Home

Madden 09 Dominates US Sales in August

This is a discussion on Madden 09 Dominates US Sales in August within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #33
DickDalewood

OVR:
Re: Madden 09 Dominates US Sales in August

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
Actually, the 2k series has become bigger in death then it was in life. As great as the game was with 2k5, and as big as it's sales were (more than 2 million across the Xbox and PS2), it's only INCREASED in rep since then. It's become sort of a legend among the gaming community like the Dreamcast. If the NFL decided to shock the world and open the doors up to anyone again, I would guarantee you that NFL 2k10 would outsell Madden 2010 unless Madden managed to really bring it.

Whether it's warranted or not, people view 2k as the Jedi to EA's Empire. If it were to rise again, there would be so much hype and talk about them being "saviors" that it would over take Madden, maybe for good unless EA went back to the way they were last gen when they had to compete.
Sorry bro, but while you're correct on the "legend" that 2K has become, you are sorely mistaken to think that an NFL 2K10 would outsell Madden.

You actually make my point for me, stating that 2K has become legendary IN THE GAMING COMMUNITY. What you're failing to realize, however, is how small that community is compared to the masses. Spend a day walking the streets and ask random Joe Gamer what the greatest NFL game/franchise is and 2K won't even be a breath on their lips.

Madden is a machine, plain and simple. All of my friends, all of my friends friends, they LOVE Madden... absolutely love it. Don't be fooled into thinking that the opinions on these boards, or any internet boards for that matter, or the majority.

Now, having said all that, and while I really enjoy Madden this year, I would buy an NFL 2K game in a SECOND if it ever happened again.

It probably won't, but it would definitely be nice.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 32

I wont say Madden loss money but the sales are flat. Factor in the cost of inflation then 2% may even be considered a decrease.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #35
Pro

GamingJones's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
I'd bet a bag of donuts that NHL, FIFA and probably even Live will have greater than 2% increases in sales numbers this year. Make a great game, even in a poor economy, and the numbers will be there.
http://www.quickmba.com/marketing/product/lifecycle/

Quick marketing lesson. Madden is in it's mature stage and has already saturated the market. Their isn't going to be great growth by leaps and bounds.

Now what EA did was eliminate competition and has created the ability to dictate its pricing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #36
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Actually, the 2k series has become bigger in death then it was in life. As great as the game was with 2k5, and as big as it's sales were (more than 2 million across the Xbox and PS2), it's only INCREASED in rep since then. It's become sort of a legend among the gaming community like the Dreamcast. If the NFL decided to shock the world and open the doors up to anyone again, I would guarantee you that NFL 2k10 would outsell Madden 2010 unless Madden managed to really bring it.

Whether it's warranted or not, people view 2k as the Jedi to EA's Empire. If it were to rise again, there would be so much hype and talk about them being "saviors" that it would over take Madden, maybe for good unless EA went back to the way they were last gen when they had to compete.
You are seeming to forget or are ignoring a couple of things. Many of the sales can be attributed to 2K dropping the price to 19.99 in 05. As I recall, Madden still outsold it. Also, as someone already alluded to, while 2K has reached "legend" status in the gaming community it's largely ignored in the mainstream (to at least some small degree this is reflected in sales of APF 2K8). Madden is a sales machine, even in "down" years. It's mass appeal is what causes it to do well. While the "hardcore" market could certainly put a dent big enough for Madden execs to notice as far as sales are concerned, it would be hard to override the following Madden has garnered over the years.

As for the 2% being flat argument, it's tenuous at best. The fact is Madden has a much more established market than the games people are using for comparison. Not all profits are created equal. In addition to raw sales stats, there are two powerful factors that many keep overlooking: loyalty and familiarity...the latter likely being the most influencial. There have been several short term threats to the Madden "throne" but Madden has outlasted primarily for this reason (and while I agree that 2K would have been a more stable long term threat, it's presence would have only pushed a resource heavy EA into having to work harder to keep it's following...I highly doubt 2K would take over, particularly when they would have to raise their price point back up). People tend to be easy. Many fall into what's familiar as it makes them comfortable. 2K probably had the best idea to bypass that to an extent with it's 05 price drop. It's a fair assumption that it would have made EA work, but now all that's moot. EA is doing just fine.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAbbitt
http://www.quickmba.com/marketing/product/lifecycle/

Quick marketing lesson. Madden is in it's mature stage and has already saturated the market. Their isn't going to be great growth by leaps and bounds.
I respectfully disagree about Madden having saturated the market. There are plenty of people out there who would love to have a good NFL game to play but have passed on Madden because it simply isn't worth the $60. Take a look at the 2k board, and even this board for that matter, and you'll see what I mean.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #38
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
Sorry bro, but while you're correct on the "legend" that 2K has become, you are sorely mistaken to think that an NFL 2K10 would outsell Madden.

You actually make my point for me, stating that 2K has become legendary IN THE GAMING COMMUNITY. What you're failing to realize, however, is how small that community is compared to the masses. Spend a day walking the streets and ask random Joe Gamer what the greatest NFL game/franchise is and 2K won't even be a breath on their lips.

Madden is a machine, plain and simple. All of my friends, all of my friends friends, they LOVE Madden... absolutely love it. Don't be fooled into thinking that the opinions on these boards, or any internet boards for that matter, or the majority.

Now, having said all that, and while I really enjoy Madden this year, I would buy an NFL 2K game in a SECOND if it ever happened again.

It probably won't, but it would definitely be nice.
Dude, think about it. If tomorrow the NFL said, ok....it's open house and we're allowing anyone to develop our games again, what would be the biggest headline? Would it be Madden 2010? Or would it be the return of 2k? What game would be hyped into the heavens on every magazine cover and every gaming site? It would be NFL 2k10. It would be the "Halo" of spots games. How could Madden, even with their marketing, hope to trump that amount of ridiculous media exposure? They couldn't.

Also, you say that outside of the gaming community, no one cares. But do you not realize that the people in the gaming MEDIA are gaming nerds,junkies and die hard gamers? They remember 2k. They remember when the license deal happened, and how Madden suffered because of it. They'd have a FIELD DAY. It would be nothing but "second coming" articles. The kids that don't know 2k suddenly would. And they'd buy into it especially if they lowered the game to $40.00 and dropped it early.

I really don't think you took the whole "megaton" media blitz into account. Halo didn't sell 2 million copies in a week because it's the best game in history....you know what I'm saying?

Last edited by Nintari; 09-15-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #39
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Dude, think about it. If tomorrow the NFL said, ok....it's open house and we're allowing anyone to develop our games again, what would be the biggest headline? Would it be Madden 2010? Or would it be the return of 2k? What game would be hyped into the heavens on every magazine cover and every gaming site? It would be NFL 2k10. It would be the "Halo" of spots games. How could Madden, even with their marketing, hope to trump that amount of ridiculous media exposure? They couldn't.

Also, you say that outside of the gaming community, no one cares. But do you not realize that the people in the gaming MEDIA are gaming nerds,junkies and die hard gamers? They remember 2k. They remember when the license deal happened, and how Madden suffered because of it. They'd have a FIELD DAY. It would be nothing but "second coming" articles. The kids that don't know 2k suddenly would. And they'd buy into it especially if they lowered the game to $40.00 and dropped it early.

I really don't think you took the whole "megaton" media blitz into account. Halo didn't sell 2 million copies in a week because it's the best game in history....you know what I'm saying?
Exactly. Halo 2 DIDN'T sell because it's the greatest game in history... it sold on name and reputation. Just like Madden does every year, and will continue to do as long as it is on the market.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #40
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
Exactly. Halo 2 DIDN'T sell because it's the greatest game in history... it sold on name and reputation. Just like Madden does every year, and will continue to do as long as it is on the market.
I agree with this guy entirely. Sure, an NFL2K 10 would be highly anticipated, but not by enough people for it to matter. Madden would outsell it 2 to 1, easily. Maybe even 3 to 1.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »