Home

weird player numbers

This is a discussion on weird player numbers within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Icon11 weird player numbers

I figured out that since the Jets signed Tight End Tony Gonzalez in FA in my franchise he wears No. 2 for them. WTF? He is a TE and wears No. 2 ?!

I am not able to change his number since I don't own that team. I can only trade for him.

But it sucks to see him play against me sporting that number...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: weird player numbers

Quote:
In the NFL, numbering regulations state that tight ends must wear numbers 80-89, or when those are unavailable, 20-49.
I have not played NCAA 09 but possibly some code was reused from that game regarding player numbers?

Thats wacky.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

If #88 is already assigned, then naturally another number will be assigned to TG when he is signed...previous years in Madden positions were assigned specific numbers and you or CPU could not assign just any number....that has changed since 07 which is frustrating...I suggest trading for him , change his number, trade him back to KC where he will play out his career in reality
Old 08-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceguy
If #88 is already assigned, then naturally another number will be assigned to TG when he is signed...previous years in Madden positions were assigned specific numbers and you or CPU could not assign just any number....that has changed since 07 which is frustrating...I suggest trading for him , change his number, trade him back to KC where he will play out his career in reality
LOL that way I would probably lose a 2nd round pick and would only get a 3rd or 4th in return
Old 08-31-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

This also irritates the crap out of me! I rember in past maddens they had they system correct but recently they just dont care about it. I wish i would of mentioned this before patch 2 got finalized but hopefully they will be able to fix this in another patch or the DLC, it cant be that hard to fix. Here is everything explained...

All players must wear numerals on their jerseys in accordance with Rule 5, Section 3, Article 3c (see NOTE 1), and such numerals must be by playing position as follows: quarterbacks, punters, and placekickers, 1-19 (and 10-19 for wide receivers if 80-89 are all otherwise assigned); running backs and defensive backs, 20-49; centers, 50-59 (60-79 if 50-59 unavailable); offensive guards and tackles, 60-79; wide receivers and tight ends, 80-89; defensive lineman, 60-79 (90-99 if 60-79 unavailable); and linebackers 50-59 (90-99 if 50-59 unavailable).

If a player changes his position during his playing career in the NFL and such change moves him out of a category specified above, he must be issued an appropriate new jersey number.

Any request to wear a number for a special position not specified above (e.g., H-back) must be made to the Commissioner.

During the preseason period when rosters are larger, the League will allow duplication and other temporary deviations from the numbering scheme specified above, but the rule must be adhered to for all players during the regular season and postseason. Clubs must make numbers available to adhere to the rule, even if it requires putting back into circulation a number that has been retired or withheld for other reasons. See 7-2-3 for reporting change of position. (Note 2)

NOTES:

1. 5, 3, 3c has to do with the size and placement of the numerals
2. 7, 2, 3 rules regarding notifying the referee of eligibility if wearing and ineligible number for a position. Basically, any player wearing an eligible number at a pass receiving position (running backs, tight ends, and wide receivers) can play any eligible pass receiving position without reporting to the referee. That is, running backs can line up as wide receivers or tight ends, and players wearing wide receiver and/or tight end numbers can line up in the backfield without having to report to the referee.

In summary:

QB, P, K
1-19

RB, DB
20-49

C
50-59 Alternate : 60-79

G, T
60-79

WR
80-89 Alternate: 10-19

TE
80-89

DL (NT/DT/DE)
60-79 Alternate: 90-99

LB
50-59 Alternate: 90-99

Last edited by JayD; 08-31-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiA
I figured out that since the Jets signed Tight End Tony Gonzalez in FA in my franchise he wears No. 2 for them. WTF? He is a TE and wears No. 2 ?!

I am not able to change his number since I don't own that team. I can only trade for him.

But it sucks to see him play against me sporting that number...

Who really cares.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherone21
Who really cares.
I do!!
Old 08-31-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Pro

rynecandy's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiA
LOL that way I would probably lose a 2nd round pick and would only get a 3rd or 4th in return
Why would you lose draft picks? Your just trading in order to change jersey numbers and not trying to make a realistic trade. I'm sure if you are able to trade a player for someone (that you plan to edit), you would be able to do that same trade in reverse once you have finished making the necessary trade. The original players traded would end up to their original teams but with the edits of one player. Am I missing something?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »