Home

RUNNING GAME DISCOVERY (using sprint)

This is a discussion on RUNNING GAME DISCOVERY (using sprint) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Icon4 RUNNING GAME DISCOVERY (using sprint)

Well as we all well know, as soon as you touch the sprint button, the defense goes all "!@#$% KILL HIM!" I've found a way to use their aggressiveness to your advantage to open up some extra space... using the sprint button.

First off, here are a few tips I use in the run game:

1. If your line opens up a gaping hole, obviously take it, but don't sprint until you're past the the D-Line.
2. Watch the Linebackers.
3. Try and do the above two things at the same time.
4. If you use weapons, Brickwall defenders are trouble. Try and run away from them.

Contrary to popular belief, sprint button is your friend
I made this discovery while in practice mode yesterday. I'll try to explain it best I can.

Using the left stick to make cuts while pumping Sprint a couple times is a really effective juke for opening up some space to run.

Ex. HB Iso right side: On the handoff, there isn't a big hole.... so I move the left stick to the left and hit sprint (personally i pull the trigger repeatedly), the quickly move the LS to the right and hold sprint. It looks like the RB does a nice little hesitation move in the back field. I call these "sprint jukes"

These sprint jukes can cause the defense to change their angle of pursuit, which can lead to your blockers helping you out even more.

Ex. HB Stretch to the right right.Linebackers begin to flow right as the play develops, I sprint juke left, then take off to the right side. The defense changed their angle, as a result it helped my blocking, and I ripped off a nice gain.

I personally have never seen the CPU miss a hit stick tackle before. Well, using sprint jukes, I have seen linebackers such as Urlacher and Merriman miss me trying to use a hit stick tackle. That's an awesome feeling imo.

And no, this isn't a money play or exploit. You don't bust a touchdown run every time. But this does realistically open some space to run.

Leave some feedback.

Last edited by Dan917; 08-27-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: RUNNING GAME DISCOVERY (using sprint)

I'll try this, it sounds realistic though if true. Like when the rb is doing a stretch play, he'll move with his head on a swivel, waiting for his blocks to develop and then cut and burst through an opening quickly.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
MVP

erickonasis's Arena

OVR: 12

hmm so we should keep tapping the the spring wile juking?
Old 08-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Pretty much. It confuses defenders. And the juking is done with the left stick. (hard left and right + tapping sprint)

Last edited by Dan917; 08-27-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
Pro

utorde's Arena

OVR: 12

Nice find if this really works. Guess i'll be spending some time in Practice, I assume this would take a bit to learn properly and be effective with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan917
Well as we all well know, as soon as you touch the sprint button, the defense goes all "!@#$% KILL HIM!" I've found a way to use their aggressiveness to your advantage to open up some extra space... using the sprint button.

First off, here are a few tips I use in the run game:

1. If your line opens up a gaping hole, obviously take it, but don't sprint until you're past the the D-Line.
2. Watch the Linebackers.
3. Try and do the above two things at the same time.
4. If you use weapons, Brickwall defenders are trouble. Try and run away from them.

Contrary to popular belief, sprint button is your friend
I made this discovery while in practice mode yesterday. I'll try to explain it best I can.

Using the left stick to make cuts while pumping Sprint a couple times is a really effective juke for opening up some space to run.

Ex. HB Iso right side: On the handoff, there isn't a big hole.... so I move the left stick to the left and hit sprint (personally i pull the trigger repeatedly), the quickly move the LS to the right and hold sprint. It looks like the RB does a nice little hesitation move in the back field. I call these "sprint jukes"

These sprint jukes can cause the defense to change their angle of pursuit, which can lead to your blockers helping you out even more.

Ex. HB Stretch to the right right.Linebackers begin to flow right as the play develops, I sprint juke left, then take off to the right side. The defense changed their angle, as a result it helped my blocking, and I ripped off a nice gain.

I personally have never seen the CPU miss a hit stick tackle before. Well, using sprint jukes, I have seen linebackers such as Urlacher and Merriman miss me trying to use a hit stick tackle. That's an awesome feeling imo.

And no, this isn't a money play or exploit. You don't bust a touchdown run every time. But this does realistically open some space to run.

Leave some feedback.
Sounds like a pretty good, realistic approach to running actually. Good find
Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Sounds interesting. I'll give it some time in practice mode.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #8
Pro

Ankido's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
which can lead to your blockers helping you out even more
That's when I decided I would stop reading. The problem with the game is that your blockers are oblivious to blocking. When you have the right outside tackle on a HB toss to the right run across the left side of the field to make a block, that's when you know to stop figuring a way to run.

I've been doing pump sprints for years. I hardly use the right analog stick to juke the left stick works fine. I always sprint if there's no defender on me. Sorry to ruin it for you man, there's no real way of running the football. This is a coding issue that needs to be addressed by EA themselves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »