Home

Velocity: Greater Degree of Difference

This is a discussion on Velocity: Greater Degree of Difference within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #17
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Velocity: Greater Degree of Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly_fire
I really like the primary passing mechanic the way it is. Besides tweaking the obvious(velocity, accuracy, trajectory) I also think alot can be done with the R stick similar to "Maximum Passing" in NFL2K5.

I have read a more than a few posts were the user had a receiver open, but behind or just to the side of the defendant and the ball was thrown right to the defender.

I really think being able to give the R stick as much sensitivity as possible for leading receivers would be great. Even add, yes, another slider, that would allow to adjust for stick sensitivity, similar to most 1st person shooters.

This could also be preset for different QBs so you could feel the difference in the game. Guys like Brady, Manning have alot of places they can put the ball and guys like Tavaris, Rex and Vince, not so much.
I agree. There are so many times where I get frustrated at a missed opportunity when I have an open guy that I can't drop a pass in to. A slider for sensitivity would be nice along with maybe a "touch" rating for QBs.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

I think the biggest challenge at this point is not even the R stick or sensitivity leading a receiver. I think it is with the pressure sensitive throwing. You basically have three choices, bullet, regular(touchy often), and lob) BUT, there are a LOT of variations of these in a hundred different situations.

Just this weekend, one pass that comes to mind is how Drew Brees led Reggie Bush on a swing pass. He led him, lobbed it high, but in a very short area of the flats. Bush got lit up, but I thought of Madden on that pass, b/c I don't think it could be replicated on the game as the passing mechanic is now.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #19
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Yes sir. Donny has been messing with ratings as well to see what happens if we broaden the ranges more - then I'm doing a little re-tuning on all the code behind it.
Just a quick thought, though I'm sure you and Donny have mulled it over already... one thing that would help balance the deep ball vs. the short ball... the physics of a pass... there's more downward angle on a pass at the end than there is upward angle at the beginning, and the ball slows down as it flies (i.e. the ball is moving the fastest as it's leaving the QB's hand, and decelerates from there).

I think accurately modeling the physics of a thrown ball would do a lot for the passing game.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
There are currently no plans to changing the primary mechanic of actually throwing - no analog r-stick passing or anything like that.
Good, because it's fine the way it is.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:05 AM   #21
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
There are currently no plans to changing the primary mechanic of actually throwing - no analog r-stick passing or anything like that.
THANK YOU!!! LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 02:18 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 12

Pass velocity in Madden isn't just an issue of how the pass looks.

It seems that the harder you try to throw the ball, the more aggressively the defense reacts to the ball. Kind of like how if you speed burst, the defenders close on you quicker.

It seems the faster passes are more apt to be intercepted than the more lofted passes. That may also be the case with swats.

Meanwhile, you can lead WRs better if you loft the ball more. Certainly touch is a factor in passing in real life. But if your WR has some separation, the QB should drill the ball, so that the defender can't close.

The harder passes should just have better results in general, instead of more interceptions. Imagine a TE between the LBs and the safeties. You want to get the ball over the LB but before the safeties can close.

But if you drill the ball in Madden, there's a chance that a LB who's 10 yards underneath the intended target leaps and intercepts the ball.

Over the years, some versions of Madden is easier than others for throwing over the middle, between the LBs and safeties.

The other thing is, on flats, the more you drill the ball, the further back the RB catches the ball, often resulting in a loss, even against LB blitzes where the MLB or one of the safeties is coming up late to cover the flats. I think Madden 05 let you drill the ball on flats and get good gains when blitzed.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #23
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
This last weekend I watched the Jets vs. Dolphins game, and I'm sure most of you saw the first Favre touchdown pass... forty some yards and the guy who caught it kinda got pulled five yards backwards into the endzone by a Dolphins defender.

What the highlights don't show is two plays earlier, the Dolphins QB, Chad Pennington, through a deep pass as well, and the difference was absolutely night and day. The strongest arm in the league vs. perhaps the weakest, and seeing that in action, so well illustrated like that, was astonishing.

As it is, the arm strength of nearly every QB in Madden is more similar to Favre... when in reality, Favre's arm strength is something unique (last I saw, he throws something like 15 miles per hour faster than any other QB in the league).

I'd like to see Tiburon tune this to a more realistic difference. Perhaps institute the curve that NCAA uses for speed for Madden arm strength. I'd like to start really feeling the difference between the good and the great.
Favre certainly does not throw 15 mph faster than everyone else, if he does have the strongest arm, its more around 3-5 mph faster. He's not throwing 75 mph, with then next closest 60.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #24
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
Favre certainly does not throw 15 mph faster than everyone else, if he does have the strongest arm, its more around 3-5 mph faster. He's not throwing 75 mph, with then next closest 60.
According to MNF's clocking, he's around 72 MPH and nobody else was clocked over 60. Given, this was 4 years ago, but he has a significantly stronger arm than most people in the NFL.

I remember watching it live, unfortunately I can't find a definitive source now, only people who remember the same thing.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »