great addition and it should remain.

- Show players warming up on the field for a while as the commentators welcome us to this big game brought to us by EA SPORTS (since I know you guys love promoting yourselves lol). Next have the commentators talk about the “weapons” on each specific team. If T.O. is the “showcased” player for one team, have the camera pan to him while he is warming up catching balls. If the Opposing team is… say the Raiders have the camera split to DeAngelo Hall with the announcers saying “Hall will be faced with a big task in trying to contain Owens” or something of that nature. Things like this make the rivalry seem real and DEFINATLY adds to the total over-all experience of the game.

- Show players (team captains) on the field for the coin toss. Have there voices say “Heads or Tails” when selected by the player.

During the Game
  • * Close up of coaches during interceptions or key players or randomly, this is already in the game but it is INCREDIBLY cartoony. They way it looks now coaches have a mean face and strut the side lines (with paper thin players behind them) very very very very fast. If you guys could have the coach looking maybe worried or upset or shaking his head, this would be a lot more realistic. Maybe have him holding the play call sheet in front of his mouth. Anything but the cartoony stuff.
  • - Interactive sideline players (see All Pro Football 2k8) running into them, they’ll stop the player… move out the way, react to good plays, bad plays etc. Its incredible attention to detail and it adds to the emersion of the game.
  • - THE CROWD. For the love of all that is holy, fix this as soon as possible. The crowd should play a large factor in a players experience. There’s nothing like watching a game live and when a ball is put in the air, hearing the crowd grow in anticipation and erupt if the ball is caught or let out a collective sigh if not. Or if it’s the fourth quarter and your team is up by three and the opposing defense is marching downfield, the crowd goes nuts and towels are swinging.
Oh wow...you just described NFL 2k5 to a tee!

That is what has frustrated me the most about Madden. They are celebrating 20 years of this product, and yet with several seasons of versions out for next-gen systems, they are still missing key elements that were part of last-gen's BEST EVER football game. 2k5 had a HUGE player base, and it was NOT because of gameplay. Take Two is notorious for buggy and unplayable Franchise/Dynasty modes. But the things Jetpac pointed out, the little things that make one feel like they are EXPERIENCING a football game, not just playing a video game, were what set 2k5 apart from everyone, including Madden. Why can't EA see this?
College Hoops 2k8: Duke, Winston-Salem State

Last edited by Starbase503; 08-27-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2008, 02:47 AM   #66
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Madden misses the mark again, constructive criticism attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpac
Listen: I’ve seen people blame EA for being scared of the competition and “buying” out the NFL license. It’s well known that EA simply acted on an offer extended by the NFL to become the sole developer of its likeness. And while I have accepted this, I really wish Tiburon did more than rehash a title with so many flaws. I am aware of business and I know there must be some people at EA who are saying, “Hey Madden is selling well and making a ton of money, don’t fix it if they’re buying it because it must not be broken.” That just isn’t the case. Here are some things I would love to see in Madden – that aren’t over the top or incredibly hard to implement.

Emersion / Presentation: This is has been beat to death and I’ve seen more people request this than anything else over-all in Madden. Yes Ian and crew, it means that much to us “sim” guys. There is a reason NBA 2K is a superior to NBA Live (this isn’t 2k vs. EA either), it’s the emersion factor. I want to be able to be hyped up for my upcoming game from beginning to the climactic end. Here are things I think should be improved or added.

Before the Game (* = already in game) (- = new feature)>>

* I love the showing of the outside of the stadium, this is a great addition and it should remain.

- Show players warming up on the field for a while as the commentators welcome us to this big game brought to us by EA SPORTS (since I know you guys love promoting yourselves lol). Next have the commentators talk about the “weapons” on each specific team. If T.O. is the “showcased” player for one team, have the camera pan to him while he is warming up catching balls. If the Opposing team is… say the Raiders have the camera split to DeAngelo Hall with the announcers saying “Hall will be faced with a big task in trying to contain Owens” or something of that nature. Things like this make the rivalry seem real and DEFINATLY adds to the total over-all experience of the game.

- Show players (team captains) on the field for the coin toss. Have there voices say “Heads or Tails” when selected by the player.

During the Game
  • * Close up of coaches during interceptions or key players or randomly, this is already in the game but it is INCREDIBLY cartoony. They way it looks now coaches have a mean face and strut the side lines (with paper thin players behind them) very very very very fast. If you guys could have the coach looking maybe worried or upset or shaking his head, this would be a lot more realistic. Maybe have him holding the play call sheet in front of his mouth. Anything but the cartoony stuff.
  • - Interactive sideline players (see All Pro Football 2k8) running into them, they’ll stop the player… move out the way, react to good plays, bad plays etc. Its incredible attention to detail and it adds to the emersion of the game.
  • - THE CROWD. For the love of all that is holy, fix this as soon as possible. The crowd should play a large factor in a players experience. There’s nothing like watching a game live and when a ball is put in the air, hearing the crowd grow in anticipation and erupt if the ball is caught or let out a collective sigh if not. Or if it’s the fourth quarter and your team is up by three and the opposing defense is marching downfield, the crowd goes nuts and towels are swinging.
Great post. I have to get 2k5 again. I totally understand about the crowd. I was playing the bears v. chiefs at soldier field. close game-bears winning with little time left. chiefs got first and goal and the soldier field crowd went.......nothin? Even after I was trying to pump up the crowd, it didn't get loud at all. I was like wtf?!? It's certain things like that that's missing from madden that make people really remember how good 2k5 was. It's the little things. And I'm already tired of watching cpu qb's, when a good pass rush is coming, making these off the backfoot or jumping throws that end up perfectly in the receivers hands, and I'm talking about non mobile qb's(Think Damon Huard y'all). Now, I'm not going to kill the game, because it's easy to see (with Peter Moore in charge of EA Sports) improvement in this year's game. I just hope that one of two things happen:

1. That guys like Ian who come here frequently try to get these things implemented-or:
2. IF EA buys VC, instead of dismantling them, let them do some things with the presentation and gameplay. Don't let them go to waste.

I hope that with helpful and really thought out post, the guys from EA that come here really start to make something great to happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »