Home

It is a sad time for me...

This is a discussion on It is a sad time for me... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
It is a sad time for me...

For the first time in my video game football life I will not be buying NCAA Football OR Madden. I have bought every one since they have come out (dating all the way back to the Genesis days). I have played them religiously and as some of you may remember I even did rosters for many of the original XBOX NCAA Football games. I absolutely love(d) the series. Well, much like we all predicted this slew of football games over the past few years have been a huge disappointment. We (as gamers) were close to video game football nirvana with NFL 2K5 and Madden 2005 but all has been lost since then. Exclusive licenses have all but killed both football and baseball video games. There needs to be something done about this to bring the competition back. Video games get overlooked as far as monopolies go so I doubt we will have a renewed competition any time soon.

R.I.P. Madden... its been a fun ride but like many old veterans that hang around past their prime, you have done the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: It is a sad time for me...

*cries*

NFL 2k12??
Old 09-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Not to be rude (and certainly not to attempt to be a moderator), but how many threads do we see like this? I've seen numorous threads about how this is the first year someone won't be purchasing Madden. I understand the frustration, just not the timing. To me, and I realize all of these things are opinion, this is the most promising Madden has looked for years. I'm not questioning putting a hold on Madden purchases (I haven't bought Madden new on next gen until this year, and to be perfectly honest, I only bought the CE for Head Coach). I just don't understand how so many people wait until the year it finally seems to be turning a corner to call it quits. If you could plug through next gen 06, 07, and 08, I just don't see how 09 equals the end of your Madden "streak." I'm not saying you're wrong (who am I to dictate how others spend their money?), I just honestly don't understand the timing for some people.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Remember Franchise freezing last year? How could they seriously release a game this year with obviously exactly the same problems?

How this could pass beta testing is just beyond me...
Old 09-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 6

Just go out and get a life than, I cant even watch a full football game on tv but i love the games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by copecowboy
Just go out and get a life than, I cant even watch a full football game on tv but i love the games.

Which is PROBABLY why you are happy with Madden as it is......really!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Not to be rude (and certainly not to attempt to be a moderator), but how many threads do we see like this? I've seen numorous threads about how this is the first year someone won't be purchasing Madden. I understand the frustration, just not the timing. To me, and I realize all of these things are opinion, this is the most promising Madden has looked for years. I'm not questioning putting a hold on Madden purchases (I haven't bought Madden new on next gen until this year, and to be perfectly honest, I only bought the CE for Head Coach). I just don't understand how so many people wait until the year it finally seems to be turning a corner to call it quits. If you could plug through next gen 06, 07, and 08, I just don't see how 09 equals the end of your Madden "streak." I'm not saying you're wrong (who am I to dictate how others spend their money?), I just honestly don't understand the timing for some people.
I can see both sides on this, but I don't think we have been offered up anything that is honestly "promising" this year. There are a myriad of huge gameplay issues on both offense and defense, and the technical issues are glaring for the most part. Honestly, I think if the word Madden wasn't written on the front of the box, and across the disc, this would hit the bargain bin pretty quickly. The only reason there are so many people on this forum, and who buy the game is that this is the only option for a pro football game. I like APF 2k8, but nothing compares to taking the field using my Jets, and pounding on the Patsies or Phish...

There are things that are enjoyable, and it is a better than 08, but I wouldn't hold my breath thinking they will fix this years issues with patches completely, let alone what comes out next year...
Old 09-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGROC
I can see both sides on this, but I don't think we have been offered up anything that is honestly "promising" this year. There are a myriad of huge gameplay issues on both offense and defense, and the technical issues are glaring for the most part. Honestly, I think if the word Madden wasn't written on the front of the box, and across the disc, this would hit the bargain bin pretty quickly. The only reason there are so many people on this forum, and who buy the game is that this is the only option for a pro football game. I like APF 2k8, but nothing compares to taking the field using my Jets, and pounding on the Patsies or Phish...

There are things that are enjoyable, and it is a better than 08, but I wouldn't hold my breath thinking they will fix this years issues with patches completely, let alone what comes out next year...
I see your point, but when I speak of promise I mean the seemingly genuine effort to improve their product. 09, even without patches, plays better than any "next gen" release before it. This alone is not enough to be "promising, " as it should be the case regardless. The level of interaction and things addressed with the game ( to this point and what is hoped for the future) is where the promise, IMO, lies. There is a much clearer and tangible positive direction at this point than in the previous "next gen" iterations. I fully understand skepticism as I still won't be a day 1 purchaser for 2010, my amusement mainly lies with the timing. Why did 09 push some people like the OP over the edge where 07 or 08 didn't? That is my interest. I agree that patches won't fix everything, or for many even enough. Just the fact that there is so much interaction and so much being addressed by the dev team during the process has my interest piqued is all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »