Home

QB doesn't slide, he passes

This is a discussion on QB doesn't slide, he passes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Pro

utorde's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: QB doesn't slide, he passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbowski
This is ian (madden 09 lead designer discussing this issue and the the fix in the patch:
Quote:
LOS LIMIT
The line of scrimmage (LOS) limit is useless during gameplay. The quarterback can scramble from the backfield while being pressured, pass the line of scrimmage and complete a pass to his receiver without any penalty. More devastating to the defense is this: the defensive back (DB) breaks coverage and leave the receiver wide open, causing the QB to complete a deep pass.
To combat this glitch, Senior Designer Cummings states: "We addressed this by making sure the DB will no longer break on the ball when the QB crosses the line while throwing."
This means that the QB crossing the line of scrimmage (even though it is a violation/penalty) will remain in the gameplay, while the defensive back stay with his man and not break coverage.
Ian -"He makes this sound like a massive issue when it is in fact not. This is extremely hard to reproduce and was resolved in the best way possible..."

Quote:
To combat this unrealistic glitch, Cummings states: "Not only are we fixing this play (i.e. we aren't removing it)..."
Rather than eliminating this glitch altogether, he makes a clear contradictory statement by stating it will not be removed but will be fixed, which makes one wonder if it will be altered at all.

Ian- "Total BS. This glitch is getting eliminated, despite this totally slanted negativity and skepticism."

So as you can see, it appears they are taking this out of the game... let's wait and see.

I hope they take it out, but it seems that they are just contradicting each other in those comments. Maybe I just misunderstood all of that, i'm pretty wore out right now, but I couldn't make sense of any of it, lol.

I don't play Madden online, so it won't hurt me there. I haven't really noticed the CPU doing this to me, I will be paying closer attention from now on to see. As far as myself doing it, I don't scramble much, only when I have to, maybe 3 or 4 times a game, so it's not that big of a deal there even but when I won't to slide I expect him to slide and not pass the dang ball.

Undoubtedly it only happens in actual games too. As I said in my original post, the first game that I noticed this to happen I scrambled past the LOS 3 yards and tried to slide and instead he passed the ball. So later on in the game I scrambled on purpose again for about 7 yards to see what would happen and he did in fact slide that time.

So later on I went into Practice mode to try and figure out if maybe it only happens on short gains, like the game was not correctly recognizing the LOS , and if you gain enough yards the game would finally recognize you as being past the LOS and the slide would would correctly. Well, in Practice mode it worked correctly every single time. I continually ran pass plays and scrambled on purpose every single time to try and test it out. Every single time, as soon as I would cross the LOS, the pass icons would go away and I could immediately slide, no matter how short or long of a gain. I could properly slide just inches past the LOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
what is the QB slide button on PS3?

It's X on the 360, so it should be Square on the PS & PS3. That is if I remember the button layouts on the PS/PS3 controller. Anyway, out of the 4 face buttons, it's the one to the left, which I believe is the Square on PS/PS2/PS3. You tap to slide and hold it down for a dive. Of course with a QB diving isn't usually the thing to do unless he has good carry attribute.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: QB doesn't slide, he passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by utorde
I hope they take it out, but it seems that they are just contradicting each other in those comments. Maybe I just misunderstood all of that, i'm pretty wore out right now, but I couldn't make sense of any of it, lol.

I don't play Madden online, so it won't hurt me there. I haven't really noticed the CPU doing this to me, I will be paying closer attention from now on to see. As far as myself doing it, I don't scramble much, only when I have to, maybe 3 or 4 times a game, so it's not that big of a deal there even but when I won't to slide I expect him to slide and not pass the dang ball.

Undoubtedly it only happens in actual games too. As I said in my original post, the first game that I noticed this to happen I scrambled past the LOS 3 yards and tried to slide and instead he passed the ball. So later on in the game I scrambled on purpose again for about 7 yards to see what would happen and he did in fact slide that time.

So later on I went into Practice mode to try and figure out if maybe it only happens on short gains, like the game was not correctly recognizing the LOS , and if you gain enough yards the game would finally recognize you as being past the LOS and the slide would would correctly. Well, in Practice mode it worked correctly every single time. I continually ran pass plays and scrambled on purpose every single time to try and test it out. Every single time, as soon as I would cross the LOS, the pass icons would go away and I could immediately slide, no matter how short or long of a gain. I could properly slide just inches past the LOS.

It's X on the 360, so it should be Square on the PS & PS3. That is if I remember the button layouts on the PS/PS3 controller. Anyway, out of the 4 face buttons, it's the one to the left, which I believe is the Square on PS/PS2/PS3. You tap to slide and hold it down for a dive. Of course with a QB diving isn't usually the thing to do unless he has good carry attribute.
LOL... yeah i thought that might be confusing... let me explain.

the boxed writing is of a user complaining in a thread about what ian wrote in his patch 2 summary and the non boxed writing is ian's response (other than the last 2 lines- they belong to my mind!!!)
got it????

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »