Home

The un-official "Top 25 must-haves" list

This is a discussion on The un-official "Top 25 must-haves" list within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 31
Re: The un-official "Top 25 must-haves" list

My three Additions to the must haves....

1) Rosters ! Especially for the franchise mode.
Alot involved here, but it should only count as 1.
Off-season up to 75 players, cut down to 53 players, 8 man practice squad, an IR that represents the NFL's IR. And more flexible roster restrictions (can explain if needed)

2) In-game faces on players in there bio's, rosters, pop-ups. Would like them to be helmet-less, but if helmets are easier then so be it. 2009 had some nice in-game pop-ups return, with game stats, starting lineups....and after a few years into it, seeing all the blank silouttes is a little boring.

3) Create-a-Coach. The whole nine yards on this, basically let me create ME. Almost like create a player, not just pick a generic body model. Let me choose my Shirts, Hats, Headphones....all Team specific oriented.

Three things I would take off the list...

1) Custom Camera angles.....just not important to me, when we did have that option, I took stock Madden Cam anyway.

2) High-Light show...not important to me at all, I wanna see a replay of a simmed gamed, when I can be playing a game ? No thanks.

3) Make user Catching easier....

And a add-on to something listed....

Equipment... Please add multi-colored, team colors. Basically all teams have 2 colors, so lets say Miami for example....in GLOVES you would have TC1 and TC2.....TC1 being Aqua, TC2 being Orange. Can do the same for sleeves, wristbands etc.. etc..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #26
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

The list is excellent as is.

I'd say overall try to achieve a more organic feel in the gameplay. I still feel as if Madden in comparison with other recent sports games is behind in how significantly canned animations influence gameplay. I know efforts have been with the branching animation system, but it's still not there yet.

If you play EA's NHL series playing the game reminds me of when I played hockey, something about it just captures how hockey feels. I don't feel like Madden has captured that feel of football yet. I think that the things on that list like OL/DL revamp, WR/CB interactions, will all go a long way towards creating that authentic feel.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 09-04-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:23 AM   #27
EA Game Changer

OVR: 14

That list looks pretty spot on.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #28
Pro

OVR: 16

You combined 2 of my most favorite things. The Office and Madden.

Back on topic, Ian, your list was awesome. I think I only replaced two things, but I added a lot of expounding on your list items (my stuff in bold).

Presentation & Graphics
1. More real-life atmosphere & emotion: sidelines (example—Coaches and players running along the sideline on long plays); linjuries with trainers, chain gang measurements, referees, etc.
2. Make every game feel different: pre-game and post-game celebrations, blow out big games (i.e. pre-season should feel way different than the playoffs), better Super Bowl celebrations-stadium flyovers, incorporate NFL Films for the post-game highlight show; have players, coaches, and media people swarm the field after a Super Bowl win
3. Collinsworth = good, Hammond = not so much: Hammond comes across too robotic with too much stitching. He needs to be replaced or re-recorded. -Player-specific commentary (Have the commentators address every player by name. In 09, it sounds really weird to have them just say “This guy” or “This quarterback”, while only saying some players’ names. Please script each players’ name into the game if possible)
4. More animated gear: towels, handwarmers, chin straps, jersey pulling, helmets coming off on big hits or during OL/DL interaction
5. Degradation: sliding marks in the snow, better field degradation; also add fog back

Gameplay / Animation
1. Deliver a more compelling 1-player experience - fix CPU play -calling bugs, make them much better at running the ball, get rid of "robo-QB", have them adapt and change to match what you are running
2. More sliders and options - CPU sliders, game speed, fatigue, injuries, EVERYTHING
3. OL/DL re-vamp - Edge rushing, more double teams, more accurate chips, less "suction", true pocket forming
4. WR/DB re-vamp - More interaction downfield, better head tracking, only play the ball that you see
5. Signature styles & animations: Passing, running, kicking, etc
6. Much more animation variety: More tackles, catches (both one and two handed please), swats; replace animations that have been around for a long time
7. Gang tackles: More of them, make them better, add more players fumble pile-ons
8. New ratings, make existing ratings matter more: Along with making them more prevalent, also possibly expose what each one actually does. New QB ratings are highly requested
9. Re-vamp kicking: Universally agreed that it's too automatic and not very stressful.
10. Deeper challenge system- Ability to dictate what, exactly, is being challenged.

Game Modes
1. Online Franchise: Self Explanatory
2. Better / More Robust Franchise Progression: Self Explanatory
3. More Franchise features and new UI: General consensus is just to focus a bunch more time and add more new stuff that was similar to what was in legacy gen. The mode feels un-touched, and everyone wants a big update
4. Remove the fluff, focus on the core: Things like rings & trophies, agents & emails in superstar, and weekly training drills in Franchise aren't well liked and aren't heavily used by the community
5. Highlight Show in Franchise: Again the NFL Films idea

General
1. 100% perfect stability
2. Open (or closed) beta testing
3. Custom Cameras-possibly first-person as one option
4. Defensive Assignments
5. Don’t keep showing the "first down!", sack, field goal good/no good, etc. on jumbotron cutscenes. Put authentic real-time jumbotron animations and make on-field cutscenes such as players waiting in anticipation for the chain measurement, player celebrations for sacks, etc. Also, I think it would be cool to have a cutscene of the player who made the play look up at the jumbotron and have his perspective looking at the replay and then have the camera zoom in to the jumbotron and transition into the fullscreen replay. Also, have the players sometimes celebrating into the camera after TDs. That would be sweet.

Last edited by TDogg09; 09-04-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:55 AM   #29
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

Great list bro...If it all made it in then we would be looking at the best football game on the market. Like # 4 a ton..I know some can do without it but being able to cusomize your players with accessories (hand warmers, towels..etc.) That makes a difference to me anyway. So I would personally replace the " In Game Saves" as I like the feature but didn't have a huge use for it. I would replace that feature with a "Super Bowl History" feature. It was in one football game and it was awsome but to me it really added a ton to the feel of the game and the NFL.

This feature would have a list of all the Super Bowls where you could go in and see the score, some key stats, and of course view the Super Bowl MVP with trophy. Also this feature is one that you add on to as you go through your franchise. Every year a new piece of Super Bowl history is added for you to view and keep track of. Who wouldn't want to see there player holding the Super Bowl MVP trophy (cut scene or in game photo of that player with an NFL suit and coach) after the game with their Super Bowl t-shirt on and hat! This would add to the franchise big time IMO. Thats what I would add.

Last edited by cedwebb; 09-04-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:59 AM   #30
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

the list looks awesome! For now I'm sticking with NCAA and Head Coach, but Madden 10 might be the one we all been dying for. If most of that list can actually be implemented for next years game, I would be a happy camper
Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #31
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Ian...if your list was anything near what we'll see in next years game, I'd be beyond satisfied.

I think you've pretty much nailed it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 9

Defensive and Offensive Line interaction is THE most pressing need in Madden right now. I understand as the lead developer of one of the biggest games out there and as a regular human being you dont have time to do EVERYTHING and read EVERYTHING but please here us out here.

DEFENSIVE AND OFFENSIVE LINE INTERACTION!

That along with WR/DB Interaction and playing the ball when its in the air, but we need OL/DL first.

Thanx

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »