Home

Drop HESTER SPEED?

This is a discussion on Drop HESTER SPEED? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #17
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Drop HESTER SPEED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furq
Now I admit I don't know a whole lot about the NFL hall compared to maybe some other sports but I don't see a kick returner being put into a hall of fame. He's a great kick returner that's for sure, but I don't see enough people caring about that.
I never said he would make the Hall, I just stated if wouldn't be a surprise if he did.

And people should care about his special teams skills. When you return the first kick off of the Super Bowl for a touchdown and score numerous points off of special teams, you should be at least given consideration as someone that people should "care" about.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 09-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
I never said he would make the Hall, I just stated if wouldn't be a surprise if he did.

And people should care about his special teams skills. When you return the first kick off of the Super Bowl for a touchdown and score numerous points off of special teams, you should be at least given consideration as someone that people should "care" about.
Desmond Howard is a Super Bowl MVP.... where is he now?

Hester may be the Bears best offensive weapon, and sure he gives em good field position... but in my books he is far from a great player, maybe if he learns how to run routes and catch some balls to help the Bears offense maybe then I'll give him some credit.

As it is I would never kick to the Bears, not because of Hester but because their offense at best, is a sub par CFL team
Old 09-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehitokiri
Primetime was the best shutdown corner ever !! there will never be another shutdown corner like primetime. Not only that he made his defense better. I like Hester but please dont say he is better than primetime. This is what happens when you got this young bucks posting things they never saw on sundays !!! yeah maybe they saw the old washed out NEON DEION !! but they never saw PRIMETIME in his prime. Oh yeah he couldnt tackle a grandmother ... he didnt need to his whole team was better just cuz he was there. Qb had to look for his second,third and fourth option enough time for his lineman and linebackers to get to the Qb and the seconday ?? got better he made pro bowlers out of eric davis in san fran and williams in dallas !!
There will never be another shutdown corner because the rules of the game were changed for Peyton Manning.

Do you remember a few years back when the Pats abused the Colts WRs in the AFC championship game? They added the stupidest rule of all time "Illegal Touching".

So in part you are right there will never be another shutdown corner... because of the STINKING RULES.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 6

The rules were never changed, they were just enforced more often. Also, I don't know what they dropped his speed to, but EA probably realized that he was way too much of a threat in the passing game, which is inconsistent with Hester's abilities. I hope I don't get some crazy counter post, cuz I admit that I'm just throwing darts here.

However, he may only return kicks, but he dominates it. Desmond Howard was a good return man too, but he didn't dominate the position like Hester does. Even if he doesn't score, he still gets his team great field position either by returning or the kick flying out of bounds.

Also, to the above poster:
There have been several rules that have been altered/changed/added in response to a specific player. Off the top of my head, I know that the league started to flag d-lineman from flinching in attempt to get o-lineman to false start because of Niel Smith, Deacon Jones got head slapping outlawed, and don't forget Roy the "acl ripper" Williams for his horse collar routine.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101
The rules were never changed, they were just enforced more often. Also, I don't know what they dropped his speed to, but EA probably realized that he was way too much of a threat in the passing game, which is inconsistent with Hester's abilities. I hope I don't get some crazy counter post, cuz I admit that I'm just throwing darts here.

However, he may only return kicks, but he dominates it. Desmond Howard was a good return man too, but he didn't dominate the position like Hester does. Even if he doesn't score, he still gets his team great field position either by returning or the kick flying out of bounds.

Also, to the above poster:
There have been several rules that have been altered/changed/added in response to a specific player. Off the top of my head, I know that the league started to flag d-lineman from flinching in attempt to get o-lineman to false start because of Niel Smith, Deacon Jones got head slapping outlawed, and don't forget Roy the "acl ripper" Williams for his horse collar routine.
All I am saying is the age of the shutdown corner died with that addition of that rule. DBs used to be able to touch the receiver till the all was in the air. Now if they breath on them its 5 yards (pun intended, but you see my point).

Oh and Roy Williams nickname is

Roy "pump fake" Williams... due to the fact if you pump fake thats almost always automatic 6pts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhennes
He's incredibly fast, but he's not the fastest guy in the league.

His success lies in his ability to make cuts at nearly full speed and to start/stop on a dime. But it's seems hard to replicate that in Madden so I assume that was their rationale for giving him the 100 originally.
Who's faster?
Old 09-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #23
Rookie

MiamiWarrior's Arena

OVR: 2

This has quickly turned to a innocent question of why Hester's speed got lowered into "Who's the better shutdown CB?" Huh?
Old 09-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #24
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiWarrior
This has quickly turned to a innocent question of why Hester's speed got lowered into "Who's the better shutdown CB?" Huh?
Sorry I helped bring it off topic. Just wanted to make a point that the reason that there are no more shut down corners is because of the rule changes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »