Home

Ian asked "what you all think are the most high priority issues...

This is a discussion on Ian asked "what you all think are the most high priority issues... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Ian asked "what you all think are the most high priority issues...

Taz you covered some of the stuff I post on page 2 of this thread regarding what would make it great. I agree completely with your post.

EA really needs to stop, take a few steps back...watch a few real NFL games..watch how the NFL Network is done, ESPN Sportscenter is done, watch how the commentary is, the injuries, the chain gang, the crowds, the sidelines,.... I could go on forever.

Also it's not even about making the 2k fans happy...it's about making a REALISTIC football game. Not adding Backtrack, Rewind, Madden IQ, and all that stuff.

It's about adding progression, presentation with ESPN or NFL Network, injuries more interactive, sidelines and crowds actually react SMARTLY to big plays, BETTER ANIMATIONS...everything.

They also need to put franchise mode back the way it was where it was more Owner mode which changing EVERYTHING...ticket prices, concessions, parking, advertising, everything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Too many to list in one post, but...

1. Why is it so hard to have good sideline recognition on receptions? (see 2k).

2. presentation, presentation, presentation - if you are going to gobble up the ESPN license for all eternity at least use it, or maybe even NFL network? (again, see 2k)

3. Get the online leagues right! Come on! You have the exclusive NFL license and you don't allow us to play a real 16 game NFL season? There are no integrated web pages showing all of my teams stats or a recap of the game? I can't see the stats of other games in my league? (once again, see 2k)

4. Passing - where do I start? It's impossible to complete a pass over the middle against a soft zone because you can't throw a pass over the LBs but underneath the safety who is over the top. Either a rocket or a ridiculous lob. By the time the lob comes down, all 11 defenders are underneath the ball waiting for it. If you throw a bullet pass, it's intercepted by the Michael Jordan-esque jumping LB. Another issue is that there are no real incomplete passes. Either it's intercepted or caught, or dropped. Watch a real NFL game... QBs miss open receivers, they overthrow them, underthrow them, throw wide, etc, etc. The ball is allowed to hit the ground.

5. QBs - I find it ridiculous that I am chasing Vince Young out of the pocket and have him surrounded only for him to magically throw the ball like a rocket while he is running backwards perfectly to an open receiver 20 yards down field. Ummm, that's ridiculous... (once again - see 2k).

6. Penalties - This is just plain awful. First off, you don't even have ALL of the real NFL penalties in the game. (see 2k again). When my opponent calls a screen play and his lineman is 20 yards downfield but my qb didn't get rid of the ball, I expect to see ineligible man downfield called. (as it is in 2k). How about hitting the receiver outside 5 yards? It's called Illegal Contact. (See 2k again).

7. Injuries - Every injury is awful. Whether the guy has a dislocated shoulder or turf toe, he rolls around on the ground by himself. That's really sad. The injury should be different severities, players should help him up, announcers should comment, if it is a serious injury, he should be carted off by the training staff.

Madden 09 is a decent game, and I certainly like Ian's attitiude about wanting to make it great. However, in order to gain the support of the 2k fans, you need to AT LEAST have what a 5 year old game had on an old gen console.

AMEN
Old 08-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #27
Pro

JBucc's Arena

OVR: 8

-Fix the oline and dline. Better interaction and AI. Enough with the two guys meet and stand there locked crap. Have players actually struggle to get by or stop the other guy. Give us back all our moves on the d-line, each move with it's own button. Great D-linemen should command double teams, have proper gap assignments, no more ignoring the guy in front of you to block a safety 20 yards downfield, etc. ELIMINATE suction blocking once and for all.

-Players and teams need to feel and play like they do in real life, through ratings, tendencies, and personal animations. Throwing motions, running animations, celebrations. Each coach should have a gameplan and playcalling tendencies that his team reflects. The ratings need to be expanded, and I think having the system affect the rating like Head Coach would be good.

-Presentation and Atmosphere. It's been said time and time again, playing a game just feels boring. Especially when there is no difference between a pre-season game and the Super Bowl.

-Franchise needs to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up, with the HC guys coming over I hope this will be done.

-Superstar mode, either make it worthwhile or get rid of it and free up some disk space.

-Animations animaitons animations. Add as many of them as you possibly can, and get rid of some of the bad ones that Madden has had for years, like the wwe tackles and goofy spin catches that defy physics. Get rid of warping animaitons and slow down all the animations so they don't look so unnatural.

Most importantly for this year please just focus on the football. No gimmicky crap that's supposed to expand the audience and increase sales at the expense of the fans you already have.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #28
Pro

Ok here goes.

#1 that will fix most of the problems is Offensive defensive line interaction.

If there is the establishing of a pocket you will fix part of the defenses problems.

#2 NEW (unseen) feature: Defensive cone vision. This would be a huge upgrade for both offense and defense. The better the awareness the better the cone. So lets say you are running a route and a defender is looking the other way, he should not be able to react to that pass if the ball is thrown outside of his cone's view.

#3 no more knockdown checks, only catch checks and only when the ball makes contact with the hand not before. If a players hand comes in contact with the ball then there should only be the ball reacting to the hand there and either going down or change in trajectory. The only way a catch can occur is when the ball is physically in contact with the hand. NO MORE MORPHING BALL THROUGH THE PLAYERS HANDS. Please, I beg you, stop doing the check before the ball gets there.

#4 Somehow fix if I am running the ball up the middle and get hit from behind, I should not blow away 5 people on the way down. This makes me almost hope that if I get hit behind the line at the 1 to get hit from behind because its almost money every time for a TD.

oh yeah and all of this will be pointless if the draft AI is not fixed. Online would be fine but franchisers would be pissed! (ala ME!!)

Last edited by lint; 08-30-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: forgot something important
Old 08-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #29
Pro

DereckM's Arena

I think the Truck stick should be removed or at least toned down alot. There are really not that many trucks or run over missed tackles in the NFL. Madden has too many Broken tackles this way.

Most broken tackles are from arm grabs that dont wrap up. Or from stiff arm or jukes. Not really from just head to head running someone over. Look at a few AP or LT runs.

Also I think acc and speed needs to play a bigger part in the game. What makes AP and LT stand out is the fact that they have great acceleration and speed. Again look at some of the biggest run and pass plays from last year and it will show acc and speed are the greatest factors.

Last edited by DereckM; 08-30-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #30
Rookie

mightyrx's Arena

OVR: 3

Please either switch to dedicated servers or fix the ones you currently have because with the lag it's difficult to play def, run the ball and throw the ball on time.

Put a 45 yd cap on how far QBs can throw the ball while running to throwing hand side, 30 yd cap if non throwing hand side.
It would be a radius from launch point.
Reward those who stay in the pocket to read/throw by maxing out every pass they are able to step into, according to attributes.
Dock a percentage(from thp and tha) to those who decide to throw out of the pocket, according to awareness(The higher awr is, the less percentage lost)
Throwing without setting your feet should result in passes that lack zip and accuracy.
Allow QBs to throw while being hit.
Integrate a Qb evade system like in 2k and PS2 madden 09

That is all. For now...
Making up Evidence Depending on Information Available
Old 08-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #31
Pro

mrsinister11******** type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2038578014", true);
Rookie

Comments: 9
Votes: 0

Re: True Next Gen Sliders...

All sliders will be for both cpu and user unless otherwise noted.

QB ACCURACY (rather then one slider for this i think there should
be three sub-sliders)

-QB SHORT RANGE ACCURACRY (0 to 10 yards)
-QB MEDIUM RANGE ACCURACY (11 to 20 yards)
-QB LONG RANGE ACCURACY (21 + yards)

(just one global accuracy slider isn't enough in my opinion, if a quarterback can pretty much pinpoint a ball at will on a 7 yard out it doesn't mean he can throw the most accurate deep ball ever, and there should be a way to differentiate)

(this slider should definitely get you over/under throws as well as "lame ducks" escpecially on the deep balls)

-QB THROWING POWER

(now this is a slider that in a normal game would pretty much be left at 50 for a sim player, so that the ratings could actually kick in. for example a player like favre could throw the ball way deeper than a player like pennington due to their ratings alone, however the more customization the better, and also if the guys making the game screw up how good the ratings actually work out of the box (which is usually the case), then we can fine tune it to our likings)

-QB AWARENESS

(this slider is basically for computer only, because your awareness in my opinion should be based on your awareness if you are controlling the quarterback, however, sometimes on offense i like controlling the reciever, so a human awareness slider would still be necessary when we don't control the qb.)

(how i see this slider working is basically the computers ability to find the open reciever. set at 0 the qb will pretty much look at his primary reciever whether he's double covered or wide open on every play, and set on 100, no matter what reciever it is, be it 3rd, 4th, whatever option, whichever one gets open, he's gonna throw that guy the ball. once again, set at 50 brady should pretty much be able to find the open guy every time, and that brand new 6th round backup rookie the cpu has that's forced to play due to injury isn't going to be much of a threat to find the open reciever if its not his first or second option.)

(also, the computers ability to recognize what defense you are in should be tied to this slider and maybe your own. apf 2k8 had that sometimes you could see the defenses play, which i think is a step in the right direction, but not the best way this slider would be used for the user,

but in regards to the cpu brady and manning should pretty much have an idea what is coming at them and know for the most part whether or not they should audible at any given time and to what play. likewise a younger guy with not much "awareness" may actually audible into a terrible play, t.j. rubley anyone?)

- QB POCKET PRESENCE

(again, cpu only for the most part, it should be up to you when to take a sack, get out of the pockt, scramble, throw the ball away, etc. if you are controlling the qb but this would be important for the cpu qb.)

(for the cpu this would be the ability to "sense" ruhers coming and either get rid of the ball or get out of the pocket. think tom brady once again, not the most mobile qb ever, in fact one of the worst in terms of speed, but his pocket presence is fantastic, he is very elusive in the pocket, can basically see in the back of his head when rushers are coming after him.

for guys like vince young this is the gauge for when they should tuck it and run. somebody like young feels the pocket collapsing and tucks it and runs for 25 yards on you. manning feels it collapsing and fires a strike for a td on you. and that poor 6th round rookie once again, doesn't really feel it collapsing, until the DT collapses on top of him. lol

how many times have you played a madden where the cpu controls a mobile qb. he eludes the initial rush and just stands there at the line of scrimmage waiting for someone to get open? yeah, this slider would definitely fix that, young should be burning you for 25 on plays like that, not standing there waiting to throw a pick. lol (which he probably will)

ok that's all i really got for qbs right now i will be back with more later.

i know some of you aren't the biggest sim players ever, or even if you are don't care too much for sliders, but there is no way a game with this level of customization could actually be a bad thing.

i'd like to get some of your guys thoughts (escpecially the guys that need sliders as bad as i do) on these sliders as well as ones you'd like to see, i know some producers come on the site, so lets get a good list going, you never know what could be implemented in future games.

also this is not at all out of the realm of possibility for a next gen game, just go look at the mlb 2k8's slider list. with the right tuning in turns it into an amazing game of baseball.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #32
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Please use the official Madden 2010 wishlist thread stickied at the top of the forum.
Thanks

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »