Home

Last gen vs Next gen?

This is a discussion on Last gen vs Next gen? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #17
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Last gen vs Next gen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGROC
Did you change your avatar from the Luisville Cardinals after they got molested by Kentucky? That was the ugliest game in the Big East...and considering how poorly Rutgers played that's saying something!
it was ugly. Its even more ugly when your sitting in 100 degree weather in the stands. I changed it to show my displeasure for Kragthorpe.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
(p.s. for a noob, last gen is better, the run game on next gen is very difficult unless you use a team that has an amazing back)
Agreed. If you're new to the series, going last-gen for now is not a bad idea.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 6

I have the PS3 version, and I have The XBox1 version, and hands down the Xbox1 version is the winner this year, and here's why:

1) Commentary - I have always been of the belief that if its called "Madden" I should hear "Madden' from '06 when they took madden out of the booth in next gen I have been longing for his return, I had hoped that this year with the 20th anniv. and all he would be back, but alas he was not. But on Xbox1, you stilll get the 'Boom!!!", call me old fashioned but even though some people say their lines are played out, I'll take Madden & Michaels in the booth over Collingsworth & Mr. Monotone anyday.

2) Robo QB - This glitch just ruins the game, every QB makes mistakes at one time or another.

3) Game Engine & Gameplay - Now i know some will disagree, but while the last gen engine at its core is the same its been tweaked just right, this is the game we longed for after '04, the feel is tight and totally responsive to command, you definitely have more control of the players, I play on All-Madden no sliders adjusted (another point to like last gen-sliders-
just had to slip that in). The game is competitive & fun. Now, next engine is nice, breakaway and all but it still has a ways to go IMHO. Plus, the Vision Cone has finally been set to optional on All-Madden letting you get the best the game has to offer without this shackle (or if you like it you can cut it on, put the choice is yours)

4) Atmosphere - Now, while neither of these game is 2k5, last gen madden at least has an ebb and flow to the game, the crowd gets a little more intense on 3rd down, in the red zone, yes you still see the same crazy fans (or you can create your own) but that is better than the just plain generic fan animation in next-gen which to me just takes away from the game. Plus you see the coaches on the sideline and in the booth in last gen, I have only seen the coaches on the sideline in next gen when I have called a challenge.

5) Franchise - Its just plain better on last gen.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:31 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

I think Madden 09 is really good game. Compared to last gen, gameplay-wise, 09 surpasses it by miles, but the offline play hasn't really changed all that much.

I think what I miss most about last gen Madden was the franchise mode. With the radio guy Tony Bruno interviewing the players and coaches, the newspaper headlines, pricing, etc... I loved that stuff. For some reason they've completely ignored the franchise, and as online gaming becomes more popular, it might be abandoned as well.

To the next gen Maddens credit, the franchise is hands down better statistically. All your stats can be viewed from all the seasons you played. They even let you view statistics from seasons as far as 1990, so that's pretty good.

BRING BACK THE OLD FRANCHISE AND I'LL BE HAPPY!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:58 AM   #21
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

I have Madden'09 on the 360, Madden'09 on the PS2, and NFL HeadCoach'09...In my opinion, last-gen Madden'09 is still the best all-around football game.

Madden'09 on the 360 is good on the field with great animations and graphics...but it has a subpar franchise mode; gamekiller for me.

HeadCoach has the best franchise mode I've ever played in any game period...but since it's gameplay is rooted in the Madden'08 engine, it has more then it's fair share of issues on-the-field.

Madden'09 on the PS2 has good gameplay and a good franchise mode...but despite it's well-roundedness I'm having a hard time going back to last-gen because I've "been there, done that"...

...So I'll just work with HeadCoach for the forseeable future because the pros (off the field) outweigh the cons (on the field) just enough for me to be content...
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

Last edited by DLaren; 09-03-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
I have Madden'09 on the 360, Madden'09 on the PS2, and NFL HeadCoach'09...In my opinion, last-gen Madden'09 is still the best all-around football game.

Madden'09 on the 360 is good on the field with great animations and graphics...but it has a subpar franchise mode; gamekiller for me.

HeadCoach has the best franchise mode I've ever played in any game period...but since it's gameplay is rooted in the Madden'08 engine, it has more then it's fair share of issues on-the-field.

Madden'09 on the PS2 has good gameplay and a good franchise mode...but despite it's well-roundedness I'm having a hard time going back to last-gen because I've "been there, done that"...

...So I'll just work with HeadCoach for the forseeable future because the pros (off the field) outweigh the cons (on the field) just enough for me to be content...
If you could even play the on field stuff with superficial controls I'd buy HC 09 and leave Madden be...The glaring lack of frachise depth in Madden really hurts after seeing what is included in HC...So I'll just play seasons with different teams. I can't take how bad the online leagues are set up either so it's kind of like being stuck, which sucks, but that's the way it goes.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 6

This next-gen Madden (this is my first year with the PS3 Madden, played Madden 08 on PS2) is quite different the first time you play it but after I've played it for over a week, this is a very refreshing and MUCH needed change. The game is much more challenging and providing me with realistic results that I didn't get with the PS2 Madden for years. Last-gen Madden was growing old as I went 15-1 or 14-2 every season on All-Madden, leading the league in TDs, having players with 25-30 sacks. Madden 09 on PS3 is giving me a challenge and it feels more like real football to me, last gen is arcade in comparison IMO. I have no desire to go back to the old engine.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:22 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

Not even close. Last gen felt like what a football game should feel like. This one feels like what a football game would feel like if it was released two years before it should have been. It's prettier, that's the only thing it has on last gen. Every other possible issue it's subpar. From responsiveness of controls, to all the glitches and bugs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »