Home

EA/Madden must decide...

This is a discussion on EA/Madden must decide... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
EA/Madden must decide...

...is this an Arcade or Sim game. Because it is clear to me that they want to appeal to both groups (obviously this is EA) but the game while certainly successful from a marketing position, clearly falters in a number of areas from both a simulation and arcade perspective.

If you want to cater to the "madden tourney" group and the hype and media that comes from NFL players playing 3 minute quarter turbo tourney games then scrap franchise, superstar and any other sim trappings and spend your resources on animations, graphics and gameplay.

If you want to be a simulation then add some depth, fix the AI (gameplay and GM logic), fix franchise and lets make this game much better than it is.

But think about it, this game cannot be coded to provide the best 3 min tourney games and then also be able to sim or cpu/cpu a "realistic" season or dynasty.

Madden needs to figure out what it needs to be and dedicate itself to being the best in that genre. I cannot help but to think that no competition for an NFL license any longer only hurts the consumer because we will buy madden no matter what they do with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: EA/Madden must decide...

1. Think the care?

2. You're 100% right in your thinking, think they care?

3. You/We're 100% the problem by supporting their games.

Solutions

1. Stop buying the new games.

2. Get a used XBox and NFL 2K5 and play sims...

3. Get previous Madden games used and play arcade style football...
Old 08-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77
2. Get a used XBox and NFL 2K5 and play sims...
NFL2k5 plays on the XBOX 360, and actually looks very good in High def
Old 08-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerrich
...is this an Arcade or Sim game. Because it is clear to me that they want to appeal to both groups (obviously this is EA) but the game while certainly successful from a marketing position, clearly falters in a number of areas from both a simulation and arcade perspective...

^^ I agree with this 100%...

I feel the solution would be the addition of effective sliders and on/off toggle options for EVERY SINGLE feature in the game. I wouldn't mind if EA had all the default settings cater to the n00bs so they can just stick the game in and go. But 'sim' means different things to different people, so give us experienced players the control back.

I'm just really hoping there's no more new fluff in 2010, like backtrack, rewind, fantasy football, etc... and the focus is on making sure the game plays properly without having to wait for patches and DLC.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 08-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
NFL2k5 plays on the XBOX 360, and actually looks very good in High def
Sweet... For a long time it wasn't... That's sweet news...

Not to high jack the thread, but are the rosters still good?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 4

Not only does it play on the 360, but you can update the rosters to THIS year, and have the franchise be as accurate as possible with the real NFL because of the fine folks at operation sports doing their modifications.

You need a HDD transfer cable, Xport or XSata to get the new rosters/franchise.

I'm still playing NFL 2k5 on my 360, and it's great.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Madden 09 is what you make of it. If you're a glitcher and cheeser you can find the glitches and cheese it up all you want. If your a sim player and you play sim ball and have friends that play sim ball as well then you're all set there as well.

All sports games have cheese/glitch plays, how you choose to play the game will determine what type of game it is.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Madden 09 is what you make of it. If you're a glitcher and cheeser you can find the glitches and cheese it up all you want. If your a sim player and you play sim ball and have friends that play sim ball as well then you're all set there as well.

All sports games have cheese/glitch plays, how you choose to play the game will determine what type of game it is.
It is not so much the gameplay for me - I think Madden strikes a decent balance although there is def room for improved AI, better animations and overall better logic.

What brings me down about Madden is the lack of decent user stats, an improved but still substandard presentation, real online leagues with all the trimmings and an overall lack of polish. It feels like a lot of the 'features' where tossed in and never even given a second look.

Yet when the devs talk it is all about time this and time that. Well, here is an idea - tell the marketing guys to work on marketing a game that plays great and stick the rest of the features up their arse.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »