Home

An Idea for User Catching

This is a discussion on An Idea for User Catching within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2008, 03:57 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 16
An Idea for User Catching

I think it would an interesting idea to give the user more control over catching by making the receiver's arms controlled by the right stick while the ball is in flight. That way, instead of doing the weird spin catch I've read other posters talking about, the user could move the stick where the ball is in relation to the receiver and the receiver will turn to try to make the catch, even if he is running the opposite direction (such as reaching one hand back to try and catch a pass thrown behind him).

Thoughts/alternate ideas/criticism (within reason) welcomed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Pro

Re: An Idea for User Catching

I thought I had a cool idea here. I guess no one else thought so.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Pro

Bballplaya72's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDogg09
I think it would an interesting idea to give the user more control over catching by making the receiver's arms controlled by the right stick while the ball is in flight. That way, instead of doing the weird spin catch I've read other posters talking about, the user could move the stick where the ball is in relation to the receiver and the receiver will turn to try to make the catch, even if he is running the opposite direction (such as reaching one hand back to try and catch a pass thrown behind him).

Thoughts/alternate ideas/criticism (within reason) welcomed.
I've been saying this same idea for years.

Pressing up on the Right Analog stick would result in a "jump ball" animation catch, where the main priority is to jump and get the ball, YAC is not really an option here. Maybe this time we can actually get a fade route to work.

Pressing down on the RA stick would result in sliding down for a catch and avoiding a big hit. If ball is not thrown low, this could be used for the "possession catch" where they make the catch, and secure the ball.

Pressing right or left on the RA stick would result in receivers catching the ball in stride and not loosing a step. Also, could be used for toe drag animations to stay in bounds. If a ball is thrown behind you you would hit the opposite direction to go back and get it, or hit the opposite direction of the sideline if you're going for a toe drag.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballplaya72

Pressing up on the Right Analog stick would result in a "jump ball" animation catch, where the main priority is to jump and get the ball, YAC is not really an option here. Maybe this time we can actually get a fade route to work.

Pressing down on the RA stick would result in sliding down for a catch and avoiding a big hit. If ball is not thrown low, this could be used for the "possession catch" where they make the catch, and secure the ball.

Pressing right or left on the RA stick would result in receivers catching the ball in stride and not loosing a step. Also, could be used for toe drag animations to stay in bounds. If a ball is thrown behind you you would hit the opposite direction to go back and get it, or hit the opposite direction of the sideline if you're going for a toe drag.
By pressing down do you mean like pushing the RA stick or moving the stick down?

My EASportworld.com profile. Check it for some GREAT Giants plays.
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/profile/4664087
Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Pro

bump.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

Interesting ideas. I like it. Kinda adds a baseball feel to catching the ball.

Make it happen.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 23
Thumbs up Re: An Idea for User Catching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballplaya72

I like this idea.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
I like this idea.
Me too.

Thought I'd bump this to see if this might still be an okay idea.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »