Home

EA/Madden must decide...

This is a discussion on EA/Madden must decide... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: EA/Madden must decide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcq71
EA advertises If its in the game , Its in the game.Backbreaker please release your game
Backbreaker Dev team already admitted it's not going after the sim crowd. That game will be closer to Blitz than Madden or APF. People got so jazzed about the physics engine and just assumed backbreaker was going to be an all-out sim extravaganza. That's not the reality, however.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #50
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Backbreaker Dev team already admitted it's not going after the sim crowd. That game will be closer to Blitz than Madden or APF. People got so jazzed about the physics engine and just assumed backbreaker was going to be an all-out sim extravaganza. That's not the reality, however.

I honestly feel that, even though developers are going for a more arcade style, that it will end up being MORE sim then Madden. Why? Because of the physics, we will see a pocket, better D-line and O-line interaction, better wide receiver and corner interaction, and of course better tackling. As long as we have sliders and hopefully speed settings, there will be a way. I'm tired of magnetic blocking, jet packing, and horrible branching animations..
Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #51
Banned

OVR: 17

We'll see. But I don't think the physics engine will dictate how the guys in the trenches interact with eachother. I believe that kind of behaviour still must be programmed. The physics engine is seperate from the AI programming I think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #52
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
We'll see. But I don't think the physics engine will dictate how the guys in the trenches interact with eachother. I believe that kind of behaviour still must be programmed. The physics engine is seperate from the AI programming I think.
http://www.naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm

That should give you a good idea of what the euphoria engine will provide, and how the physics will dictate AI.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 34

I have never, nor will I ever expect Madden to play "Sim" ball, because the people who care about these type of things make up maybe 2% of all gamers.

What they'll do, is continue to feed the "sim" crowd just enough bones to not alienate all of them completely.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
The irony of this topic and some of the responses is that EA (as some have pointed out) doesn't have to do anything. in fact, if they move too far one way or another, they actually stand to lose money. The simple fact is that Madden is it's own brand of football. It actually does an excellent job of straddling the line between arcade and sim. This is what infuriates so many hardcore "sim" gamers and I'm sure there are even more arcade fans who think it's too complex.

I think what the smart compromise from EA would be is to offer more user control (in terms of in depth sliders and toggles for more features) and hope gamers can generate their own experience more effectively. I'm somewhat hopeful that if Ian and co. can get the CPU sliders in (assuming they are more effective than in years past) Madden 09 will be capable of playing a great sim game of football. Personally, I think the 2 player experience is already good enough to be what you make of it, and the AI for 1 player games is an accurate QB and a few defensive oddities from being great as well. The point is that Madden is close to becoming a solid sim experience if you can tune it to be so...the foundation seems to finally be there.

As for the "EA hogging the NFL" type arguments, it's really just more irony. Blame the league you love so much. It's not as if EA went crawling to the NFL begging for the exclusive license. It was offered, EA took it...as any company in that position would have. The fact, sad as it may be for some, is that the NFL (including a fair share of it's players) think Madden is mostly doing fine. Beleive it or not, we are in the minority here folks. Be glad Ian (and any other devs for that matter) are paying us this kind of attention
I respectfully disagree with you on this one. I not sure of the source (OS or Joystiq) but there are believed to be rumors that EA was pitching the exclusive license idea to the NFL for years until 2k5 was made. I need to find the article, it was an interesting read.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by nousername
I agree 100% with what you said about BackTrack, Rewind, etc...they talk about time being a factor with this game...well, if they stopped wasting time on BS, "new features", they would have plenty of time.
It's fairly fashionable to beat up on Backtrack but I can tell you it's made the game immensely more playable for me to enjoy with my niece and nephew so they can use it when they do stupid things and I can help teach them the game. Guess what, that's the exact intent I believe it was made for and it serves it's purpose well.

So just because YOU think something is stupid don't mean everyone else share's your opinion that it was a waste of time to add it.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by black jedi
I respectfully disagree with you on this one. I not sure of the source (OS or Joystiq) but there are believed to be rumors that EA was pitching the exclusive license idea to the NFL for years until 2k5 was made. I need to find the article, it was an interesting read.
So what if they were, they could have refused it like the NHL and the NBA.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »