Home

What's the dumbest thing you've done with the game on the line?

This is a discussion on What's the dumbest thing you've done with the game on the line? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #17
Rookie

larma's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: What's the dumbest thing you've done with the game on the line?

First online game, Jets vs Cowboys. I was leading 14-10 with 10 seconds left and was in the redzone. I decided to go for one last play since the clock would most likely run out. So Favre snaps the ball and throws it straight to Cowboys linebacker who ran it back for a TD.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

Mine actually happened in the college game, but it still haunts me. Notre Dame was up by 21 over Michigan at the half, but I brought the Wolverines back to within 7 with time running out in the fourth. I get a big interception and the DB returns the ball inside the five when he is hit, the ball pops loose and the Irish recover.

But two plays later, my weakside LB picks off a pass and outruns the pursuit for a game-tying touchdown. Less than two minutes to go now, and the Irish go 3-and-out to give me one more chance. I drive the Big Blue into field goal range, then into easy touchdown range, pushing the ball to the one with three seconds left.

Easy field goal for the win, right? Not so fast, my friend! Ball was on the right hash marks, so I needed to adjust the arrow first. So I nudged the stick, then realized (TOO LATE) that I had used the RIGHT stick, not the left, and I stared in horror as my kicker pooched the ball straight, well right of the near upright. I lost in double overtime.

To add salt to the wound, the game declared that as my #1 Greatest Game, recording it for eternity (why does it always seem to rank the games I lose?)
College Hoops 2k8: Duke, Winston-Salem State
Old 09-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
Rookie

TinMan37's Arena

OVR: 3

In the year 1 playoffs with the Cleveland Browns, I was put in a debacle facing the Patriots in a divisional playoff game.

Three straight drives, three straight pick 6's for Derek Anderson. I couldn't take it anymore, so I decided to take the risk of bringing in Brady Quinn, an unproven 2nd year player, to pick apart one of the league's best defenses down by 21.

He came in and had a shootout with the other Brady (Tom) throwing for 4 Td's and 350 yds through the air. With about a minute left in the game, and my brownies up by 6, the patriots held me to a 3 and out and I was forced to punt. Zastudil came in, and believe it or not, pinned the patriots inside the 2, for a possible 98 yard drive to send it into OT.

I lined up in the traditional 3-4, but decided to press cover randy moss on the outside with Eric Wright... First play, a slant route over the middle and Moss is gone 98 yards to take a one point lead. I then was able to drive down the field after a very great return by Josh Cribbs. With 3 seconds left on the clock, I brought Dawson on to try and win the game. Tom Hammond noted that, "these are the kinds of kicks that put you on the map." With palms sweating and my heart pounding I missed the field goal wide left and my season was over...

I am still mad to this day!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllStarmike2k5
there seems to be a problem with your story, its full of bull**** 2 incompletes makes it third down, you get sacked makes it 4th then you spiked the ball on 4th down...last time I checked that'd give them the ball unless of course you were playing as Colorado
Don't forget his first spike after the 30 yard completion. He actually had 6 downs lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydaman4

1st and 10
- throw a flat to westbrook and gained about a good 30 to get to midfield.

new 1st and 10 after 30 yard gain - called a no huddle to spike the ball.

2nd and 10 - try to throw it deep to kevin curtis, incomplete.

3rd and 10
- tried for another deep ball to kevin curtis, imcomplete.

4th and 10
- got sacked by osi trying to scramble around to find an open man

5th and say 13
- called a no hundle again with about 15 second left after the spike.

6th and 13
- throw a deep bomb to reggie brown that deflects off of sam madison's helmet, which he caught.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6

My dumbest thing came in the Super Bowl. Down by 1 or 2 (can't remember), there's about 10 seconds left on the clock (which is stopped) in the 4th. I've got the ball with one timeout on about their 15 yard line which I could have easily made the field goal. For some reason I really want the TD and know that even if I throw a completion and don't make it into the endzone, I'll still be able to call the timeout and kick the field goal.

So I snap the ball, my slot WR quickly comes across the middle and is open for the catch. He makes the catch and runs to about their 5 before being tackled. 3 seconds left, I call a timeout....or at least I attempted to several times before the clock runs out. Apparently I had no time outs left when I thought I had one. Game over. I lose the Super Bowl.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #22
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett67
I'm playing earlier with my Lions

To recap: I threw an INT, the player that intercepted the ball fumbled, I recovered the ball, I'm stupid, I challenged my own recovery and lost.
Of course no offense meant Garrett...but this sounds like something that could really happen to the poor Lions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »