Home

Last gen vs Next gen?

This is a discussion on Last gen vs Next gen? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 8
Icon5 Last gen vs Next gen?

So, last year many people thought that MAdden was better on th PS2/PC and that the next gen version wasn't on par with the old gen experience. (Graphics aside) The last gen verison were pretty much recommended to get last year.

How is it this year? Has next gen finally surpassed last gen?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Last gen vs Next gen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolus Rex
So, last year many people thought that MAdden was better on th PS2/PC and that the next gen version wasn't on par with the old gen experience. (Graphics aside) The last gen verison were pretty much recommended to get last year.

How is it this year? Has next gen finally surpassed last gen?
No. IMHO, '09 on next-gen--while improved from '08--still feels like a beta release. Too many issues and non-implemented gameplay features. To their credit, the 2nd patch (forthcoming) will improve many of these issues. Some, like questionable fatigue for example, are slated for "next year".

While I believe last-gen Madden still plays the better game of football, I will say that I got easily bored with it. It feels very stale if only because the gameplay doesn't feel different since it's (at its foundation) fundamentally been the same game for the past 9 years or so on that generation's consoles.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
While I believe last-gen Madden still plays the better game of football, I will say that I got easily bored with it. It feels very stale if only because the gameplay doesn't feel different since it's (at its foundation) fundamentally been the same game for the past 9 years or so on that generation's consoles.
But for someone relativley new to football, like me, the old-gen version is a better game?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

I think this is the year it surpassed last gen (barely). Madden 09 next gen isn't a great game, but it's good. That combined with PS2 09 feeling very stale leads to next gen finally taking the top prize. The break tackle engine is the one thing that keeps me from ever going back to PS2. I am real excited for the patch and am hoping that there may be some "Unmentioned Fixes" in there that takes this game from good to very good....

Saving "great" for Madden 2010

(p.s. for a noob, last gen is better, the run game on next gen is very difficult unless you use a team that has an amazing back)
Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

The answer now is no. After Patch Two and DLC CPU Sliders come out, maybe.

I played last gen at Wal-Mart in an NFL themed picnic set-up. Still the same which means it is still better than next gen in many areas. And, still the same means that you don't have to wait until several weeks after release for the game to have simple flaws fixed. They may not be gamebreakers but having to do a two controller work around for robo-QB or dealing with disconnect and other issues that will be fixed by patches gets annoying.

After a full day of play after borrowing the 360 game from a friend, it still has some issues despite its steps forward.

On a side note, many people want EA to do a two year development cycle. Maybe they can't, but I can. I don't plan on buying a game this year (unless the patches significantly improve the game) so maybe the leap between 08 and 10 will really impress me that way!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
(p.s. for a noob, last gen is better, the run game on next gen is very difficult unless you use a team that has an amazing back)
I am playing the Vikings and Adrian Peterson would qualify as a decent runningback wouldn't you say?

Anyway, I have 09 for 360 and find it ok. I am thinking of getting the Wii-version if it plays a better game of football and the new controls. Also might use it to lure my frinds into american football (not big here in Sweden)

Anyway, I just wanted to see what the general opinion was this year.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

Yeah, it's pretty easy to be effective with AP. And I have heard the Wii version is pretty fun. Maybe start them out with the 5 on 5 mode lol.

I have recently tried to indoctrinate a couple friends into madden and I went 1 out of 2. The first thing that helps is having someone who is open minded with a lot of time on their hands. It took a couple of days, but now my friend can call offenses and defenses, and even has some stick skills. I am pretty amazed because it took me about 2 or 3 years to get good because I didn't have anyone helping me.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 17

I'll take Madden 09 over any last gen football game (although 2K5 will always deserve its place in history).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »